Thread: Endeavour's black Jag

Post Thanks / Like

Endeavour's black Jag

Looks like the black Jaguar Mk2 used in the TV series Endeavour may have made its last appearance in Sunday's episode. Morse and Thursday find the Jag at the police car depot under a tarpaulin with its wheels off looking in a sorry state. The mechanic tells them it has had its day is being used for scrap and spares.

I suppose that by the end of the 60's Jaguar had stopped making the Mk2 so the Police would have stopped using them. Shame though because the Jagaur MK 2 has always been such a big part of the Morse/Endeavour series.
    Jaguar XF Luxury 3.0 V6 petrol, in Claret Red with barley leather, Venus alloys

previously Jaguar X Type 2.1 V6. Gone but not forgotton

Post Thanks / Like
    Pretty sure the black one is a MK1 from 1956.
    Jim.
    2012 XKR Black pack, Speed Pack, Aero pack, Rat pack. Past:-87'XJS 3.6L, 93'XJ40 3.2L gold, 95'XJ6 4.0L sport, 00'XJ8 3.2L sport, 2005 XK8 4.2L coupe, 2009 XK 5.0L Portfolio in that order and enjoyed all of 'em.

I do not offer advice, I only say what I would do with the set of circumstances presented. Your choice always.

3. Likes Poundy, S-Type Owner liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jim is correct the Black is a MK1 the burgundy a MK2

As a lad I had a 1959 MK1 3.4 in Cornwall grey CHA 23 reg, the plate alone would be worth a bomb now. I loved the kick down flick switch on the dash
    64 Plate RSport 3.0D All Black, Ceramic coated, self healing front car wrap, 19" alloys

5. Thanks Jimbov8, J.J.X.T thanked for this post
    Likes Jimbov8 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Mk1, as it became known later, had a narrower track at the rear and full "spats"; the narrow rear track impacted handling. It also had thick roof pillars and thick painted window frames on the doors. The MK2 which followed addressed all of those shortcomings with a design which became a true classic.
    2003 S-Type 3.0, Zircon with the "Premium Package"...

Post Thanks / Like
    Thought the black one was a Mk 1. although they were only produced till 1959 and Endeavour is set in the mid sixities so I would have thought the police would be using mk2's by that time - perhaps a continuity issue there!

The burgundy MK 2 of the Morse series made an apperance in the pilot of the Endeavour series when it was one of the cars for sale on a dodgy car dealers lot. The car itself sold for 100k and has been extensively restored since the TV series.

Post Thanks / Like
    The "Morse" MK2 does make personal appearances:

http://www.morsejaguar.co.uk/
    2003 S-Type 3.0, Zircon with the "Premium Package"...

9. Thanks J.J.X.T thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting read. Good to see the car is still shown and in use rather than stuck away in some private collection.

I read that when Colin Dexter wrote the Morse books he had Morse driving a Lancia of all things! but when the TV series was made the producers changed his car to a MK2 Jaguar - good decision IMO and it also inspired the spin off Endeavour series to use a Jaguar albeit a mk1.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by J.J.X.T View Post
    ... when Colin Dexter wrote the Morse books he had Morse driving a Lancia of all things! but when the TV series was made the producers changed his car to a MK2 Jaguar ...
    ... and then Colin Dexter followed the TV series, and has Morse driving a Jag in the later books

PS: is it only me, or does anyone else suspect that Morse may end up buying the wreck from under the tarpaulin in the police compound as his personal car?
    Last edited by mac_doctor; 21-02-19 at 09:48.
    Chris. T.
    2000 XK8 4.0 Coupe
    2010 XJ SWB 3.0D Portfolio. With TVs. Lots of TVs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_doctor View Post
    PS: is it only me, or does anyone else suspect that Morse may end up buying the wreck from under the tarpaulin in the police compound as his personal car?
    Told you so.
    Chris. T.
    2000 XK8 4.0 Coupe
    2010 XJ SWB 3.0D Portfolio. With TVs. Lots of TVs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_doctor View Post
    Told you so.
    Yes looks like the black MK1 will live on the in TV series - not sure if this is now Morse's own car or still police issue - probably find out in future episodes. Frankly I found this part of the story a bit unlikely as the last we saw of the Mk 1 it was a wreck and suddenly it is looking cleaner and gleaming than it ever has before - but got to give the producers some licence to keep the link between Morse and Jags.