Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: 1982 XJ-S Repair and recommissioning.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, I have been plodding on with this project in between the downpours! I will post pictures of the progress at the weekend.
    Does anyone have a decent picture of the NSF sill top behind the wing please? Mine has rotted into oblivion along with the overflow tank bracket. I am rebuilding this whole area at the moment so a picture of an unmolested one will be very helpful. Curerently I'm a little uncertain of how it should look.

Many thanks Dan.

2. Likes Super350 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for posting again.
    I was wondering how you're getting on.
    Hope you keep going.
    Good luck & best wishes
    Simon
    Genuinely sorry I can't help with your request...
    2003 Super V8 SWB

Post Thanks / Like
    i would avoid working from pictures if you can , they can be miss-leading

a better option in my opinion would be to take the other wing off and replicate what you have there in reverse, as they are symmetrical in every way , be aware they are not ' flat' but angled to the body ,

the catchment tank is simply a bent metal cradle to hold the tank sat on the lower sill section which was riveted into place

BB

ps, i did have to replicate the same section from mine, i made a card template and replicated in metal after trial fitting , i will see if i have a picture of my efforts somewhere
    currently driving
    1994 3.2S XJ40 in Morocco red and Doeskin/Ruby red interior since 2016
    1989 V12 XJS White with Mulberry interior since 2004
    2004 2.1 X-Type Platinum with Champagne Leather interior since 2012

previously ,
    1999 V8 Sovereign in Seafrost with Oatmeal and Antelope interior 2009-2013

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. Is there a step in the top plate or is it smooth?

Dan.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, I have made some good progress over the previous months, finally I have actually got round to uploading some photos!
    If you remember, there was some seriously ugly rot in the NSF inner sill/A pillar area The tone was well ant truly set right from the start when I removed the headlamp.....the glass wasn't attached and very nearly fell out onto the floor when the bezel was removed. Removing the remaining part of the lamp revealed the state of things to come..

The forward end of the sill had taken a whack too...of course, it was rotten.

The overflow pipe was all that was stopping the expansion tank from falling into the sill. The oxidised remnants of its bracket had already fallen through.

With the wing off the true amount of work needed was revealed, the centre valance panel was just sitting inside the under shield and dropped right out when it was removed...The radiator cross member will need some surgery too.

I didn't mess about and just cut out all the rotten metal. I was very surprised when I cut out the inner sill and saw just how good the jacking point was.

This area took me quite a while to rebuild but the end result was pretty pleasing.

I will post some more in a mo.

Dan.

7. Thanks Super350, Facelift thanked for this post
    Likes Super350, Facelift liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pt 2.....

Here is the inner wing above the forward subframe mounting.....

Attacking it with a wire wheel revealed the true extent of the rot......its a quality car this....

The whole area was cut out and repaired...
    Removing the bottom of the headlamp bucket revealed yet more rot...

It took quite a lot of work to rebuild..

The rotten upper wing rail was completely removed, I was fortunate enough to obtain a genuine new old stock replacement locally.

As can be seen, the upper ****** mounting had to be repaired too..

Trial fitting the wing confirmed good alignment. I have replaced the bonnet as it was rotten and had that awful mascot fitted.

The finished area looks just a bit better......

I was somewhat apprehensive when removing the OS wing.......fortunately, the metal has somehow faired much better.

It does need some repairs but the top rail will go again and the headlamp bucket is perfect. The top of the sill initially looked good but was actually full of holes.

And after ...

The closing plate was also frilly...

The whole area was cut out as the inner sill was soft too..

All in all, this side is much better... That said, I will be putting a new floor pan in soon.

Before starting on the OSF corner I had to turn the car around, The front calipers were removed as they were seized solid but alas, the car would not move in both directions. It would roll forward but not backwards. When attempting to roll backwards there is only slight springy movement as the engine and box move on their mountings. it rolls freely forwards. It is like this in all gears including neutral. obviously it is locked completely in park. To move it I had to unbolt the propshaft from the differential. I'm wondering if a brake band is sticking inside the box....

Dan.

9. Thanks Super350, Jimbov8, ArtyH, Facelift thanked for this post
    Likes Super350, Jimbov8, ArtyH, Facelift liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    A fascinating story, in which I am really interested.
    I'm finding this very educational.
    Thanks for updating.
    Best wishes
    Simon.
    2003 Super V8 SWB

11. Likes Jimbov8, Facelift liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent updates Dan. A testament to your dedication and hard work will realise a finished article that will be enjoyed for years to come.

Keep up the good work.
    Jim.
    2012 XKR Black pack, Speed Pack, Aero pack, Rat pack. Past:-87'XJS 3.6L, 93'XJ40 3.2L gold, 95'XJ6 4.0L sport, 00'XJ8 3.2L sport, 2005 XK8 4.2L coupe, 2009 XK 5.0L Portfolio in that order and enjoyed all of 'em.

I do not offer advice, I only say what I would do with the set of circumstances presented. Your choice always.

13. Likes Super350 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    XJS's were never my thing but I applaud you for taking this on.

Not much wrong with your welding skills either by the way!

Good luck Dan.

Richard.
    2017 XE Portfolio 180PS AWD in Santorini Black with climate pack (I don't scrape!) panoramic roof, privacy glass and 19" style 1015 wheels (that I'd happily swap for a nice set of 18" 5 spokes. Anyone?)

Post Thanks / Like
    Yup, some great work there Dan, and excellent pictures. All of which are places I've had to check very carefully for rot on mine. When removing the wings though I was amazed to see that somehow I have managed to escape corrosion on those inner wing sill tops. Same with the upper wing rails.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456