Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: S-Type tyre and oil specification?

Post Thanks / Like

S-Type tyre and oil specification?

I am kind of puzzled how Jaugar can complicate things with stuff. - What is the correct tyre and oil specification for S-Type 2.5L? I found at least 4-5 different gradations of oil, and not sure what should I get. 0w-30, 5w-30, 5w-40 or 0w-40?

Regarding tyres it is the same. In service manual they list specific tyres with several different speed indexes. What to get? (I am looking at a car with 2.5L 16 7.5 rims -225/55/16)

Thanks
    Jaguar X-Type 2.0d Executive / year 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    European temperatures make the 5w-30 the best choice and there is a Ford spec that should be something like FORD WSS M2C 925x. 0w-30 would also be fine as it is just slightly thinner when very cold. Any 10w-xx oil is too thick when cold. The handbook should have the exact spec.

You are correct with the tyre size. They originally came with 95W load/speed ratings.
    S-Type 3.0 Manual MY2001 in Pacific Blue with Cashmere Leather Sport Seats, Sunroof, Melbourne Alloys, Premium Sound plus some other stuff ... 55k miles.
    XKR 5.0 Speed Pack MY2011 in Polaris White with Ivory/Charcoal Leather, Nevis Alloys and R-Performance Interior plus some other stuff ... 16k miles.
    Hyundai Tucson 1.6T AWD MY2016 in White Sand. Basic, comfortable and surprisingly fast and competent ... 10k miles.
    FIAT Coupe MY1997 in Steel Grey with Tan Leather ... 55k miles.

Post Thanks / Like
    The oil spec depends on where you are - it's not the same in UAE as UK, for example. This is normal for cars, Jaguar or non-Jaguar.

The tyres are so you have some choice and as with any car also depend on which rims are currently fitted (typically chosen when new but someone may have replaced them).

The handbooks vary by geographical region for these and other reasons, some legal reasons some not.

Jaguar let you download the manual free if you don't have one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks.

Are you sure regarding oil? Isn't it WSS-M2C913-B, C or D?

Post Thanks / Like
    WSS-M2C913-B is the one I see as "preferred" in the Jaguar 2012 Vehicle Specifications book, yes.

API SJ/EC and ACEA A1 or A3.

For UK and the like, 5w30 is fine but don't know where the OP is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmut View Post
    Thanks.

Are you sure regarding oil? Isn't it WSS-M2C913-B, C or D?
    Ah! Could be? The "925s" came later and I'm confusing it form my other car which has been at the forefront of my mind the last few days as it was due for its German MOT.
    S-Type 3.0 Manual MY2001 in Pacific Blue with Cashmere Leather Sport Seats, Sunroof, Melbourne Alloys, Premium Sound plus some other stuff ... 55k miles.
    XKR 5.0 Speed Pack MY2011 in Polaris White with Ivory/Charcoal Leather, Nevis Alloys and R-Performance Interior plus some other stuff ... 16k miles.
    Hyundai Tucson 1.6T AWD MY2016 in White Sand. Basic, comfortable and surprisingly fast and competent ... 10k miles.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am in Croatia, we (now) get moderate winters and very hot summers. It is not unusual to get 40-45C on the sun.

I am currently using 5w30, but remember that 0w30 was very nice too on prior car.

Post Thanks / Like
    You will likely have a range (let me guess 0w30, 5w30, 10w30, 10w40) of which any will be fine. These engines are not fragile but they want enough oil and it changing often enough.

The handbook for your region will say but don't panic over this. By way of example, say you found the level low but could not add the exact oil already in - then add almost anything.

I would NOT say the same for the more recent 5.0 variant but it's not in the S-Type.

Post Thanks / Like
    What has always confused me a little is that the WSS-M2C913-B seems to be an ACEA A5/B5 spec which is low HTHS viscosity but Jaguar seem to sometimes state ACEA A1 or A3, normal HTHS viscosity.

Mine is the older version before they tried to reduce the stated fuel consumption figures and was apparently not so fussy about oil specs or at least it was not documented as such. It has mainly lived on GM Dexos 2, very high-spec oil that seems to cover a lot of bases and exceeds the Jaguar specification in my handbook from 2000 but is a normal HTHS viscosity oil. After 18 years, it still runs well, so I don't expect it can be far off what was required.

I would expect that if you use a ACEA A1 or A3 oil, there will be a small fuel consumption penalty.

Post Thanks / Like
    It has mainly lived on GM Dexos 2, very high-spec oil that seems to cover a lot of bases and exceeds the Jaguar specification
    I have seen many a BMW run on this oil too as you say it does seem to cover a lot of bases
    S TYPE R 2003
    BMW M3 EVOLUTION 1998
    You can not beat me in a argument
    I am too stupid to know when I am beaten

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast