Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 96 XK8 Not Starting

Post Thanks / Like
    Could you get to the screw using a length of stiff wire (coat hanger) with a piece of Blu Tack, wadge of of double sided tape or something even stickier on the end?
    2003 4.2 XK8

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Cooper View Post
    Could you get to the screw using a length of stiff wire (coat hanger) with a piece of Blu Tack, wadge of of double sided tape or something even stickier on the end?
    Or chop sticks.
    Jim.
    2012 XKR Black pack, Speed Pack, Aero pack, Rat pack. Past:-87'XJS 3.6L, 93'XJ40 3.2L gold, 95'XJ6 4.0L sport, 00'XJ8 3.2L sport, 2005 XK8 4.2L coupe, 2009 XK 5.0L Portfolio in that order and enjoyed all of 'em.

I do not offer advice, I only say what I would do with the set of circumstances presented. Your choice always.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frankc View Post
    ................. get something like a knitting needle. Wrap some sticky duck tape or similar around the end with some of the sticky stuff outside. Push it into the plug hole so it pushes it self onto the screw ........ gently pull out??
    Hmmm sound familiar....................... Great minds etc.
    2003 Zircon Blue XKR Convertible.
    It's in the detail.
    [SIZE=4]

For a list of most topics written in this 'Story' Please click here.

Cannot see any photos? PHOTOBUCKET FIX please CLICK HERE FOR SOLUTION

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frankc View Post
    Hmmm sound familiar....................... Great minds etc.
    I missed that, you beat me to it.
    2003 4.2 XK8

5. Thanks frankc thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The screw is out! Neat little tool for £3 with a light and magnet on, and out it came.
    All the plugs back in, connectors on.
    Still WONT start.
    Still not firing at all. Turning, but not firing. The AA man said there was power in the coil. I know the fuel is getting through as you can see it on the plugs. Any ideas on how I can check if the plugs are sparking? Can I take one out, leave it on the cable then turn the car over? Getting close to calling out a mechanic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes thats what we used to do. Leave a plug out connected up and make sure the base of it is touching the engine block for an earth. Best done at night so you can see if there is a spark.

You could also hold the base of the plug in your hand and ask someone to turn over the engine. If you find yourself across the road with your hair stood on end then its probably working.

Have you removed the pipe over the carb inlet (or whatever they call it these days) and spray some easy start in there? If its a fuel problem that will make it start, may run only for a second or two but at least you will know.

I wish I lived closer. Id be round there and between us we would get it started.

Now I only know what you too have read about bore wash. From what I can gather the piston rings are not sealing because the oil has been washed off the sides by the fuel. If you read those posts I gave a link to you will see that someone suggested putting oil in the plug holes? Have another read.
    It's in the detail.
    [SIZE=4]

Post Thanks / Like
    A reminder

"Hi sorry to hear about your problem. Putting oil down the bore is not good for the CAT but neither is the excess of unburnt fuel that started it off Your engine should be dry but will still spin uselessly as you have washed all the oil off the bore linings. Turning the engine with the fuel off allows the oil pump to re-wet the bores and should be done immediately prior to re-starting. Putting oil in at the top will help speed up the process. You should put only a small amount into each cylinder.
    Have you checked that when you floor the throttle that you get full throttle on the throttle body ? THe cable stretches over time and if not tight enough all you do is add lots of fuel on start up not switch off the fuel pum"

You can turn off the fuel pump by removing the fuse in the boot. I know this as the fuse was removed when they did the Terraclean for me.

Done a bit of research for you :- fuel pump module fuse in the boot fusebox (F5, 30A)
    It's in the detail.
    [SIZE=4]

Post Thanks / Like
    Still researching for you. Found a fuse box diagram for a 2002 XKR but it should not be too much different that yours. I have taken this snippet off for you.

Fuse 7? My advise. Pull fuse 7. Turn it over for around 10-15 seconds. Replace fuse. Re try starting straight away. (fingers crossed for you)

It's in the detail.
    [SIZE=4]

Post Thanks / Like
    Blimey frankc, cant believe how much you are helping out here. Thank you, and to the others that have jumped in too.

I wasnt keen on putting oil straight in so was trying the fuse out route first. Trouble with 'a small amount' is that my small amount may be a lot more than theirs. The AA man did mention a loss of compression though, and it still feels the same as the video you linked.

On the X100, its a 20A in F7, or at least thats what the box says, but I'm sure I could still here the fuel pump running when I clicked ignition. I ran out of daylight and enthusiasm before I got much further, so I'll be checking that out tomorrow. Then I need to get the covers back off and try and check these circuit to the plugs. Or, try and find a mobile electrical mechanic.

I need to get someone out there with me to check the throttle cable. I did wonder if that was actually working properly. Hopefully I can get the wife out there tomorrow.

I love my car but not loving this.

11. Likes frankc liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes its the same fuse as the one in the above list then.

I do know how you feel. Been in more or less the same boat. My problem was car went in for some extensive bodywork. Car came out ran fine. Got 3/4 the way home and stopped at some road works. Turned engine off. Tried to start............ nothing. Turned over fine but no matter what I did the ***** thing would not start. 3 days later still stuck at the roadside, the nice roadwork men moved their stuff passed the car and around it to protect it. In the meantime I had re-joined a rescue service and then had the car towed back to the garage. Turned out the brand new earthing cable under the car had not been put back on a clean surface and it was not earthing. Cable off. Area cleaned. Earth cable back on.......... started first time.

It may not help much but I really feel your getting close to a solution. Logically if you have a spark and you have fuel it should start.
    It's in the detail.
    [SIZE=4]

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast