Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: faulty acceleration with no fault codes

Post Thanks / Like

faulty acceleration with no fault codes

Morning everybody can you help? Jaguar s type 3.0 v6 auto year aug 2000. notes on last MOT was steering column worn.
    last November on the way to work car was faltering on initial acceleration. as soon as cruising a 20+mph and above seemed OK. left it at home a couple of days and has been sound since. last week from start it was not accelerating and finally cut out. called out trusty RAC who didn't have a clue because it started and showed no fault code but would not rev smoothly. RAC rep suggested I try to drive it home with him following. very tricky getting acceleration but again when travelling at 20 plus OK. just on take off. strange but as we traveled further it got slightly better
    still no fault codes.
    only common denominators
    1.for the last year when filling petrol pump keeps cutting out can take upto twenty mins to get tank filled.
    2. both days it has been playing up pouring with rain.

Thanks
    Rums

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi rums,

You might want to put/move this to the S Type forums here

2017 XE Portfolio 180PS AWD in Santorini Black with climate pack (I don't scrape!) panoramic roof, privacy glass and 19" style 1015 wheels (that I'd happily swap for a nice set of 18" 5 spokes. Anyone?)

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum!

Thread moved to S-Type section.
    Current Car:
    2017 XE R-Sport 25t 250Ps 18MY.

Previous Cars:
    2000 S-Type 3.0L SE Auto
    2004 X-Type 3.0L AWD SE Auto estate.
    2007 XK x150 4.2L Coupe

Resident Super Moderator.
    V6 X-Type Oil Sump Replacement Guide

Post Thanks / Like
    The reason your fuel tank isn't filling normally is because they are now filtered systems and your EVAP system or its charcoal filter is blocked.

See this:
    https://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=113405

Replace your fuel filter too if it's not been replaced in the last couple of years, mine was full of mucky brown stuff.

Last edited by Jim_S-V6_2004; 11-02-19 at 18:53.

5. Thanks rums thanked for this post
    Likes S-Type Owner liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks I've been looking at this forum for sometime and the threads are very helpful. don't know if i will be much help to others at the moment, as my learning curve is somewhat slower than most, but really enjoying getting to know my tools again. After not having the time to maintain my own vehicles for years, its interesting to say the least, without doubt the mind is willing, not sure how the body will hold up. I will check the evap system this weekend I do have a workshop manual but if their is a link to id easier would appreciate a nudge, are their possibilities this could cause the faltering as well?

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you have a bias scanner such as an elm327 so that you can look at the fuel trims.
    Grumpy Old Git
    “When a government is dependent upon bankers for money, they and not the leaders of the government control the situation, since the hand that gives is above the hand that takes. Money has no motherland; financiers are without patriotism and without decency; their sole object is gain.”
    Napoléon Bonaparte

2003 (botox) S type 3.0 sport with manual gearbox, as rare as rocking horse apples

8. Thanks rums thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    hello again ducmon you've helped me before. yes i do, great idea. will have a go and let you know results. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    did scans on elm 327 and my ad410 got no error codes to start and then mass air flow p0102
    I haven't worked out how to do fuel trims yet but I've found an earlier thread that instructs hoe to get a reading. will look at it tonight and get 1 tomorrow.
    Looking to decipher the code now but if anyone can help?

oh and it started fine and run ok but when it warmed up started faltering and cut out, restarted but continually cuts out now.
    Last edited by rums; 12-02-19 at 18:02. Reason: not entering right fault codes

Post Thanks / Like
    Of you follow this link

http://jagrepair.com/images/AutoRepa...os/PE20001.PDF

It will tell you this.

Restricted air filter
    MAF Sensor to PCM sensing circuit: high resistance, open circuit or intermittent short circuit to ground
    MAF Sensor supply circuit open circuit or short circuit to ground
    MAF Sensor failure

If you need the early workshop manual

Go here

https://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=112645
    Grumpy Old Git
    “When a government is dependent upon bankers for money, they and not the leaders of the government control the situation, since the hand that gives is above the hand that takes. Money has no motherland; financiers are without patriotism and without decency; their sole object is gain.”
    Napoléon Bonaparte

2003 (botox) S type 3.0 sport with manual gearbox, as rare as rocking horse apples

12. Thanks rums thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks ducmon, i don't think it is a just as a simple as a faulty MAF sensor, I will start their but i'm fully expecting a really great adventure, this old girl is bringing back to life an old passion.. I'm going to study fuel trims today and get some readings. i will get to this at the weekend. In the meantime, my autodoc app keeps asking me to update to pro which includes fuel trims i guess their will be a cost to this what one do you use?
    I also have the ancel ad410 which will give me fuel triims but the screen is so small I might not be able to read clearly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast