Page 270 of 292 FirstFirst ... 170220260266267268269270271272273274280 ... LastLast
Results 2,691 to 2,700 of 2916

Thread: The countdown to Brexit thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Peterthejagman View Post
    All remainers will stop at nothing to protect..Their future prospects of a job in the EU.....When their policies all go titsup....

If they are so keen of working in the EU why are there only a million of us who have moved to Europe for work but this figure also includes all of those who moved here to retire in the sun shine.
    Grumpy Old Git
    “When a government is dependent upon bankers for money, they and not the leaders of the government control the situation, since the hand that gives is above the hand that takes. Money has no motherland; financiers are without patriotism and without decency; their sole object is gain.”
    Napoléon Bonaparte

2003 (botox) S type 3.0 sport with manual gearbox, as rare as rocking horse apples

2. Likes Peterthejagman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Willber G View Post
    I can assure that the Y2K issue was taken very seriously by major corporations. I was working in IT in a large government department at the time, and a sizeable team was established to counter the threat, which took about a year. Potential problems were identified and fixed. Friends and colleagues in other organisations (public and private) had similar experiences. The fact that 'nobody noticed' was not down to complacency but a lot of hard work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_S-V6_2004 View Post
    I can explain Y2K chaps, I was closely involved in the prevention actions.

The problem was that even in 1999 many computer programs from the 60s and 70s were still in use by many customers on then-modern mainframes and mid-range computer systems.

And those programs were written in COBOL and a few in Fortran, to run on machines with often less than 4 Megabytes of main memory.

To keep them compact, the date was stored as two digits, 99 instead of 1999.

So, when the year changed to 2000, the two digit year programs would change to 00 instead of 2000.

So, a simple difference calculation, 2000-1999, giving "1", would become 00-99 and the result would be? "-99"!

Under tests, many of those programs corrupted databases.

So this was a very real problem that would be catastrophic to customers' information and businesses, and in many cases would not be recoverable.

Customers also had to find funds and get approvals to employ sysprogs for this work, and many were cutting it very fine.

I had to find capable COBOL programmers and just managed to find two, one of whom came to Kuwait to do the work for us and test onsite, and the other assisted him from home in the UK.

They wrote utilities to scan customer systems to locate COBOL programs and they identified over 15 million lines of code!

That was just us, in Kuwait, and only my 5 customers, the largest being the Ministry of Health, with ICL and Wang computer systems, and included a large retailer too.

IBM systems were fine as local programs were written in assembler and compiled, so their own sysprogs did the testing, or were running supported IBM software which was updated by IBM and we applied the updates with each customer. Well... we stood by while their operators applied them. Teamwork!

Once the vulnerable programs were located, our sysprogs raced to write more utilities to scan them for date year fields, date year variables, and calculation instructions, to check if they were two digit or 4 digit, and expand them and all their dependencies to 4-digit.

That's not easy because as I was informed by our on-site sysprog lad George,, calculations with 4-digit source fields can be told to store only two! So those had to be identified and fixed too.

Plus the customers' databases. And some had no backups that could be restored. That was an additional shock discovery.

So our sysprogs had to create new backup/restore utilities which protected all our customers' data.

It took our lads around 6 months to modify all of these and test and retest and remodify.

And on the night, we were all awake and onsite with our engineers to watch the clock tick past midnight and listen for alarms and look for red flashing lights, and hung systems.

Our customers' management, all of them including our IBM customers, were onsite too.

At 00:01 am we held our breath looking over the shoulders of our operators on each site. I was at the National Bank of Kuwait. At 00:10 I breathed a little more easily and smiled. Nobody had called me, so our ICL customers were probably ok.

At 00:30 nobody had called me. I turned and raised my thumbs and the whole computer room of around 30 people who had gathered shouted "Yeeeeeaaaahhh!" Or words to that effect. I got home at around 10am.

There had been an awful lot of stupid scaremongering like one which claimed lifts (elevators) crashing, dispensing machines and coffee machines spouting, and other rubbish. But that wasn't going to happen.

Lift manufacturers all over the world said that their lifts would still function normally and all models had been tested, but still one report in the USA which went viral said that lifts would go to their bottom floor and stay there. You may have heard or read that one.

There was a lot of follow-up work for a couple more weeks for all of my engineers and our COBOL sysprogs, checking that backups had worked and those were restored at night when machines were idle and could be stopped for that, and remember it was almost all stored on magnetic tape then, not many had disk-to-disk, disk subsystems were very expensive.

So our two COBOL sysprogs were truly heroes, as were IBM's and all manufacturers' and software providers' sysprogs who had checked and updated thousands of program suites for all our and their customers worldwide.

Our boys were both older than me, and George had retired a couple of years before.

Many programmers worldwide had come out of retirement too.

An awful lot of work, many sleepless nights, and lots of stress on the night it became 2000, for thousands of sysprogs all over this planet.

I'm guessing even in the Arctic and Antarctic too.

A great achievement.

Now That's "what we did in the War!"

Brexit is nothing like that.

I hope I've entertained you again, E30?

Throw another log on the fire and pour a brandy, and... Cheers, me dears!

I have to confess I had no idea what I was talking about - just the limited experiences I had at the time; so thanks both for the clarification, and education!
    Regards
    Chris Clark
    2001 XJ Daimler Super V8 (Car for 'best')
    2009 Mercedes CL500 V8 (Daily workhorse)
    2007 Land Rover Range Rover Sport 2.7TDi (The Wife's baby hauler)

Previous cars: '91 Peugeot 405 1.9GRi, '93 BMW 520i, '92 XJ 4.0 Sov, '94 XJ 4.0 Sov, '00 XJ 4.0 Sov, '00 Daimler V8, '03 XJ Super V8, '94 Renault Clio(!), '99 Merc S430L V8, '08 XJ Sov Diesel LWB, '03 Merc S320CDi, '07 XJ Sov Diesel LWB, '04 BMW 730d

www.autosanity.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ducmon View Post
    If they are so keen of working in the EU why are there only a million of us who have moved to Europe for work but this figure also includes all of those who moved here to retire in the sun shine.
    Sorry I was referring to UK....MPs .remainers protecting their future jobs in the EU..Let's face it ?..That's where they end up.!!..When Parliament here finish with them ?

5. Likes C16RKC, ducmon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_S-V6_2004 View Post
    Better stock up on coffee, water, biscuits, flour, sugar and tinned foods.

In case any Remainers run out, we'd hate them to starve!

Oh sh**, apparently we will also be running out of toilet rolls.......hope it's a hard and not a soft exit........
    "I know I'm a pessimist because my glass is always half empty...even when it's full".

2009 X-Type 2.2D Sovereign - Indigo Blue with Ivory Leather

7. Likes ducmon, Jag-Black, C16RKC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Willber G View Post
    I came, I saw, I conquered. - Julius Caesar
    OR
    Been there; seen it; done it.
    The world is my lobster!
    Workhorse: "Ounce" - White Jag X-Type Estate 2.2D 2009 Executive auto.
    Fun: "La Gata Negra" - All black (Haria) Pug RCZ 2.0 HDI 2014 Swiss spec fully loaded.
    Runabout: "Purple People Eater" - Purple Pug 108 1.2 PureTech 2016 Top fully loaded.
    Sack shifter: "Animal" - Dirty Linhai 300 4x4 ATV 2007.

9. Likes Jimbov8, C16RKC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    To me it looks like the European union is now

AURIBUS TENEO LUPUM

Whilst Corby is

barba crescit caput nescit

The EU is now repeating

a brutum fulmen

The motto for the Brexiters

corvus oculum corvi non eruit,

for the remainder

cui bono?

October 31st

Hanniabl ad portas

Boris Johnson's motto

hic manebimus optime!

For lost Brexit Britain

**** SUM HUMANI A ME NIHIL ALIENUM PUTO

As Britain is in a state IMPERIUM IN IMPERIOwith the EU and it end velocius quam asparagi conquantur

Here is the chest sheet.😎

http://mentalfloss.com/article/57898...hould-be-using

11. Likes S-Type Owner, C16RKC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Non assis facis
    "I know I'm a pessimist because my glass is always half empty...even when it's full".

2009 X-Type 2.2D Sovereign - Indigo Blue with Ivory Leather

13. Likes C16RKC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Zero123 View Post
    Oh sh**, apparently we will also be running out of toilet rolls.......hope it's a hard and not a soft exit........
    Don't worry they will get food parcels from Russia.....Corbyns commies mates will look after them !!

15. Likes C16RKC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Zero123 View Post
    Non assis facis
    My personal motto:

flectere si nequeo superos acheronta movebo - Juno [Virgil]

literally - If I cannot flex the gods then I will stir up the waters of hell.
    So said Juno when it was all not going her way, in the Aeneid, as written by Virgil.

figuratively (my interpretation) - I chug along being mister nice guy and get sh** upon; so my response is to share the sh**!
    The world is my lobster!
    Workhorse: "Ounce" - White Jag X-Type Estate 2.2D 2009 Executive auto.
    Fun: "La Gata Negra" - All black (Haria) Pug RCZ 2.0 HDI 2014 Swiss spec fully loaded.
    Runabout: "Purple People Eater" - Purple Pug 108 1.2 PureTech 2016 Top fully loaded.
    Sack shifter: "Animal" - Dirty Linhai 300 4x4 ATV 2007.

17. Likes C16RKC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My advice would be "Don't let things like this get to you, the battle is not yet lost or won by either party".

And that's just keeping things in perspective.

If only you'd all listened to me and 🦁 🦁 🦁 eaten a few 🐒 🐒 🐒 MPs...

19. Likes C16RKC liked this post
Page 270 of 292 FirstFirst ... 170220260266267268269270271272273274280 ... LastLast