Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Shed (Workshop Shed)

Post Thanks / Like

Shed (Workshop Shed)

Long story that I am happy to elaborate on if anyone is bored enough, but I am needing to replace a Yardmaster shed, only a few years old, that has so many leaks it must have Welsh heritage. I have tried to seal this damned thing since the day and hour it was put up, to no avail, and as things have now gotten so bad that the floor inside is rotten, it just has to go.

I have looked and looked, and to be blunt it seems that there is no such thing as the perfect shed, and it seems that people are either absolutely delighted with their chosen shed, or they are ranking their shed supplier/maker alongside mass murderers and paedophiles.

After a lot of looking about, I am quite liking this fellow in a 12 x 10 format, but the reviews on the company are more mixed than muesli. Has anyone bought a shed from these folks? Opinions please?
    ex - 2002 X-Type 2.5 V6; 1995 XJ Sport 3.2; 1998 Mercedes C180 Elegance; VW Passat 2.0TDI (140); Audi A4 Avant 2.0TDI; Nissan Qashqai 1.5dCi; Current - 2007 XJ 4.2 V8 Sovereign, and occasionally an Electric Wheelchair!

It wasn't me! A big boy done it and ran away.

Post Thanks / Like
    A year or so ago I bought an 8 x 6 plastic Keter shed - easy to assemble, no leaks and no maintenance.
    "I know I'm a pessimist because my glass is always half empty...even when it's full".

2009 X-Type 2.2D Sovereign - Indigo Blue with Ivory Leather

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Zero123 View Post
    A year or so ago I bought an 8 x 6 plastic Keter shed - easy to assemble, no leaks and no maintenance.
    May or may not be going down that route myself. My existing 15 year old wooden tongue n groove shed has given up the ghost and ready for the bin

We'll see....

Jim
    My_XJ_X351_ownership_thread

My_XJ_X358_ownership_thread

MY2016 ( 65 ) XJ X351 3.0d Portfolio LWB, Black, London Tan leather interior, 20" Orona alloys, picnic tables and rear multimedia
    MY2009 ( 58 ) X type 2.2d Sport Premium, Heated seats, Front & Rear park assist, Sat Nav, 18" Proteus alloys, tinted rear windows, Heko wind deflectors

Post Thanks / Like
    We had originally started looking at plastic sheds, and had even taken a bit of a shine to one that we saw in Costco - however, the more we looked into them the more concerns that arose, the first being reports of leaks, others saying they sweat because they don't breathe like wooden sheds do, and others saying they are particularly noisy in a wind. That, and they are quite expensive size for size, for us they would need a separate base (our shed sits on a patio that is not completely level), and the fact that we have a bit of an odd space to play with.

The current shed is 10 x 8 (ish), but there is around 2ft of space to play with in either direction - but the shed has to be wider than it is long (not common on plastic sheds that I have seen); when we put the current shed up around three years ago, I spent considerable time and money building a suitable base for it - 4 x 2 frame and bearers, DPC used between frame and top surface, and thick OSB top that is the floor. The shed was assembled to the letter of the instructions over the course of two days, and it has leaked like a sieve ever since - it was an absolute faff to assemble, and the doors are just a joke; we have tried various things to seal it, to no avail, and the leaking has now resulted in the floor being so rotten my foot went through it a few weeks ago - - even more of an issue now I am disabled. I am not entirely against a plastic shed, but after my experience with the metal one, I am reluctant.
    ex - 2002 X-Type 2.5 V6; 1995 XJ Sport 3.2; 1998 Mercedes C180 Elegance; VW Passat 2.0TDI (140); Audi A4 Avant 2.0TDI; Nissan Qashqai 1.5dCi; Current - 2007 XJ 4.2 V8 Sovereign, and occasionally an Electric Wheelchair!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd be building my own, starting with four 6x6 posts for the corners, concreted into the ground and progressing from there.

Second thing would be a suspended floor within and the last thing would be a rubber roof like what I did on my garage roof.

In fact, I might just av it this summer.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Silentum Sicarius

2006MY Super V8 LWB
    Midnight Black with Ivory & Black Suedecloth Headlining
    All options except Sunroof. Lambswool Overmats are MIA
    Longlife Exhaust & a Caldoofy - Waft 'N' Loud
    Nextbase Duo Dashcam

My Showroom Thread

2008MY LR Discovery 3 HSE V6 2.7TD
    Buckingham Blue with Alpacca
    Nextbase Duo Dashcam

You're a long time dead, Enjoy life whilst you have it!

6. Likes C16RKC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Aye, I would ordinarily build my own, but not concreted in (I rent) - but, being disabled I will be heavily reliant on help to dismantle the old one and then erect a new one, so any thoughts of self-build are out; besides, I started to roughly price up suitable wood etc and found that the price was very close to one that comes as pre-fabricated panels, and to be fair I wouldn't be able to make one that was as aesthetically pleasing (I might just be able to make a water tight box with a door on it).

Good luck with yours though Rich

Post Thanks / Like
    I was going to buy a ready built shed too funnily enough.

But a flimsy 6x8 foot plastic one is over €300 and would not last more than 10 years in the sun and temps here.

For about the same I can buy enough shiplap and materials to build an 8x12.

If you can manage to construct the walls yourself and get help to raise it and put the roof on, you would get a much better shed for the same money or less?

Post Thanks / Like
    Just a suggestion but here's what I did a few year ago.

Put down a thin concrete base.

Bought a wooden shed / workshop of a good size - it was a display model so was an attractive price, then the usual "can you lose the VAT for cash pleas?"

Bought some surplus box profile steel sheets from a local industrial building company (£5 to 7 / meter covered)and fixed them to the timber roof (With a layer of rock wool between the wood and the steel)- that roof will now outlast us all.

Stapled rock wool to the walls for insulation then clad the walls and underside of the roof with white faced hardboard (£10 for an 8x4) Reflects lots of light.

Final touch is a little pot bellied wood stove (£200 inc flue)to make it pleasant in winter.

Less than £500 over the basic shed cost, plus a couple of days work made a warm weatherproof workshop out of a rather basic shed.

Friends choice - he wanted something more secure.............If you have crane access buy a shipping container - line it out and put a couple of cheapo double glazed windows in it......Plant some fast growing creepers around it to disguise it.......You could easily take it with you - complete with contents, if you moved home.

Post Thanks / Like
    This the way to go if you want a water tight shed. with no hassle of building it. A neighbour has two in his garden.

https://m.wikihow.com/Buy-a-Used-Shipping-Container
    Grumpy Old Git
    “When a government is dependent upon bankers for money, they and not the leaders of the government control the situation, since the hand that gives is above the hand that takes. Money has no motherland; financiers are without patriotism and without decency; their sole object is gain.”
    Napoléon Bonaparte

2003 (botox) S type 3.0 sport with manual gearbox, as rare as rocking horse apples

Post Thanks / Like
    I looked at timber sheds some years ago but the prices did not impress me at all. The already assembled demonstration models at B&Q had all been fork lifted onto a racking system so there was no way I could get up there and examine them for quality and for that reason I didn't buy one.

Then in the same B&Q I saw some concrete blocks and at 10 blocks to the square metre I did some rapid mental calculations and found I could construct a very substantial shed for much less than the price of a timber kit. A bit more thinking at home and I went round to our local Builders Merchant and purchased most of the materials even cheaper than at B&Q. A day to dig out and lay a concrete base then next weekend I did the block-work utilising a substantial second hand door and window. Rough sawn timber is surprisingly cheap from timber merchants so another weekend was filled with fun cutting a timber roof. That only left the roof covering which was sorted with the help of some second hand slates form a local roofing contractor. What cracking fun I had and to round things off a couple of months later I tried my hand at rendering the outside with some waterproof cement.

The shed is still as good as the day I built it. No leaks and I expect it will be there long after I've gone.
    Harry
    2003 X Type 2.0D SE. Jaguar racing green. Champagne/Mocha interior. Getting old but still a serious contender that turns heads with that distinctive Jaguar styling.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast