Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tow bar

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Tow bar

I’ve been looking into getting back to the Jaguar brigade and after having evaluated the XJ line from the mid-nineties up to the current model I got really excited about the X351.
    I couldn’t believe the prices for a decent car and ploughed up to around page 50 of these forums, stunned that by far there were just positive things about the car.
    Then suddenly the sun went away, it got cold and it started raining. I found this thread where someone was in the same situation I am, needing to tow a small caravan every now and then.

Can anyone add to the conversation from 2013 linked above, if there have since been fully legal 'kits'.

I read somewhere that the X351 shared the same floor pan as it’s predecessor (X350/8 ) and there seem to be tow bars available for it, how come you can't fit one to the current XJ.

Absolutely gutted on this side as I might be starting a new job where there's a 100 mile round trip and one of my requirements are to drive something nice (to keep my sanity).
    Brynjar
    Alfa Romeo GTV V6 'Busso'
    Daimler Double Six ('91)
    Previous cars: XJ12 Sovereign ('89) | XJ8 3.2 Sport ('98 ) | XJ12 (Chevy V8 bastard) ('80)

Post Thanks / Like
    i believe the X351 is not homologated for a tow bar, so it's not legal to fit one to it.
    2011 X351 Supersport, black with black and more black

Previous cars: 2008 Honda Accord CDTi EX Tourer, 2002 Saab 9-5 Aero HOT, 1997 Audi S8, 1999 Subaru Legacy GTB twin turbo, 1992 Subaru Legacy turbo, 1992 Subaru Legacy GL, 1960 Austin Mini, 1976 Jensen GT, 1993 VW Corrado VR6,

Post Thanks / Like
    Simple solution.Buy an XJR for everyday and a diesel for towing( we have a Jeep Wrangler) and any mud wallowing you may hanker after. Why compromise on either?
    White XJL portfolio 3 litre s/c ecu to S MY2015

Post Thanks / Like
    Or buy an X351 for everyday and an X350/358 for towing.
    2011 X351 Supersport, black with black and more black

Previous cars: 2008 Honda Accord CDTi EX Tourer, 2002 Saab 9-5 Aero HOT, 1997 Audi S8, 1999 Subaru Legacy GTB twin turbo, 1992 Subaru Legacy turbo, 1992 Subaru Legacy GL, 1960 Austin Mini, 1976 Jensen GT, 1993 VW Corrado VR6,

Post Thanks / Like
    We've got limited space outside of our house and even though getting rid of the Fiat there'll still be two cars lol.
    I guess the design meeting at Jaguar went something like this:
    Engineer 1: Hey, should we allow for a tow bar to be fitted?
    Ian Callum: Nah, anyone who's buying a £80k plus car will just get a Range Rover for any towing.

Which unfortunately what I'll be looking into next...
    Brynjar
    Alfa Romeo GTV V6 'Busso'
    Daimler Double Six ('91)
    Previous cars: XJ12 Sovereign ('89) | XJ8 3.2 Sport ('98 ) | XJ12 (Chevy V8 bastard) ('80)

Post Thanks / Like
    Won't the F-Pace cut it?
    Chris. T.
    2000 XK8 4.0 Coupe
    2010 XJ SWB 3.0D Portfolio. With TVs. Lots of TVs.

Post Thanks / Like
    The X260 is homologated for towing.
    I have an estate on order.
    I can't get on with the 'tall-boy' estates like the F-Pace.
    Nothing wrong with the current fashion for the tall-boys, I just don't feel comfortable sitting that high up and it's a chore clambering in and out of them.
    X260 Portfolio 250PS Estate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rtcosic View Post
    ... it's a chore clambering in and out of them.
    When you get to my age its much more of a chore getting down into the X100 - and then climbing out - but I am prepared to work through hardship to get into my dream car!
    Chris. T.
    2000 XK8 4.0 Coupe

Post Thanks / Like
    I have no problem getting in and out of the X150: It is indeed low, but you just develope a technique which makes it quite easy.
    2006 XK Indigo Blue with Caramel seats and Sable carpets

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Daverichardson View Post
    I have no problem getting in and out of the X150: It is indeed low, but you just develope a technique which makes it quite easy.
    Granted. Not as easy as it would have been thirty years ago, and quite tricky when the clever chap parks 4 mm from the drivers door in ASDA car park, but at least in the X150 you can get in through the hatch back if all else fails!
    Chris. T.
    2000 XK8 4.0 Coupe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast