Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Nooby

Post Thanks / Like

Nooby

Hi,

I'm new here, i be testing driving a Facelift 2.0D 130 X-Type tomorrow, i'm totally clueless on these cars, are there any common faults i should look out for regarding this model and engine.

Thanks any input appreciated

Post Thanks / Like
    while ticking over turn on the a/c if the crank pulley and belt tensioner are ok you will hear no clattering drive over bumpy roads to test the rear suspension just to check bush,s are fine 2 keys always a must with older cars , not so much so on later models but check the sills , have a good look at service record if it has one if you get told the owner lost it most of the time it has none its an old trick
    you dont say what model year ect it is as there are different models some basic some top of the range
    2005 x type 2.0D estate sport in black

3. Thanks raimon thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bugsb View Post
    while ticking over turn on the a/c if the crank pulley and belt tensioner are ok you will hear no clattering drive over bumpy roads to test the rear suspension just to check bush,s are fine 2 keys always a must with older cars , not so much so on later models but check the sills , have a good look at service record if it has one if you get told the owner lost it most of the time it has none its an old trick
    you dont say what model year ect it is as there are different models some basic some top of the range
    Thanks i shall definitely be testing the AC and listen to the clatter you mentioned. The current owner mention it does have 2 keys when i asked initially. It is a 2008 SE Model. It looks stunning on pics, shall wait and see tomorrow if it looks as good as the photos lol.
    Cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by raimon View Post
    Thanks i shall definitely be testing the AC and listen to the clatter you mentioned. The current owner mention it does have 2 keys when i asked initially. It is a 2008 SE Model. It looks stunning on pics, shall wait and see tomorrow if it looks as good as the photos lol.
    Cheers
    Any update? How was the car?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dafe01 View Post
    Any update? How was the car?
    It was the 1st Jaguar X-Type i seen so i had no others to compare it to so no idea what is normal and what is not.

The advert was advertised as Private seller but it was a guy selling on his front drive, he took it in from someones PX, so what are my rights if something goes wrong with the car

Last time i brought a cheap car it only last 6 months as the clutch went so suddenly, which still had 6 months MOT remaining. So i kind wary of this next one.

A few area of concern here
    The Exterior
    Ding on rear passenger door (Expected being a 2008 )
    Passenger side wing mirror indicator cracked/parts broke
    Both front sidelights not working
    Both Front and Rear brake pads need changing
    The saloon boot does not pop open wide on its own, have to lift it up is this normal, i thought all saloon boot lift up on its own

The Interior
    Headlight height popout adjuster missing.
    Steering wheel airbag cover top bit does not sit flush to steering column, is kind off lifted up, not sure how this has been caused.
    Leather seats drivers side more cracked than the photos on advert but this is not major issue.
    There was an electrical whine/humming noise when it was in ignition mode, and still can be heard slightly when engine is running

Engine
    Sound OK, no noisy DMF.
    On turning on the AC, I notice the diesel clatter has changed tone, more clatter shall we say.
    There was tiny bit of carbon build up around the 3rd injector, others were clean.

Suspension
    There is a noise when the guy was moving it outside his front yard, can't tell if its rear suspension noise or exhaust

Underbody
    Nothing major the sills were but towards the front sill and back they were a bit bent in or out, not sure if this was caused by tyre fitters jacking up the car.

The last service was August 2017. So it is year and half overdue.
    Last edited by raimon; 17-02-19 at 16:42.

Post Thanks / Like
    Too many issues for me. There are plenty more out there.
    55 X-Type 3.0 Sovereign estate, automatic, midnight blue, barley leather

Previous cars going back through time:
    X-Type 2.2d SE estate, Alfa Romeo GT, Porsche 928, Lexus GS300, Mercedes E320, Mercedes E280, Rover 600, Vauxhall Senator, Opel Ascona, Fiat 127, Dutton Phaeton, Hillman Avenger

8. Thanks raimon thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Willber G View Post
    Too many issues for me. There are plenty more out there.
    I agree seems like a long list of issues. Perhaps this can be reflected in the price?

Post Thanks / Like
    just by the general wear and condition of the body i would walk away the list above does not sound like a looked after car more a drive untill it fails
    2005 x type 2.0D estate sport in black

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the input guys. That's also my impression, it hasn't been looked after towards the end of its life with last owner who owned it since August 2014, think it was lady owner.
    Think i will walk on this one. I didn't even feel like test driving it.
    Shame, if everything was intact in would be a good buy. Very high spec.
    The hunt goes on

Post Thanks / Like
    Back on autotrader and ebay. Its very hard to come by an SE with satnav, not so manky leather seats, cruise control, and seat lumbar support.

Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast