Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 35

Thread: Question for the CTEK geeks out there.

  1. #11
    Senior Member Daverichardson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Posts
    2,884
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have certainly never heard any high pitched whine from mine.

    But then again, we have bats around our house. I used to hear their high pitched sound, but haven’t heard it for years. I guess my ears can no longer hear that frequency, but what I don’t hear I don’t worry about!
    2006 XK Indigo Blue with Caramel seats and Sable carpets

  2. #12
    Senior Member frankc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Malvern England
    Posts
    5,861
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Daverichardson View Post
    I have certainly never heard any high pitched whine from mine.

    But then again, we have bats around our house. I used to hear their high pitched sound, but haven’t heard it for years. I guess my ears can no longer hear that frequency, but what I don’t hear I don’t worry about!
    I get a high pitched whine around the house all the time. You think I would get used to it after 40 years of marriage.
    2003 Zircon Blue XKR Convertible.
    It's in the detail.
    [SIZE=4]

    For a list of most topics written in this 'Story' Please click here.

    Cannot see any photos? PHOTOBUCKET FIX please CLICK HERE FOR SOLUTION

  3. #13
    Senior Member fat controller's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Ashford, Middlesex
    Posts
    2,446
    Post Thanks / Like
    Perfectly normal for a switched mode power supply It is purely HF noise.

    I am fortunate (or unfortunate as you may see it) that I have very sensitive hearing, and despite being that bit more mature nowadays, I still have the ability to hear some very high frequencies indeed - in fact, if it were to be making its noise, I could take Mrs C into the room and ask her to listen to it, and she would not even hear it.
    ex - 2002 X-Type 2.5 V6; 1995 XJ Sport 3.2; 1998 Mercedes C180 Elegance; VW Passat 2.0TDI (140); Audi A4 Avant 2.0TDI; Nissan Qashqai 1.5dCi; Current - 2007 XJ 4.2 V8 Sovereign, and occasionally an Electric Wheelchair!

    It wasn't me! A big boy done it and ran away.

  4. Likes Jim_S-V6_2004 liked this post
  5. #14
    Member Marco Polo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    99
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frankc View Post
    At this time of year I put my CTEK in the boot and connect it using their quick connector. My pref is using the Charge/Recon setting. Love the idea of just plugging it in and not having to check on it. Old fashioned chargers could actually cause the battery to almost boil or at least ruin the plates.

    Regarding the high pitched whine. Id send off an email to CTEK and ask them about it. Does not sound normal to me.
    Like you, Frank, I used to use my CTEK with the Recon setting on together with the Normal Battery Program setting until I read the post from Alan Jan-Janin on the XKEC forum.
    https://www.xkec.co.uk/xkforum/viewt...dition#p259702
    I then read the manual - CTEK do say in the section on Charging Programs, only to use Recon mode once every 12 months. I was concerned about the possibility of damage being caused by prolonged use of the higher voltage, so now only regularly use the Normal Battery Program. I've been doing this for over 3 years now - works fine for me with a Varta battery that was in my 2011 XKR when I bought it in June 2015. I'm only doing 3000 miles a year, mostly short local trips.

    Marco

  6. Thanks Ashanti thanked for this post
  7. #15
    Senior Member frankc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Malvern England
    Posts
    5,861
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco Polo View Post
    Like you, Frank, I used to use my CTEK with the Recon setting on together with the Normal Battery Program setting until I read the post from Alan Jan-Janin on the XKEC forum.
    https://www.xkec.co.uk/xkforum/viewt...dition#p259702
    I then read the manual - CTEK do say in the section on Charging Programs, only to use Recon mode once every 12 months. I was concerned about the possibility of damage being caused by prolonged use of the higher voltage, so now only regularly use the Normal Battery Program. I've been doing this for over 3 years now - works fine for me with a Varta battery that was in my 2011 XKR when I bought it in June 2015. I'm only doing 3000 miles a year, mostly short local trips.

    Marco
    Good advice. I only use my CTEK once a year anyway. When the weather forecast is bad, expecting snow etc or I know I am not going to be using the car for a while I stick the CTEK on there. The good thing about the CTEK is that it does not just charge/recon the battery but also monitors its condition. However you have made a valid point and I will check up on that.

    I too do only 3000 a year in mine. A Varta battery user too!

    Update. Just been on to the CTEK website and every relevant PDF I can find and I have found nothing about not leaving it on recon or not using it very often. Perhaps the article that Alan took the extract from refers to an old setup? This is just one of the many PDF's I read about https://www.ctek.com/storage/ma/ae8f...nual-UK-EN.pdf
    Last edited by frankc; 12-01-19 at 22:19.
    2003 Zircon Blue XKR Convertible.
    It's in the detail.
    [SIZE=4]

    For a list of most topics written in this 'Story' Please click here.

    Cannot see any photos? PHOTOBUCKET FIX please CLICK HERE FOR SOLUTION

  8. Thanks Ashanti thanked for this post
  9. #16
    Senior Member Poundy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Alvechurch
    Posts
    1,451
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frankc View Post
    Good advice. I only use my CTEK once a year anyway. When the weather forecast is bad, expecting snow etc or I know I am not going to be using the car for a while I stick the CTEK on there. The good thing about the CTEK is that it does not just charge/recon the battery but also monitors its condition. However you have made a valid point and I will check up on that.

    I too do only 3000 a year in mine. A Varta battery user too

    Update. Just been on to the CTEK website and every relevant PDF I can find and I have found nothing about not leaving it on recon or not using it very often. Perhaps the article that Alan took the extract from refers to an old setup? This is just one of the many PDF's I read about https://www.ctek.com/storage/ma/ae8f...nual-UK-EN.pdf

    Hi Frank,
    The PDF's say to use once a year, I agree it doesn't say you cannot use it more often but the fact that it boosts the charge to 15.8V might be counter productive with regular use, dunno.
    It says it helps get rid of sulphation and is for wet plate batteries, which would make it unsuitable for AGM Glass Mat batteries but then goes on to show a AGM/RECON step on the chart ???? I just use mine on Normal or AGM whichever car I have hooked up.

    I have been using Ctek for many years and when I was out of the country for 4 months had 2 cars left hooked up while away and the batteries were in top condition when I got back. Of course with all the safety features on them if anything starts going wrong they just shut down
    64 Plate RSport 3.0D All Black, Ceramic coated, self healing front car wrap, 19" alloys

  10. Likes fat controller, frankc liked this post
  11. #17
    Senior Member FastEddie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Milton Keynes
    Posts
    1,644
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not really sure what battery conditioning can be done to any batteries after the standard wet plate types.

    You can still buy desulfators / desulphators , spell check doesn't like either of those ........

    They basically give the battery a jolt of high voltage periodically in order vibrate the lead / sulphur from the plates.

    I'm guessing this is what the CTEK was doing in the early days of introduction but in a modern way.

    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Battery-D...-/142950567993
    2009 X358 LWB 2.7 Tdvi , Liquid Silver , 125k+ and going strong ......



  12. Likes frankc, Poundy liked this post
  13. #18
    Senior Member Poundy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Alvechurch
    Posts
    1,451
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FastEddie View Post
    I'm not really sure what battery conditioning can be done to any batteries after the standard wet plate types.

    You can still buy desulfators / desulphators , spell check doesn't like either of those ........

    They basically give the battery a jolt of high voltage periodically in order vibrate the lead / sulphur from the plates.

    I'm guessing this is what the CTEK was doing in the early days of introduction but in a modern way.

    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Battery-D...-/142950567993
    I agree, and presume it wouldn't be applicable to a Absorbed Glass Mat battery, as there would be nothing to vibrate it from. I fired a email of to CTEK will see what they come back with lol!
    64 Plate RSport 3.0D All Black, Ceramic coated, self healing front car wrap, 19" alloys

  14. #19
    Senior Member Engineer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    London
    Posts
    986
    Post Thanks / Like
    Stage 1 is for desulfation which is fine to use on AGM batteries.

    Stage 6 recon is for acid stratification which some experts say AGM batteries don't suffer from, but CTEK do have it as an option
    Last edited by Engineer; 13-01-19 at 18:43.
    “If you see a gap and don't go for it, you are no longer a racing driver”

    JAGUAR STR

  15. Likes Jim_S-V6_2004 liked this post
  16. #20
    Senior Member Poundy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Alvechurch
    Posts
    1,451
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Engineer View Post
    Stage 1 is for desulfation which is fine to use on AGM batteries.

    Stage 6 recon is for acid stratification which some experts say AGM batteries don't suffer from, but CTEK do have it as an option
    Confusing that they list the AGM RECON on the Charging Programs & Options Combination page, when there isn't a mode setting to get to it. I can only presume it is what happens if an AGM battery is connected and then the normal recon mode is selected. It's not a mode I am likely to use with my AGM battery but you cannot have too much information

    It also lists Normal mode for Many AGM batteries
    Then AGM for most AGM batteries like Optima etc. So what's that all about then?
    Last edited by Poundy; 13-01-19 at 20:51.
    64 Plate RSport 3.0D All Black, Ceramic coated, self healing front car wrap, 19" alloys

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •