Thread: Daily Driver?

Post Thanks / Like

Daily Driver?

Hello Everyone,
    I would like your help / expert advice on owning a Jag.
    I am looking to get the Jaguar F-Type V6S AWD as my daily driver. I live in Switzerland where there is quite a lot of snow in the winter. Fortunately, I don't live in the mountains
    Do you guys think this is doable or not? Have anyone of you had this car as a daily driver?
    How about costs for the car; Insurance, Services, etc...
    Thank you very much for your help!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have an F-Type V6S (RWD) and it is my daily driver, but I can't help you with personal advice on snowy conditions as I have never seen snow on the road in my life!
    But lots of info on driving the F-Type in cold and snowy conditions over on the US forum here: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/
    From what I can gather from that forum the F-Type V6S AWD is perfectly OK to drive in cold and snowy conditions providing you fit proper winter tyres and use ice/snow mode.
    2014 F-Type S coupe, Lunar Grey, red seats and nearly all the options.
    The dearly departed - 2010 XFS and 2010 XFR.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,
    Thank you very much for your answer and help! Gonna check out that forum.
    Do you think it is an expensive car to daily drive (gas, insurance, service, etc...)? did you have any problems with the car yet?
    Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by elia_galli View Post
    Hello,
    Thank you very much for your answer and help! Gonna check out that forum.
    Do you think it is an expensive car to daily drive (gas, insurance, service, etc...)? did you have any problems with the car yet?
    Thank you!
    Not at all expensive to drive daily for me, mainly because it is now out of warranty and I do all service and maintenance work myself.
    I also save a bundle on oils, fluids, parts etc compared to what a dealership would charge.
    However if you can't DIY or choose not to be aware that your local JLR dealership will charge plenty for simple service and maintenance things, better to take it to a trusty and Jag experienced independent mechanic (if you can find one where you are!). By my rough calculation I have saved around $2,000 so far by doing these things myself.
    Fuel economy is significantly better than my previous car, a 2010 XFR which averaged around 13 litres/100 km, the F-Type over much the same period and distance is averaging 9 litres/100 km. Insurance is about the same for me, a bit more than an "ordinary" car but not much more as I haven't had an accident in 38 years now.
    Only two problems with the car (now over four years old and nearing 50,000 km) - the supercharger torsion isolator was rattly and was replaced under warranty, and a small coolant pipe at the top/front of the engine developed a hairline crack and needed replacing. It is the most reliable and problem free car I have ever owned.
    All up, if you ignore the purchase cost, it is the cheapest car to run I have had in the last 12 years, even after factoring in that I change the engine oil and filter every six months, twice as often as recommended.
    2014 F-Type S coupe, Lunar Grey, red seats and nearly all the options.
    The dearly departed - 2010 XFS and 2010 XFR.