Thread: They Shall Not Grow Old

Post Thanks / Like

They Shall Not Grow Old

Just watched this and as a ex serviceman myself, what a humbling experience it really is. The horrific scenes these soldiers were apart of truly mark them out as real “heroes”, yet none would think of themselves as such. It’s a great shame there isn’t men of that calibre in this country now.

This film should be shown in schools.
    Jim.
    2012 XKR Black pack, Speed Pack, Aero pack, Rat pack. Past:-87'XJS 3.6L, 93'XJ40 3.2L gold, 95'XJ6 4.0L sport, 00'XJ8 3.2L sport, 2005 XK8 4.2L coupe, 2009 XK 5.0L Portfolio in that order and enjoyed all of 'em.

I do not offer advice, I only say what I would do with the set of circumstances presented. Your choice always.

2. Thanks payno, JimC64, C16RKC thanked for this post
    Likes payno, JimC64, C16RKC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbov8 View Post
    Just watched this and as a ex serviceman myself, what a humbling experience it really is. The horrific scenes these soldiers were apart of truly mark them out as real “heroes”, yet none would think of themselves as such. It’s a great shame there isn’t men of that calibre in this country now.

I was never in any of the Armed services but have always considered myself lucky to have the freedom I have because of the people who have been willing to defend our Country and our freedoms. It pisses me off to the point of boiling point when I hear or read disrespectful clap trap.
    My Dad and his brothers all signed up in 1939 his oldest brother his name sake was killed in 1916 4 years before he was born.
    Why we cannot educate people to understand we have what we have in terms of freedom because other people have been willing to die for it really annoys the hell out of me. Rant over.

4. Thanks Jimbov8 thanked for this post
    Likes Jimbov8 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I also served in the UK forces and those chaps have my utmost respect.
    Train hard, fight easy.

Black on Ivory 5.0 Stratstone 'Le Mans' special edition XFR.

6. Thanks Jimbov8 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My great great Grandfather served on the western front. He was a very humble man who never said a word about it. We only found out after his funeral when we found his medals.

The film should be shown in every school throughout Europe.
    Grumpy Old Git
    “When a government is dependent upon bankers for money, they and not the leaders of the government control the situation, since the hand that gives is above the hand that takes. Money has no motherland; financiers are without patriotism and without decency; their sole object is gain.”
    Napoléon Bonaparte

2003 (botox) S type 3.0 sport with manual gearbox, as rare as rocking horse apples

8. Likes C16RKC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbov8 View Post

Totally agree Jim 100% and yes, should be shown in schools

Quote Originally Posted by johnandhisjags View Post
    I was never in any of the Armed services but have always considered myself lucky to have the freedom I have because of the people who have been willing to defend our Country and our freedoms. It pisses me off to the point of boiling point when I hear or read disrespectful clap trap.
    My Dad and his brothers all signed up in 1939 his oldest brother his name sake was killed in 1916 4 years before he was born.
    Why we cannot educate people to understand we have what we have in terms of freedom because other people have been willing to die for it really annoys the hell out of me. Rant over.
    What John said, never in the forces myself although nearly joined up, but have great respect for anyone who was or is on the forces doing their bit, my blood boils when I hear any nonsense or derogatory comments or disrespect in any way shape or form
    I too have family who served in the wars as I'm sure most have and am proud of their service

Jim
    https://postimg.cc/gallery/3i38gydiy/
    MY2016 ( 65 ) XJ X351 3.0d Portfolio LWB, Black, London Tan leather interior, 20" Orona alloys, picnic tables and rear multimedia
    MY2009 ( 58 ) X type 2.2d Sport Premium, Heated seats, Front & Rear park assist, Sat Nav, 18" Proteus alloys, tinted rear windows, Heko wind deflectors

10. Thanks Jimbov8 thanked for this post
    Likes Jimbov8, C16RKC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My paternal grandfather was in the Navy in WW1 and served on the battleship Dreadnought. He was lucky, because it was built in 1906 and by 1916, was too slow to keep up with the rest of the Grand Fleet. A fellow Ulsterman, who was with him at Portsmouth when they were posted to their ships, was posted to the Queen Mary, a battlecruiser, (these were often called "eggshells armed with sledgehammers). At the Battle of Jutland the Queen Mary was hit by several heavy shells, and blew up with the loss of all bar about 4 of her crew. My other grandfather was in a reserved occupation as an engine designer at Scotts Shipbulding & Engineering on the Clyde at Greenock. Scotts did a lot of work on warships, especially submarines, and were pioneers on them. My father served in the RAF in WW2 as a radio mechanic, ending up at Achmer aerodrome in Germany when the war ended. I have his campaign medals in the bureau. Not a hero, but he "did his bit" as so many did. I always say that the real heros are those who are not "gung-ho" and who don't want to go to war, but do their duty diligently and without complaint
    Fleet manager (!!) of: -
    XE Portfolio 180 AWD 2017
    VW New Beetle 2009
    MG Midget 1500 1977
    MG TF 135 2010

12. Thanks Jimbov8 thanked for this post