Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Headlights

Post Thanks / Like

Headlights

I have a 2002 2.1 petrol X type sport
    My headlights are very dim at the best of times and I have to constantly drive on main beam, I also notice that under acceleration they seem to dim and my heater blower also slows down, and when I let off the throttle they seem to go back to normal, is this normal or is there any common issues that I should be looking for?
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Time to change the lamps and perhaps clean the lenses. As for the dimming, check the tension on the alternator belt and also the state of charge in the battery.
    Jim.
    2012 XKR Black pack, Speed Pack, Aero pack, Rat pack. Past:-87'XJS 3.6L, 93'XJ40 3.2L gold, 95'XJ6 4.0L sport, 00'XJ8 3.2L sport, 2005 XK8 4.2L coupe, 2009 XK 5.0L Portfolio in that order and enjoyed all of 'em.

I do not offer advice, I only say what I would do with the set of circumstances presented. Your choice always.

3. Likes Mr Squirrel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The standard headamps are quite poor on the X-Type, until you swap for better bulbs, such as Osram Nightbreaker or something similar. The alternator, via the ECM, reduces output under acceleration, thereby reducing load on the engine and maximizing power, which you'll probably only notice at night. Mine used to do it, which I thought was weird until I read somewhere that's how it was designed.

Kie
    '03 X-Type 3.0 Auto AWD, Topaz, Ivory leather, walnut, 70K... wonderful car... Sadly now gone but not forgotten...
    '09 XF 3.0 Diesel S Portfolio, Liquid Silver, all the stuff, 60K... lovely car...

Post Thanks / Like
    Modernize your lighting; interior and exterior. Lighting technology has come a long way the past two decades and especially in the last. I switched out to HID and LED in 2012. While I don't do much might driving, they're much appreciated when I do.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3Q 2012 X-TYPE HID+LED+DRL Night View.jpg   1Q 2017 Running Lowered Front Profile.jpg   HID NOTTO SE Conversion Kit 5000K.jpg   HID Fog Light Xenon-Car-Kits-Canbus-Slim-Ballast.jpg   10W High Power Optical Tube Daylight LED Daytime Running Lights Kit (2).jpg  

HID Light Temperature Information.jpg  
    2002 X-Type 2.5 V6
    Mina Inserts HID+LED+DRL Chrome Mirror Caps/Petrol Flap/Sleeves Clear Markers/Repeaters REMIN/RVINYL Carbon-Fiber Trim Facelift Plinth NGK Red Tail Tips H&R SS Sports Edition F10 17x8 Hankook 225x45ZR17 Ventus V12 Silver Calipers w/Decal Drilled/Slotted Rotors EBC/Red Stuff K&N 2-Tone GL Steering Wheel Cover Sheepskin Inserts Alum/Dead Pedals HR Leaper SP Lights Infotainment: iSimple TranzIt BLU HF Sony XDP-MU110 DSP 8-Speaker+JBL BassPro SL WiFi Dash-Cam Laser Radar Detector

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by XMan2002 View Post
    Modernize your lighting; interior and exterior. Lighting technology has come a long way the past two decades and especially in the last. I switched out to HID and LED in 2012. While I don't do much might driving, they're much appreciated when I do.
    Cant swap to HID in the UK, and LED can be hit or miss, they see anything out the ordinary with the lights they fail it on the MOT.
    I just saw an Audi driver using his indicators correctly on the motorway. Twice. Should I report the vehicle as stolen?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    '56 plate X-Type 2.2D Sovereign Winter Gold -- 131k Miles --
    '06 plate X-Type 2.0D Sport Ultraviolet -120k Miles --

7. Likes rchiv liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RageMonkey1989 View Post
    Cant swap to HID in the UK, and LED can be hit or miss, they see anything out the ordinary with the lights they fail it on the MOT.
    And a good thing too. Aftermarket HIDs and LEDs may be great when you're sat behind them...for the poor buggers coming towards them on unlit roads in the rain they range from annoying to downright ****** dangerous.
    2005 2.0D SE, stage 1 remap, EGR blank, remote fold mod, tailgate auto lift mod.

9. Likes Nezzer, Beamender, orsom weels liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had a problem with my headlamps too. Seems daft but I cleaned the lens with Arm & Hammer Bicarbonate of Soda toothpaste. I was sceptical about it, but at £2.20 a tube I thought it was worth a shot, and the lenses have come up brilliantly, and makes driving at night a little bit easier! Just smear it on, work in with a toothbrush (use your wifes if you don't want to ruin yours), rinse off with warm water and bingo!
    2006 X-Type 2.0 SE Diesel Estate: 122,000 miles and climbing!
    Heart of Gold, Nerves of Steel, Knob of Butter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner69 View Post
    And a good thing too. Aftermarket HIDs and LEDs may be great when you're sat behind them...for the poor buggers coming towards them on unlit roads in the rain they range from annoying to downright ****** dangerous.
    I fitted HID to mine a few years ago and as they were fitted and adjusted correctly there was no problem. I have changed back to halogen Osram nightbreakers to comply with MOT rules but although they are better than the standard bulbs they are not as good as the HID.
    The problem is that many were fitted badly and caused concern but to be honest even those fitted at manufacture can be dangerous if not checked properly.

Roger
    HEY I THOUGHT I HAD RETIRED, Ex Auto Electrician
    2006 X Type 2.2d SE Manual Estate. Zurcon Blue Champagne/Mocca, F/R Parking sensors, ,Auto Lights, Auto Wipers, Headlight Washers, Sat Nav 2012 update, 17 in Wheels, 119K Mods:- Electric Autofold Mirrors on Locking
    Simple Autofold Mirrors on Locking,http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthrea...irrors+locking
    UPDATE YOUR SIGNATURE http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=91945

12. Likes graham-r liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I used one of the headlight repair kits available. (Not the ones that use a 'mop' in a drill - too harsh). I was very impressed with the results, like new! However the lights are still worse than useless, so I have some 'Nightbreakers' to try next, heard good things about them.
    2002, 2.1 Manual Sport, 58,000, BRG... Retrofit: 18' Proteus wheels/Avon ZZ5's, Brembo pads & discs, braided hoses. Parrot Asteroid Smart. Electric rear windows, powerfold mirrors, premium speakers, hardwired Nextbase dash cam.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks fellas ill try the nightbreakers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast