Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battery removal question

Post Thanks / Like

Battery removal question

Is there anything to be aware of removing the battery?

It is possible that Im not going to need my car for a while and think it would be best to remove the battery and connect it to a conditioner for the period. Rather than have a conditioner connected while still in the car.

Is it possible to lock the car after battery removal?
    Does the car need to be reprogrammed or need anything specific when reconnecting the battery?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    2012 XJL Portfolio 3.0D - Premium Rear Comfort Pack, Driver's Pack, Illumination Pack.

Post Thanks / Like
    My thread on errors - battery disconnection implicated in a whole laundry list of subsequent fault codes. Proceed with caution.
    2011 X351 Supersport, black with black and more black

Previous cars: 2008 Honda Accord CDTi EX Tourer, 2002 Saab 9-5 Aero HOT, 1997 Audi S8, 1999 Subaru Legacy GTB twin turbo, 1992 Subaru Legacy turbo, 1992 Subaru Legacy GL, 1960 Austin Mini, 1976 Jensen GT, 1993 VW Corrado VR6,

Post Thanks / Like
    I am not big on tech stuff but a friend of mine who had previous problems once warned me not to disconnect the battery on my car [XF] as it could cause all sorts of trouble.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very clear threads suggesting never disconnect battery. Even when installing a new one the battery shop provided continuous power to system.there are multiple computers and other modules that seem to stop talking to one another with power loss.use a battery conditioner . If you are talking over 6 months I would ask the dealer if there a way to hibernate the systems to avoid problems.i assume you have also considered how to avoid tyres flat spotting.
    White XJL portfolio 3 litre s/c ecu to S MY2015

Post Thanks / Like
    No car manufacturer is brave enough to make changing batteries hard. I would have no concerns changing my battery, without a power supply across it.

No car likes being left unused for weeks on end. If you're not going to be using it for several months, either sell it, or let family/friend use it. It goes way more than tyre flat spots mentioned above.
    2010 XJ Portfolio running on lorry fuel. I know, Jag Diesel is just wrong!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the advice. Looks like I'll connect it to a ctek and get the Mrs to take it on the motorway every couple of weeks.
    2012 XJL Portfolio 3.0D - Premium Rear Comfort Pack, Driver's Pack, Illumination Pack.

Post Thanks / Like
    My battery on my 5.0 supersport will need a new battery very soon. Does anyone know the procedure for swapping the batteries without upsetting the computers?
    Jaguar XJ Supersport. Polaris white.

• Dont dream it. Drive it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cris View Post
    Thanks for all the advice. Looks like I'll connect it to a ctek and get the Mrs to take it on the motorway every couple of weeks.
    I leave my S-Type and my XKR in the garage for months over winter plugged into conditioners. The S-Type is nearly 19 and I have had the XKR 4 years now. They work fine when restarted.

If you have to change a battery, just disconnect and remove, reconnect the fully-charged new one and reset anything that requires it, windows, park brake or whatever - will be in the handbook.
    S-Type 3.0 Manual MY2001 in Pacific Blue with Cashmere Leather Sport Seats, Sunroof, Melbourne Alloys, Premium Sound plus some other stuff ... 55k miles.
    XKR 5.0 Speed Pack MY2011 in Polaris White with Ivory/Charcoal Leather, Nevis Alloys and R-Performance Interior plus some other stuff ... 17k miles.
    Hyundai Tucson 1.6T AWD MY2016 in White Sand. Basic, comfortable and surprisingly fast and competent ... 12k miles.
    FIAT Coupe MY1997 in Steel Grey with Tan Leather ... 55k miles.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used to disconnect my battery to charge it without any problems----I don't bother these days. Glyn

Post Thanks / Like
    When mine was changed on the v8 thesupplier used a bridging unit maintaining power at all times.He said it avoided problems with computers on modern cars.Its not worth the risk when any reasonable battery supplier has the gear.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast