Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Question for the CTEK geeks out there.

Post Thanks / Like

Question for the CTEK geeks out there.

Can the CTEK units be left connected and commence charging automatically after the battery side is connected ?

Or , do you need to select a charging function / cycle each time you connect the battery to the charging tails ?

I normally use solar or 3 stage chargers and de-sulphating units which do a similar job on my standing vehicles.

Just wondered if the CTEK's can be left permanently on mains and do their business when a battery is connected.

Thanks, Eddie
    2009 X358 XJ LWB 2.7 Tdvi , Liquid Silver , 100k+ and going strong.
    Bumper reflectors drilled and fitted with 3W side marker lights.
    Fog lamps / DRL running with HID colour match of dipped beam.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good morning Edward,

Fire and Forget my lad, fire and forget.

Well, nearly.

All that is required is to select the battery type, AGM or Standard and whether its a car or bike battery.

Whatever selection you've made will remain each time you turn it on.

For me,

It's plugged in and on, selection made and connected via ctek extension leads to the comfort lead attached to the battery.

Should I fancy a hoon or waft, I open the boot and disconnect at the comfort leads connection point, close the boot, start the car and drive off.

On returning, you've guessed it, open the boot and reconnect, I never turn the power off to the unit, but if I do it remembers its last setting.

My car sits for 5 days unused in the fresh air.

Richard
    Silentum Sicarius

2006MY Super V8 LWB in Midnight Black with Ivory
    All options except Sunroof. Lambswool Overmats are MIA
    Longlife Exhaust - Waft 'N' Loud
    Nextbase Dashcam's Forward & Aft

My Showroom Thread

2008MY LR Discovery 3 HSE V6 2.7TD
    Buckingham Blue with Alpacca

You're a long time dead, Enjoy life whilst you have it!

3. Likes Jimbov8, Jim_S-V6_2004 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FastEddie View Post
    Can the CTEK units be left connected and commence charging automatically after the battery side is connected ?

Or , do you need to select a charging function / cycle each time you connect the battery to the charging tails ?

I normally use solar or 3 stage chargers and de-sulphating units which do a similar job on my standing vehicles.

Just wondered if the CTEK's can be left permanently on mains and do their business when a battery is connected.

Thanks, Eddie
    I have the CTEK MXS 5 all the info you need to operate it correctly is in the manual below:

https://www.ctek.com/storage/ma/b343...nual-UK-EN.pdf
    “If you see a gap and don't go for it, you are no longer a racing driver”

JAGUAR STR

Post Thanks / Like
    One little caveat based on my own experience, which is admittedly quite limited as I only bought one in recent months. I have the comfort lead fitted to my battery, and as mentioned above the ability to unplug and drive away really is so handy (and handier than you might think until you actually have one and do it a few times); and as has been mentioned, the unit itself seems to be clever enough to remember that it is set for a car battery, and it then seems to decide what it wants to do based on the charge current being drawn when it is plugged in.

My unit lives in our outhouse/utility room with the extended cable running out through a gap in the door frame, and then out of a gated alleyway into the driveway and to the car. Just prior to Christmas, there was a couple of occasions that I went into the outhouse and could hear and extremely high pitched noise, but could not pinpoint it initially - after a few attempts, I tracked it down to the CTEK (in my defence it was placed next to the washing machine and tumble dryer......) - - the noise was the switched mode power supply within the unit chattering away, and when I plugged the car in and it was under load there was no noise. I suspect that the noise was from the capacitors within, so there may be the potential for shortening the units life if left plugged in and not in use. Also, don't forget the fire risks with any appliance that is plugged in and unattended.
    ex - 2002 X-Type 2.5 V6; 1995 XJ Sport 3.2; 1998 Mercedes C180 Elegance; VW Passat 2.0TDI (140); Audi A4 Avant 2.0TDI; Nissan Qashqai 1.5dCi; Current - 2007 XJ 4.2 V8 Sovereign, and occasionally an Electric Wheelchair!

It wasn't me! A big boy done it and ran away.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good point FC.

However, my cars battery is only away from its juice for part of a day on most occasions.

Any overnight jaunt does have me turn it off and in summer/warmer months, it's never connected.

Perhaps I'm a tad too blasé about leaving it plugged in and likening it to phone chargers, etc, etc.

There is also the one other problem, dimwittedness, starting and driving off with it plugged in.

Thankfully my OCD routine has saved me from this so far.

Silentum Sicarius

2006MY Super V8 LWB in Midnight Black with Ivory
    All options except Sunroof. Lambswool Overmats are MIA
    Longlife Exhaust - Waft 'N' Loud
    Nextbase Dashcam's Forward & Aft

My Showroom Thread

2008MY LR Discovery 3 HSE V6 2.7TD
    Buckingham Blue with Alpacca

You're a long time dead, Enjoy life whilst you have it!

7. Likes fat controller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well , that sounds like good news all round and I'll be giving the CTEK a go on the next project.

I did read the manual online but read it as it might need to see some user input each time it was used.

It's an agricultural one so fire not a concern , connect and charge on a 25 amp Magcode connector , perfect.

Thanks for the responses chaps , appreciated

9. Likes fat controller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashanti View Post
    Good point FC.

However, my cars battery is only away from its juice for part of a day on most occasions.

Any overnight jaunt does have me turn it off and in summer/warmer months, it's never connected.

Perhaps I'm a tad too blasé about leaving it plugged in and likening it to phone chargers, etc, etc.

There is also the one other problem, dimwittedness, starting and driving off with it plugged in.

Thankfully my OCD routine has saved me from this so far.

"Why is the boot lid open" ? says she.

I hadn't gone very far.........................................honest .
    A very cynical grumpy old man
    Late 2004 2.7D auto
    Connoisseur of Fine Ales
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - What a ride, where are the wimmin?"

11. Likes Ashanti, Jim_S-V6_2004 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Although a well placed external Magcode connector will allow for a drive off .......

For Mr. Enchante , we may have to look outside of the box for a belt and braces solution.

Something similar but slightly smaller than the ones used on the electric buses !

They are a tad bigger than a Samsung wireless charger , refrigeration cooled too.

13. Likes fat controller, Ashanti liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think we are all a bit blasé about leaving chargers on, and I think that this is part of the reason that they are wanting smart meters in place - when they start charging for apparent power, leaving that charger plugged in with nothing charging will be costing you money (and in turn, making more profits for the thieves..... I mean, energy companies :coughs:
    ex - 2002 X-Type 2.5 V6; 1995 XJ Sport 3.2; 1998 Mercedes C180 Elegance; VW Passat 2.0TDI (140); Audi A4 Avant 2.0TDI; Nissan Qashqai 1.5dCi; Current - 2007 XJ 4.2 V8 Sovereign, and occasionally an Electric Wheelchair!

It wasn't me! A big boy done it and ran away.

15. Likes Ashanti liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    At this time of year I put my CTEK in the boot and connect it using their quick connector. My pref is using the Charge/Recon setting. Love the idea of just plugging it in and not having to check on it. Old fashioned chargers could actually cause the battery to almost boil or at least ruin the plates.

Regarding the high pitched whine. Id send off an email to CTEK and ask them about it. Does not sound normal to me.
    2003 Zircon Blue XKR Convertible.
    It's in the detail.

To see index of "Franks Story" up to 8th March 2017 Please Click Here. Thanks!

Cannot see any photos? PHOTOBUCKET FIX please CLICK HERE FOR SOLUTION

17. Likes fat controller liked this post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast