Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nice little "barn" find. 25,550 miler XK 4.2 Convertible

Post Thanks / Like

Nice little "barn" find. 25,550 miler XK 4.2 Convertible

Whist I was bored Monday perusing some Jaguar Facebook pages, a post suddenly appeared entitled For Sale with photos of an XK on an 07 plate tucked away in the corner of a garage alongside a blue V12 E Type.

Long story short, I bought it yesterday. Nice little XK in Liquid Silver (code MEE) with a tan top, Ivory interior and a nice Burr Walnut dash for those over 60!

The plan is that my pal in Jersey is looking for a low mileage XK for his wife, so it is for him/her. Just needs a bit of my TLC an MoT and a service and she will be good to go.
    It had new tyres fitted 5 years ago just before the owner became ill since when it hasn't turned a wheel. They had dropped to 20 psi and have developed flat spots so I am hoping that 40 psi for a while should round them off again. Sadly, the owner passed away in November so his collection has been sold.

The1973 restored E Type Coupe was in lovely condition with 56k on the clock. Sold for £50,000, or so I was told.

Off to do a bit of claying and polishing after giving it a good wash yesterday.

Tootle Pip.
    Currently enjoying:
    2007 XKR Convert. Frost Blue, Ivory leather. 32k
    2006 S Type R. Slate Grey, Dove Grey leather. Full Burr Walnut upgrade, Rear DVD screens. 64k.
    1999 XKR Convert. Meteorite Silver with Ivory leather. 79k.
    Previously enjoyed: 1970 XL6 4.2 1974; 1982 XJS HE V12 5.3 1987 - 1990; 2000 S Type 3.0 manual 2001-2015; 1998 XK8 Convert Mar/Apr 2016. 2009 Red XK convert Nov 2016 to March 2017: 2010 All black XKR May to Oct 2017: 2009 Green XKR convert. 28k miles.Mar to July 2018

2. Likes Jimbov8, Daverichardson, stanboy, Ian D liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Get some pics up when you get a chance, sure such a low mileage example will be great to work with paint wise.
    4 Wheels: 2007 Jaguar XK 4.2 V8
    2 Wheels: 2016 60th Anniversary Yamaha R1 / 2002 Yamaha R6 Trackbike
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those that can read binary, and those that can't.

4. Likes Stagnite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds good

5 year old rubber might be hardened enough to need swapping out. I start getting worried at about this age - I often end up throwing out on age due to low mileage and too many cars on the go. See how they feel if the flats pots come out completely.
    S-Type 3.0 Manual MY2001 in Pacific Blue with Cashmere Leather Sport Seats, Sunroof, Melbourne Alloys, Premium Sound plus some other stuff ... 55k miles.
    XKR 5.0 Speed Pack MY2011 in Polaris White with Ivory/Charcoal Leather, Nevis Alloys and R-Performance Interior plus some other stuff ... 17k miles.
    Hyundai Tucson 1.6T AWD MY2016 in White Sand. Basic, comfortable and surprisingly fast and competent ... 12k miles.
    FIAT Coupe MY1997 in Steel Grey with Tan Leather ... 55k miles.

6. Likes Stagnite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would love to see some pictures.....Just been down to my garage and checked all the corners, but sadly found nothing except cobwebs!
    2006 XK Indigo Blue with Caramel seats and Sable carpets

8. Likes Stagnite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Stagnite View Post
    .... and a nice Burr Walnut dash for those over 60!
    OI! Some of us just developed taste early!

Nice find though, near 1/4 of the mileage of my similarly aged XK
    2007 XK Coupe (Prism Blue / Ivory)
    2002(51) X-type 2.5 SE Manual (Platinum / Warm Charcoal)

10. Likes Stagnite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    OK guys, regarding those photos.

I have given her paintwork a good claying and waxing, and cleaned the interior and the top, so she is looking rather nice. She has CATS suspension - is that an optional extra for an XK? She has loft leather perforated seats which I believe was an extra too. She also has a TM system which I have been getting to grips with. Apparently it was used as a NAV system, which is strange since it has SATNAV, but it can also be used, for a fee of £49pa, as a tracking device. If the car is pinched, the owner could ring up TrafficMaster who would be able to see where the car is.

I have fixed the ASL button (my partner, Alison, calls it Alisons Speed Limiter) and ashtray which were both sticky - coffee spill at a guess and cleaned all the dash and windows. button!

She (not Alison) is now insured and booked into G and Ds for an MoT and oil and filter change (need a stamp in the book) on Monday, after which I can tax her and drive around legally and find a nice setting for some photos. Oh yes, I'll pump the tyres up to 45psi too to try and sort out the flatspots. Nothing tried, nothing gained!

The paintwork is in amazing condition, there is hardly a mark on it and to me, all the paintwork looks original. There are a couple of very small scuffs on the nearside front wheel which I will sort out soon.

Well that kept me out of mischief for a couple of days.

Here is a shot the seller took after the blue E Type was almost pushed out of shot.
    Currently enjoying:
    2007 XKR Convert. Frost Blue, Ivory leather. 32k
    2006 S Type R. Slate Grey, Dove Grey leather. Full Burr Walnut upgrade, Rear DVD screens. 64k.
    1999 XKR Convert. Meteorite Silver with Ivory leather. 79k.
    Previously enjoyed: 1970 XL6 4.2 1974; 1982 XJS HE V12 5.3 1987 - 1990; 2000 S Type 3.0 manual 2001-2015; 1998 XK8 Convert Mar/Apr 2016. 2009 Red XK convert Nov 2016 to March 2017: 2010 All black XKR May to Oct 2017: 2009 Green XKR convert. 28k miles.Mar to July 2018

12. Thanks MarkyM thanked for this post
    Likes MarkyM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That looks good. Tan tops can look a bit sometimes IMHO but it works there. Have you tried it (the roof) yet?

Be careful with the alloys. I have the same design and despite being quite sure I hadn't clipped any kerbs, they're damaged.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Stagnite View Post
    She has CATS suspension - is that an optional extra for an XK? She has loft leather perforated seats which I believe was an extra too. She also has a TM system which I have been getting to grips with. Apparently it was used as a NAV system, which is strange since it has SATNAV, but it can also be used, for a fee of £49pa, as a tracking device. If the car is pinched, the owner could ring up TrafficMaster who would be able to see where the car is.
    Nice work! Looks very tidy, good find.

CATS I gather was technically an option but I've never actually seen a car without it, even the very early ones. Perforated seat faces usually indicate the presence of the optional cooling feature for the seats but I didn't think cars that early had that option - could be wrong. Trafficmaster, I remember that - I had a SEAT that had it fitted, it worked when I bought the car but stopped soon after, presumably when the subscription ran out. That was a good afternoon's work removing large chunks of the dash and interior trim to rip all that stuff out. If the new owner of this is in Jersey then it won't take long to find it if it gets half-inched!
    Current: 2009 XKR 5.0
    Previous: 2008 XKR 4.2

I take photos of cars! Find me on Facebook, Instagram and Flickr.

Post Thanks / Like
    Deleted irrelevant

Post Thanks / Like
    The perforated seats were part of the sports trim package .the early ones were heated only according to the sales brochure
    when I was looking for one I did come across 2/3 cars without the cats suspension however they were more of a base spec
    hth

17. Thanks Stagnite thanked for this post
    Likes Ian D liked this post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast