Thread: Battery Drain

Post Thanks / Like

Battery Drain

I have a '99 XKR. I can only leave it a couple of days between starts. Any longer results in a flat battery. The battery was 2 years old and I took it to my local Indie in Milton Keynes. They recommended a new battery as they couldn't find any significant drain. They told me it was only 8mA above normal. So new battery fitted, but same thing.

I'm not sure what to do. I only use the car roughly once a fortnight and I have to charge it everytime. So annoying Do others have the same issue or is my Indie just a bit rubbish at tracing the fault

Post Thanks / Like
    It sounds like something is draining the battery. These things can be hard to trace!

However, if you only use it once a fortnight I would put it on a CTEK battery conditioner whenever you are not going to use it for more than a couple of days. I use mine once or twice a week, and keep it on the CTEK most of the time.

My daughter lives in New Zealand and we sometimes go there for 6 weeks or so. I leave it on the CTEK and the battery is always fully charged when I get back.

If you also leave it at an airport or similar for long periods, keep one of those power packs in the car so you know you will be able to start it even though the battery may be flat. I keep one in the car, though I have never used it!
    2006 XK Indigo Blue with Caramel seats and Sable carpets

3. Likes Mark8jagman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Agree totally with what Dave has said above. I only use mine occasionally and its always ready to go despite the battery being over 7 years old. I keep it on a battery conditioner and also have a small solar panel on the parcel shelf at the back
    Black 2003 XJR WITH black/cranberry interior and X358 front bumpers and grill
    170000miles
    Sherwood green 1998 XK8 Convertible
    1967 Humber Super Snipe

5. Thanks Daverichardson thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the replies guys. Isn't it a pain to connect each time when you park the car? I need to open the boot, take the floor out and then connect the conditioner to the battery terminals, then run an extension lead to plug it in

If this is normal then maybe an XKR isn't for me. None of my other cars have this issue

Post Thanks / Like
    You get “comfort leads” with the conditioner, which on my XK are permanently connected to the battery and give me a connector point in the boot.
    I just connect the CTEK to the connector, plug in to the extension lead, switch on, and leave it until I next use the car. This takes maybe 20 seconds (though I have never timed it!).
    I can close the tailgate with the CTEK mains cable in the bottom corner without any damage to the cable or the boot seal: I have been doing it for over 4 years now.
    You just have to remember to disconnect it before driving off!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cbowditch View Post
    .....If this is normal then maybe an XKR isn't for me. None of my other cars have this issue
    It certainly isn’t normal to drain in a couple of days. The source of the problem isn’t always easy to trace, but if it were mine I would want to find it!
    What I am saying is that even if the problem is sorted, given that the car is only used once a fortnight, I would suggest that you consider using a battery conditioner.
    These cars don’t take kindly to low voltage, and power is being used even when they are parked.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree that a battery conditioner is the best and easiest way to go, although realistically if the battery is good, the car should be able to withstand two weeks without use and then start just fine. Bear in mind though that the car then has to be driven long enough to fully recharge the battery if you want it to last another 2 weeks without use.

The first thing to do is to see for yourself what current is flowing from the battery with the car switched off and locked - if its higher than it should be you can go round pulling individual fuses out to try and track down the drain. Its slow painstaking work, which is why the battery conditioner is probably a simpler and easier solution.

10. Likes Daverichardson liked this post