Thread: Mark 2 gearbox issue

Post Thanks / Like

Mark 2 gearbox issue

Hello I’ve got a ‘64 mark 2 3.4 manual and I’ve lost the use of reverse gear. Forward gears work ok. It’s been suggested that it could be the stabiliser bar ball joint. Can someone confirm this and also tell me where it is so that I can check? Thank you

Harry.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry’s jag View Post
    Hello I’ve got a ‘64 mark 2 3.4 manual and I’ve lost the use of reverse gear. Forward gears work ok. It’s been suggested that it could be the stabiliser bar ball joint. Can someone confirm this and also tell me where it is so that I can check? Thank you

Harry.
    Sounds like a linkage problem ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. Is that on the top of the gearbox and can I get to it from inside the car?

Harry

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry’s jag View Post
    Thanks. Is that on the top of the gearbox and can I get to it from inside the car?

Harry
    Check the gear Lever linkage 1st ?....Hard to explain but it maybe a forked type ?.It may have come out or maybe worn ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Harry,

it's a long time since I've worked on that area but from the parts book there is quite a large cover that goes over the gearbox so it looks accessible from inside the car once the centre console is removed.

There are two seperate parts to the selctor system, the gearlever which bolts to the top cover so I would remove that first, underneath that are three longitudinal rods with selector forks at both ends I suspect one of those forks has come loose, However it should be fairly obvious once the main cover is removed?

Alec
    2004 2.5 X Type Estate, MK 2 3.8 (Long term restoration), 2.5 P.I. Triumph saloon, 564 Hymer motorhome.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Alec, sadly the car is at my mum’s house 75 miles away. I will have a look next weekend when I’m there again. Harry.

Post Thanks / Like
    Free catalogue for classic cars parts !

https://www.holden.co.uk/holden_vint...ing_catalogues

Post Thanks / Like
    This car show has a display of mark 2 jaguars celebrating 60 years of the mark 2
    Got to be worth a look ?
    https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/the-g...ts-53249480630