Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: engine feels like its "holding back"

Post Thanks / Like

engine feels like its "holding back"

not only have i woken up to a fractured ns coil spring my lovely 10 previous owner x type 2.0d has developed a judder in all gears thats coming throught the whole car, if you accelerate the shaking goes, it almost feels like its missing but the revs and solid and theres no eml, its not coming through any pedal its literally the whole vehicle shaking when i lift my foot off and the car almost immediately starts to feel like its holding back if that makes sense, thats the best way i can describe it. all suggestions welcome.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like a typical EGR problem. Mine did that at around 1600-2000 rpm. Blanking my EGR cured it, but I did eventually replace the EGR just before I sold the car.
    (EX) '06 2.0D SE Estate

3. Thanks rob78 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Always good to put a strong injector cleaner in the tank at times like this, can help to melt the EGR dirt too if you're lucky.

Dirty injectors makes the car an annoying pain to drive.
    2006 Black Jaguar X400 | 6 Speed Manual Transaxle - MMT6 | Series 60 | 2.2L Duratorq 16V TC (150PS) - Puma | 4 Door Saloon

5. Thanks rob78 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    its just ran a full tank through with stannadyne and the egr is blanked. unfortunately it died three times on the way home tonight managed to nurse it home but im not holding out for a hopeful prognosis when it goes to garage friday, still no codes and the egr was removed and cleaned when i bought the car some 500 miles ago.

quick update : replaced EGR with new one, replaced downpipe from EGR to intercooler + clamps, replaced top gasket between EGR and manifold, cleaned MAP sensor, refitted EGR blanking plate, result ..... still running like a bag of spanners being hurled down the stairs and juddering in all gears when i let off accelerator in every gear.

and to ad insult to injury, snapped the MAF plug off but luckily had a spare sensor.

today was not a good day!
    Last edited by rob78; 05-02-19 at 19:48.

Post Thanks / Like
    Disappointing after all the effort, I feel your pain. Perhaps the accelerator pedal is sending spikes or jumping around.

Probably can test it with a multi meter.
    2006 Black Jaguar X400 | 6 Speed Manual Transaxle - MMT6 | Series 60 | 2.2L Duratorq 16V TC (150PS) - Puma | 4 Door Saloon

8. Thanks rob78 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like a drive shaft is causing the violent shaking, worth checking. I had to change both of mine when I had the same problem.

Good luck.
    2017 XE Portfolio 180PS AWD in Santorini Black with climate pack (I don't scrape!) panoramic roof, privacy glass and 19" style 1015 wheels (that I'd happily swap for a nice set of 18" 5 spokes. Anyone?)

10. Thanks rob78 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just a thought. It might be worth investigating the operation of the solenoid operated vacuum valve? This valve controls the vacuum to the egr (only on 2.0l models) If for example the breather pipe for this valve has been left disconnected from under the air box for a considerable time I can imagine that due to crud blocking the vacuum lines, the solenoid would become sluggish and in turn cause the egr operation to be poor perhaps resulting in the symptoms you are having?

12. Thanks rob78 thanked for this post
    Likes bugsb liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for suggestions gentlemen, any help is appreciated.

ahh so thats the 1/4" ish diameter rubber pipe that goes onto the lug under the airbox? I take it that if I just follow that it will lead to the vacuum?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rob78 View Post
    thanks for suggestions gentlemen, any help is appreciated.

ahh so thats the 1/4" ish diameter rubber pipe that goes onto the lug under the airbox? I take it that if I just follow that it will lead to the vacuum?
    when i followed mine it goes straight down to some sort of junction box from that box it goes to the egr now i think there was another pipe from that box going to god knows where
    2005 x type 2.0D estate sport in black

15. Thanks rob78 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    just annoyed the other half by having another tinker for 30 minutes, the vacuum pipes are all clear, had a run out with torque connected and im getting around 12hg vacuum and around 9 on boost, so we definately have a vacuum.

****** AND FINALLY WE HAVE A SOLUTION ******

copy egr valve, replaced with genuine jag part and the juddering has gone.

moral of the story ? dont be a cheapskate!

the garage replaced the ns coil spring and knackered strut bearing, replaced thermostat and sorted boost leak all for the princely sum of £90.
    Last edited by rob78; 09-02-19 at 15:04.

17. Likes Willber G, Jag-Black, bugsb, RF900R liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast