Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brown trouser moment with my new XF

Post Thanks / Like

Brown trouser moment with my new XF

Crikey, a scary moment! Just collected a good used 2012 XF 2.2 sport diesel from an AA approved dealer in Hinckley. Immediately filled up with BP ultimate diesel and set off home to Nottingham at a sedate pace, 55-60 on M69, all was well. On M1 went through the long 50 mph restricted area on cruise control and then lifted it to 65 mph but had to pass some trucks just before Trowel services, put the foot down a bit (not floored) and suddenly, Restricted Performance Red light on, felt like engine cut out. It kept going but only just, surrounded by 32 ton HGV's all blasting horns, I was getting quite worried. Just managed to cut across 3 lanes into the services, phew!
    RAC chap plugged the laptop in and found fault codes: P0087 Fuel rail/system pressure too low.
    P2263 turbo supercharge boost performance
    P250A engine oil level sensor circuit.
    D00C unknown.
    So, RAC guy figured it was fuel pressure fault, cleared code, lifted back seat and checked pump connections on the in-tank pump (looked all good) and ran it up, fault cleared. But he was concerned and advised I take it to be rechecked, ably assisted by my wife, who was giving me serious looks for having bought a dodgy motor that might get us killed on the motorway.
    The car was dropped off at a repairer for a look over Monday.
    The RAC man reckoned a known issue about pump connections but I find no trace on here.
    Could any of you here with a wealth of experience offer any advice?
    I don't know how long this motor has sat around in dealers, but I drove it a few days before and it was well warmed up and performance was fine, went like a rocket. Fuel level was low but not fume sniffing level on picking it up.
    I fear for the health of my wallet here as the AA 3 month warranty may not be worth the paper.
    Any thoughts?
    Peter

Post Thanks / Like
    Given the fuel level had run low it could be a problem with the fuel filter, I have heard of that triggering the RP. Also, as you have just bought it from a dealer, I would approach them first to resolve, they are responsible under Consumer Rights Act 2015 for any problems in first 6 months.
    3.0D 2012 (62) XF-S Premium Luxury IRR
    Previous: 3.0D 2009 (59) XF Luxury, 2002 (52) S Type 3.0 S

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Rob. The garage I left it with have had a similar conclusion and the AA warranty guys have accepted the costs in full, being as it never made it home. With a bit of luck, collecting it tomorrow and do a bit of testing.
    Next issue is the "low washer fluid" warning which was on. Needs a proper looking over.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Petelang View Post
    ... Next issue is the "low washer fluid" warning which was on. Needs a proper looking over.

On mine (admittedly an XJ, not an XF) this is the only warning that I have successfully managed to resolve by myself!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thread moved to X250 XF section.
    Current Car:
    2017 XE R-Sport 25t 250Ps 18MY.

Previous Cars:
    2000 S-Type 3.0L SE Auto
    2004 X-Type 3.0L AWD SE Auto estate.
    2007 XK x150 4.2L Coupe

Resident Super Moderator.
    V6 X-Type Oil Sump Replacement Guide

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Petelang View Post
    Thanks Rob. The garage I left it with have had a similar conclusion and the AA warranty guys have accepted the costs in full, being as it never made it home. With a bit of luck, collecting it tomorrow and do a bit of testing.
    Next issue is the "low washer fluid" warning which was on. Needs a proper looking over.

If there is fluid in it and this warning light is still on, I would check the C5 terminal on the CJB for water ingress, could be the start of a bigger problem. Have a read here http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=95802
    Last edited by Poundy; 12-02-19 at 13:33.
    MY15 X250, XF R-Sport 3.0D Black Pack, Ceramic coated, 19" alloys

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Poundy View Post
    If there is fluid in it and this warning light is still on, I would check the C5 terminal on the CJB for water ingress, could be the start of a bigger problem. Have a read here http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=95802

Aha. I hadn't realised that may be an issue. When I got the warning, I just put some washer fluid into the tank and the error went away.

8. Likes Poundy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Mac. Thank you for responding. I've read about this CJB, but where exactly is it? 7i have just got the car home today for the first time. The washer level wng was on and I put some fluid in. Plan to get my regular garage to have the wing guards off for a look see shortly. Apparently, diesel filter was quite mucky so may have been cause.
    Also today, reverse camera packed in and there's a problem with the left rear door lock. Looks like I've got the full catalogue of known XF woes in this one!
    Peter

Post Thanks / Like
    The CJB is in the right side drivers footwell under the cover, the problem connector is the top left one C5. If you can pull the connector and check inside the bottom of the socket for moisture/corrosion. Really needs the trim off to see properly but it is doable without with a bit of finess and a mobile phone pic of the inside
    MY15 X250, XF R-Sport 3.0D Black Pack, Ceramic coated, 19" alloys

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll be on the case tomorrow. Thanks for the advice guys. Much appreciated.
    Peter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast