Thread: Thinking of buying an XF or an XJ, what issues are there?

Post Thanks / Like

Thinking of buying an XF or an XJ, what issues are there?

Hello,

I am considering purchasing a used XF or XJ either would be a 3.0 diesel from 2013 onwards.

I currently drive a Merc E-class and have clocked up over 300k of miles in it, and it still doesn't have a single squeak or rattle, but i am bored with it now, and i find the later E-class quite dull (the entire range is now dull) and does not feel like the same level luxury inside as what merc used to produce. My commute to work consists of 10 miles of poor quality country lanes with the standard UK potholes, and then 50 miles of dual carriageway.

I have read a number of reviews, but i have questions about some of the things in have read.

firstly the XJ (i love the interior, so cool):

• I have read the sunroof squeaks and rattles on cold days, is the true?
    • I have read the sunroof rails go rusty, is the true?
    • I have read the air suspension in rear needs replacing after 7 years, is this true?
    • There many electrical gremlins?
    • Does the leather stretch out of shape with age?
    • Can i fit a large golf bag and power trolley in the boot?

and the XF (maybe a bit more practical):

• I have read there are a number of electrical gremlins, is this true?
    • I have read the DPF is troublesome (my merc doesn't have one), is this true?

I am not sure about the difference in build quality between a Merc and a Jag, maybe not as much as people suggest as there does seem to be a lot of XF around.

(In the UK we used to drive on the left of the road, now we drive on what is left of the road).

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello, and welcome to the forum.

The XJ roof only squeaks on some cars, so I would suggest that you buy one where it doesn’t. Checking for rust on the rails helps identify the squeaky ones.

No idea about golf, but my X351 boot is bigger than my X100 boot, which I am told can carry two golf bags.

The XJ rear seats don’t fold, but some (most? All?) XFs do.

You can can put a tow bar or roof rack on an XF, but not an X351.

If if you want to make an objective selection, don’t test drive an X351 or objectivity will go out of the window and you won’t sleep until you have one.
    Chris. T.
    2000 XK8 4.0 Coupe
    2010 XJ SWB 3.0D Portfolio. With TVs. Lots of TVs.

3. Likes JimC64 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_doctor View Post
    Hello, and welcome to the forum.

The XJ roof only squeaks on some cars, so I would suggest that you buy one where it doesn’t. Checking for rust on the rails helps identify the squeaky ones.

No idea about golf, but my X351 boot is bigger than my X100 boot, which I am told can carry two golf bags.

The XJ rear seats don’t fold, but some (most? All?) XFs do.

You can can put a tow bar or roof rack on an XF, but not an X351.

If if you want to make an objective selection, don’t test drive an X351 or objectivity will go out of the window and you won’t sleep until you have one.
    What Chris said basically, especially the part about test driving an X351

DON'T or you will buy one!

Jim
    My_XJ_X351_ownership_thread

My_XJ_X358_ownership_thread

MY2016 ( 65 ) XJ X351 3.0d Portfolio LWB, Black, London Tan leather interior, 20" Orona alloys, picnic tables and rear multimedia
    MY2009 ( 58 ) X type 2.2d Sport Premium, Heated seats, Front & Rear park assist, Sat Nav, 18" Proteus alloys, tinted rear windows, Heko wind deflectors

Post Thanks / Like
    My XF boot will take a full size staff bag, with a Clicgear Cart buggy and a Clicgear Rovic buggy, no problem. Although its not so much a problem here down under, I avoid sunroofs, as the cars I have owned with one in the past have suffered from leaks due the the drain tubes getting clogged with debris, resulting in the rails rusting.