Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Free bus travel

Post Thanks / Like

Free bus travel

The Scottish arm of the Great British people are suggesting they will be looking at giving free public travel o all and labour are suggesting reversing deregulation of public transportation should they gain power 🤣.
    How much is that going to cost the English taxpayers ? Let’s face it them and the welsh receive more freebies than those that are grafting their buttocks off in the south .
    Maybe sturgeon is Junckers love child 🤣

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by s collins View Post
    The Scottish arm of the Great British people are suggesting they will be looking at giving free public travel o all and labour are suggesting reversing deregulation of public transportation should they gain power 🤣.
    How much is that going to cost the English taxpayers ? Let’s face it them and the welsh receive more freebies than those that are grafting their buttocks off in the south .
    Maybe sturgeon is Junckers love child 🤣
    Well since I believe Scottish pensions are lower (is that correct?) then Scots pensioners need some help too?

Not so many are able to use buses in the south so it could be similar low numbers there too.

I would like poor old people to not have to pay council tax too, it's a serious burden to most.

Since we have to pay taxes and National Insurance for 34 working years don't we deserve a rest once we finally retire?

Post Thanks / Like
    It’s not aimed at pensioners Jim of which I agree with but everyone ��*♂️does austerity not extent north of Hadrian’s wall ��

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_S-V6_2004 View Post
    Since we have to pay taxes and National Insurance for 34 working years don't we deserve a rest once we finally retire?
    Only 34 years Jim, I did 45!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a bus pass!

It allows me free travel on service bus's after 9:15am.

However,it did not allow me free travel on Nottingham's tram service,the rather 'dishy' female inspector advised me to purchase a single ticket for my return trip....

My son told me that I had been let off due to my age,cheeky bugger!

Before we moved fro Lincoln to N Norfolk,I got real value from my bus pass...jumping a bus into the city centre and back was easy and quick,these days most of my needs are met by interwebthingy for banking and shopping,so the bus pass sits in my wallet and is rarely used....
    But it costs 'er indoors £5,75 for a return,I travel free!

2000 S Type manual(now sold and replaced with a Transit Connect!) BMW E30 cabbie in the very rare neon green colour and a Nissan Micra for 'er indoors!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
    Only 34 years Jim, I did 45!
    It's the minimum to qualify for full pension Geoff.

The rest is optional? I became unemployable from age 54! Nobody wants a grey-haired ex-VP/Director even as an IT techie or a sales manager.

I paid voluntary Class III Stamp while I was working overseas. The DSS stopped drawing it in 2008.

Last edited by Jim_S-V6_2004; 09-03-19 at 22:13.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by s collins View Post
    It’s not aimed at pensioners Jim of which I agree with but everyone ��*♂️does austerity not extent north of Hadrian’s wall ��
    Oh, wow! I misread that.

Extraordinary pre-election tactics.

Who is pushing that?

And what would deregulation mean?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by E30MW View Post
    I have a bus pass!

It allows me free travel on service bus's after 9:15am.

However,it did not allow me free travel on Nottingham's tram service,the rather 'dishy' female inspector advised me to purchase a single ticket for my return trip....

My son told me that I had been let off due to my age,cheeky bugger!

Before we moved fro Lincoln to N Norfolk,I got real value from my bus pass...jumping a bus into the city centre and back was easy and quick,these days most of my needs are met by interwebthingy for banking and shopping,so the bus pass sits in my wallet and is rarely used....
    But it costs 'er indoors £5,75 for a return,I travel free!

Is it from age 60 E30?

Do I recall there's a limit on how far you can travel as well as times?

So I couldn't use it to tour the UK from Reading Bus Station?

Although I seem to remember a couple who did just that a few years ago, planned their bus (and coach?) route then did it, with B&B stops?

Post Thanks / Like
    I got my bus pass at 63. It's being phased in to match the age of the female pension age (male or female) and I can use it anywhere in the UK on local bus services between 9.30am and 11.00pm.

I got caught out the other night as I got on at a bus stop timed at 11.01pm. The driver pointed out that my pass wasn't valid and I needed to pay. I genuinely expressed surprise but he kindly let me on for free.
    "I know I'm a pessimist because my glass is always half empty...even when it's full".

2009 X-Type 2.2D Sovereign - Indigo Blue with Ivory Leather

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_S-V6_2004 View Post
    Well since I believe Scottish pensions are lower (is that correct?) then Scots pensioners need some help too?

Not so many are able to use buses in the south so it could be similar low numbers there too.

I would like poor old people to not have to pay council tax too, it's a serious burden to most.

Oh yes, I'll have some of that because we are poor (very)
    A very cynical grumpy old man
    Late 2004 2.7D auto
    Connoisseur of Fine Ales
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - What a ride, where are the wimmin?"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast