Thread: Starting problem

Post Thanks / Like

Starting problem

Any advice please.
    I currently own a 1995 Xj6, with an intermittent starting problem. Sometimes the car starts, other times the car will fire up for about 2 seconds and then stop and will not start. We have fuel and spark going to the engine. Any help appreciated

Post Thanks / Like
    Unplug the MAF sensor and see if it runs then. If it does, don’t run it for any length of time. You could then try cleaning the sensor with the correct cleaning fluid.

Welcome to the forum.
    Jim.
    2012 XKR Black pack, Speed Pack, Aero pack, Rat pack. Past:-87'XJS 3.6L, 93'XJ40 3.2L gold, 95'XJ6 4.0L sport, 00'XJ8 3.2L sport, 2005 XK8 4.2L coupe, 2009 XK 5.0L Portfolio in that order and enjoyed all of 'em.

I do not offer advice, I only say what I would do with the set of circumstances presented. Your choice always.

3. Likes rchiv liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbov8 View Post
    Unplug the MAF sensor and see if it runs then. If it does, don’t run it for any length of time. You could then try cleaning the sensor with the correct cleaning fluid.

Welcome to the forum.
    Thank you for your advice
    unfortunately, it still isn’t starting correctly

Post Thanks / Like
    Next thing is to prove you have fuel at the rail. Is the fuel pump running, and also check the inertia switch hasn’t tripped. The only other thing I can think of is the crank position sensor.

If the fuel pump is running do you have a constant pressure at the Schrader valve?
    Last edited by Jimbov8; 16-01-19 at 21:54.
    Jim.
    2012 XKR Black pack, Speed Pack, Aero pack, Rat pack. Past:-87'XJS 3.6L, 93'XJ40 3.2L gold, 95'XJ6 4.0L sport, 00'XJ8 3.2L sport, 2005 XK8 4.2L coupe, 2009 XK 5.0L Portfolio in that order and enjoyed all of 'em.

I do not offer advice, I only say what I would do with the set of circumstances presented. Your choice always.