Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XJR Buying advice

Post Thanks / Like

XJR Buying advice

Hello everybody,
    This is my first post on this forum.I have been having a look through the posts and there certainly seems to be some friendly and knowledgeable XJ Owners out there. Iím not a Jaguar owner as yet.Ive been looking through the classifieds and have come across a XJR on a 55 plate for £10995 which seems a reasonable price. The garage although I donít know it personally looks to have a good reputation and as a first time Jaguar buyer I would be happier with a trade sale.
    The issue that concerns me is that the car is a Chinese import. Im sure there are disadvantages of purchasing a Chinese import, are the specs the same, are there any problems when it comes to servicing and getting parts. ARe the imports known for any problems the Uk cars donít have.
    One thing I have noticed without actually going to view the car is the square rear number plate. Iím not keen on it can it be converted to a UK Rectangular style with a new fixing kit or will the boot lid have to be replaced.
    I have noticed a couple of other garages are keen to point out that their car is not an import so the alarm bells are ringing a little
    Any advice on this issue would be really appreciated.
    thank you in advance
    Gareth

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, welcome to the forum, this is the newer XJ forum so you would get more response from putting it in the X350 forum which is the model you are looking for. All the best in your hunt for a Jaguar XJR.
    I have a Super V8 myself.
    I cannot help you with the answer to the Chinese import differences but I would be sure that you would need a new or secondhand boot lid as the moulded in number plate area is a different shape.
    Previous Jaguars : 1985 4.2 Sov, 1988 3.6 Sov, 1990 4.0 Sov, 1994 3.2 Sov, 1998 4.0 Sov lwb, 2000 4.0 Sov lwb.2003 XJ 350 3.5se
    Current cars : 2011 XJL 3.0 Luxury, 2004 Xj Super V8 SWB, 2008 Transit ( my work van ), 2008 Mercedes GL420, 2015 Mercedes S500 AMG line

3. Thanks Gareth71 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great to have you on the forum.The xjr is a great car but you would probably find a v8 or supercharged 3 l perfectly adequate in England. The engines are all similar and pretty sound as long as you check the water and supercharger pumps.They tend to make grinding noises for going.
    if you are talking a 2010 xj then it would have been made and assembled in uk.I understand that some sold in China are now assembled in India but I don’t think that started till 2016.If you have the VIN the 10th position will tell you the year i.e. A is 2010.You can interpret the whole Vin and Topix will give you the build spec and market.
    I am in NZ And we get a lot of imports including many from the UK. Both my x351 were new but from overseas markets. The 2010 was from Japan and the navigation system is very difficult to convert so I didn’t bother.The car was a v8 short wheelbase Premium Luxury.However it was well specced . Look particularlrly for 14 way seats( at least) not 10 way. The 600 w stereo ( at least) 19” wheels ( at least). If it has blind spot and acc it will be a top spec and probably have massage seats and dual screen.My 2010 was a faultless car.
    I would be surprised if the one you are looking was from China ( unless imported for dignitary) but the are a lot from Asia usually stored in Singapore.My second x351( current) is a cancelled Indonesia car which I think was stored for a couple of years in Singapore.The heat and moisture has taken some toll particularly on the internal switches which became sticky and the headlight cleaners and water washer which leaked.I also had a faulty dual screen.You can tell by looking in the crannies they can’t clean around the rear window for grime and checking all the internal switches( part. steering wheel)for stickiness.You can clean the switches but it takes time and all the switches are thousands of dollars to replace.
    Jaguar builds every car to a different spec.It has been one of their major problems in foreign markets.Do not assume it will be fully specced as they often lack very basic features( blind spot and fully variable seats.) Do not assume that because it is a portfolio or autobiography or XJR it is specced like others.However if you make a list of the essential specs you want you should find a car you like.IMHO the 2013MY to 2015MY petrol are the best price point balancing goodies with price.
    Or you could throw it all to the wind and get a 575!
    White XJL portfolio 3 litre s/c ecu to S MY2015

5. Thanks Gareth71 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Plus 1 for the wrong section.

Welcome to the forum, great to have you with us.

IIRC, the boot or part of it as I think they split into 2, will need changing to Euro spec to rid you of the square plate.

The Navigation unit I believe is problematical to change the software to Europe.

On another note, the Japanese FM frequency is not as broad as ours, finishing in the high 90's, so this might also be an issue.

Do your research and decide, the imported cars seem expensive, probably as they are lower mileage and from far drier climates.

The XJR is a fantastic car, but the Super V8 is its equal for performance and comes in LWB or SWB forms, with lots of toys and out and out comfort.

Rich
    Silentum Sicarius

2006MY Super V8 LWB
    Midnight Black with Ivory & Black Suedecloth Headlining
    All options except Sunroof
    Longlife Exhaust & a Caldoofy - Waft 'N' Loud
    Bespoke Sheepskin Rugs
    Nextbase Duo Dashcam

My Showroom Thread

2008MY LR Discovery 3 HSE V6 2.7TD
    Buckingham Blue with Alpacca
    Nextbase Duo Dashcam

You're a long time dead, Enjoy life whilst you have it!

7. Thanks Gareth71 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome. There have been quite a few cars from Japan on Autotrader recently, all with lower miles. One problem is that the true mileage can't be checked as far as I know.
    You would have to look at wear and tear on the usual parts like the pedals and steering wheel.
    I've owned three 4.2 XJR's and they are a truly great car.
    Good luck in your search.
    Train hard, fight easy.

Black on Ivory 5.0 Stratstone 'Le Mans' special edition XFR.

9. Thanks Gareth71 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    You don't say what the mileage is to compare with the advertised price.
    2008 XJR + sun roof + soft leather + ACC + retrofit: burr walnut interior trim
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    2007 X-Type 3.0 SP Auto + retrofit: walnut dash & gear knob + rear sill protectors + mudflaps + Al powerwash crucifers + memory powerfolds

"Life's too short for touchscreens - give me lots of nice buttons to press"

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe this might be it, click here

If it is then I can only give positive comments for the garage, it being where I bought my Super V8 from in May 2015.

Would I pay the asking price or close to it, probably not and would look elsewhere.

This one looks the nicer of the two, but still in my view, overpriced.

Now here is a car I would be off to look at A Super V8 in British/Jaguar Racing Green and still with its Lambswool Mats.

3k cheaper before discount, which would leave loads left to spend on a gearbox oil change and renewing the valley pipes, etc.

Oh and it's a UK car.

It looks well cared for and it's MOT history is unblemished.
    Silentum Sicarius

2006MY Super V8 LWB
    Midnight Black with Ivory & Black Suedecloth Headlining
    All options except Sunroof
    Longlife Exhaust & a Caldoofy - Waft 'N' Loud
    Bespoke Sheepskin Rugs
    Nextbase Duo Dashcam

My Showroom Thread

2008MY LR Discovery 3 HSE V6 2.7TD
    Buckingham Blue with Alpacca
    Nextbase Duo Dashcam

You're a long time dead, Enjoy life whilst you have it!

12. Thanks Jimbov8 thanked for this post
    Likes Jimbov8 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello thank you for your reply and welcome it’s appreciated. I realised that I had put this post on the wrong part of the forum as soon as I had done it.I should read things properly. I love the picture of the two Jaguars you have got the colour is great.THere doesn’t seem to be many Jaguars for sale in that shade. A few people have said a super V 8 is the one to go for and one person pointed me in the direction of a British racing green one which on the face of it looks a great car. I have a lot to think about
    kind regards
    Gareth

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello and thank you for the welcome and reply. You have certainly given me a lot to think about. After reading your reply and replies from others I think I will probably stay away from an import. You can read up on these cars a lot but I believe you get the best advice from Jaguar owners such as yourself. I didn’t realise issues around imports were so complicated with regards to navigation systems etc.
    I appreciated you taking the time to send such a compressive report and the last part about a 575 that would be nice but I don’t think I have that much to throw to the wind��. Maybe some day
    kind regards
    Gareth

15. Likes Jimbov8 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That first import car identified by Ashanti is a good looking vehicle with an all-important sunroof, although it neither has ACC nor the sovereign piped leather option. Interestingly, the power steering reservoir is on the opposite side to my X358 - was that a facelift change ?

Correction: It has got ACC - I've just spotted the button under the fog lights.
    Last edited by Ice Cube; 13-01-19 at 13:52. Reason: Correction
    2008 XJR + sun roof + soft leather + ACC + retrofit: burr walnut interior trim
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    2007 X-Type 3.0 SP Auto + retrofit: walnut dash & gear knob + rear sill protectors + mudflaps + Al powerwash crucifers + memory powerfolds

"Life's too short for touchscreens - give me lots of nice buttons to press"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast