Thread: Which Tow bar - 2015 Sportbrake 3.0S Portfolio

Post Thanks / Like

Which Tow bar - 2015 Sportbrake 3.0S Portfolio

Bought the car last Autumn, need to get a towbar fitted, any recommendations on make/type?

Would prefer a no cut fit, but happy to hear from any experiences.

Will be towing a 1495kg single axle caravan.

Probably going to cost a bomb, but we knew that
    Regards

Mark F

Driving a 2014 XF Sportbrake 3.0 Diesel S 25k miles black and a 2016 Mazda MX5 2.0 sportnav, when the wife lets me and I feel like slumming it.

In the warmer months the Ducati Monster 1200R gets to stretch it's legs.

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought a Witter detachable towbar,fitted it myself,the instructions are quite easy to follow,also bought the electrical kit,
    Which was also easy to fit,just plug and play.Did not have to have the car programmed all worked fine,I did have to make a
    Cut in bumper to accommodate the electrical socket which swings up out of sight when not in use.This was on the salon not sportbrake by the way.hope this is of some help
    2009 xf 3.0d luxury

Post Thanks / Like
    As above. The witter is the least visible when not in use. Fitted mine 4 years ago together with a wiring kit from pf Jones. No issues. You need the extra caravan wiring if you want fridge and battery charging. My caravan is 1760kg and the Jag is a fab tow car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you both, I will look at the witter, I think with the rear I will have to have a cut as its quite a lot of plastic underneath. Good to know its a good tow, coming from a Kia Sorento which was a breeze to tow, maybe not on the power front but on the weight front with a kerb side of 2100KG.
    Regards

Mark F

Driving a 2014 XF Sportbrake 3.0 Diesel S 25k miles black and a 2016 Mazda MX5 2.0 sportnav, when the wife lets me and I feel like slumming it.

In the warmer months the Ducati Monster 1200R gets to stretch it's legs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to bring an old towing thread up, but have got to get a tow bar on mine. Everybody is quoting me around the £550 mark for a detachable bar and universal wiring. Expensive I know, but one fitter can do it for £500 BUT can do the dedicated electrics for 65 quid more! Now the dilemma is, is it worth spending the extra money for a 11 yr old car. Obvs no warranty plus Ive got to save up for a cambelt change so its a nice saving!!
    Thanks in advance.
    Jaguar XF 2.7 D Auto Luxury. 2058. Mileage aprox 130,000.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes get te dedicated wiring. Worth the extra money just for the fact it disables the reversing sensors when towing. Nothing worse than them beeping like mad while trying to reverse a trailer

Post Thanks / Like
    When I had mine fitted the local company recommended Tow Trust, on the basis that Witter had been thru management restructuring and their customer service had plummeted. The removable section is slotted in vertically, (unlike the Witter which is horizontal I think). Mine is entirely invisible when not in use.
    2010 (10) XF 3.0D S Prem Lux in Spectrum / Ivory + Parking kit, DAB Radio, Xenon lamps, Voice.

Work is time spent paying for sailing !

Post Thanks / Like
    Fitting a tow bar to the X-Type is fairly simple. I acquired a Witter detachable swan-neck type from a guy in Cardiff for £25, low price because it came without swan-neck and electrics. Electrics were no problem I have boxes full of the bits and brackets dating back to yesteryear (nothings changed). I found a detachable swan neck a lady was selling on eBay for £7 and then sent a courier to pick it up at £7, it was for a ford Mondeo, slightly out of the ball positioning envelope as shown in the Car Handbook but not enough to adversely affect chassis loads, it looks a bit odd, but unless in use, it is always removed.
    To start, the boot inner side linings need detaching at the rear and pulling away from the sides. No need to detach any further forward than halfway. There are two bolts either side which bolt the rear bumper up to the body. Then remove the rear bumper. Fitting the tow bar can be done with wheels in situ but I opted to remove mine. Then fit the two bar components LH and RH as shown in the witter on-line diagrams. BUT NOTE, do not install the side plates without the spacers in place, fitting without the spacers can one day cost you an arm and a leg should you get a shunt on the tow bar or back end. A tow bar shunt bypasses the inner energy absorbing bumper and transfers all the load into the chassis. As you can see, mine had superficial rust on them, emery clothed that off and covered them in thick engine oil before inserting. Fit the centre bracket and then mark out the bumper to make a cut out, again see the Witter on line diagram, the cut out cannot be seen only when lying under the car, its about 2 inch by 2 by 2. The electrics I trailed round to the right hand side from the centre towing socket (plenty of places to tie-wrap in place, on the right hand side of the wing beneath the bumpier there is a pre made opening that allows the cable to be routed into the bout without the need of any body or bumper mods, but a bit of patience bending the cable to route under the bumper moulding without standing it off when bolting in place. Connection of wires start at the location the cable enters the boot and all but the LH indicator are done at or around the rear light cluster. I have linked a few pics that may give some idea. Oh, I am 80, if I can do it, you can do it..

https://photos.app.goo.gl/nWkzQ18HEYXbyscF9
    Jaguar X Type Sovereign 2007, 2.2D. Factory modified with Sport Premium lowered hardened suspension plus Proteus wheels and increased BHP. Colour Grey (LMR). Now 94640 miles

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Mark - Not sure if the towbar for the Sportbrake is the same as the saloon, if so I have just removed a virtually brand new (Sept 201 Brink 4787 Detachable Swan Neck complete with electrics and fixings from my 2013 XF 3.0. Didn't fit my new 2018 XF so up for sale. Looking for £150 + shipping. Let me know if it's of interest to you.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brink.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	88.2 KB 
ID:	30029