Thread: Not again...

Post Thanks / Like

Not again...

Hi all,

So, I was walking out of the docs this morning heading to the car and watched someone reverse into it. Smack.

Front wing damaged and passenger door wouldn't open.

Already been over to the bodyshop I use and they have advised of the price but it would be best to get a replacement wing as it's easier and cheaper (and better still if it's in the right paint code). He has sorted it so we can open the door however.

Anyone know anywhere that's currently got a passenger side front wing in paint code PED (anthracite black) that is going spare for a sensible price?

Again, as per the value vs repair cost, insurance just want to write it off, so time for a conversation with him that smacked it to see what they say and how much they will cough up...

Sigh...

TMW
    Black 2001 3.0 V6 SE Auto
    Lots of miles covered - many more still to do...

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I feel for you.

An elderly gentleman reversed out of his friend's drive and scraped down the side of my old Merc which was properly parked across the street from him as I watched several years ago.

Luckily I was close and ran to him before he drove off or I'd never know how it happened.

I gave him a week or so to calm down and get the 3 estimates then called him and suggested we settle direct because he didn't have NCD protection, and he offered to meet half the middle repair cost. I accepted, not wishing to cause him more distress.

Post Thanks / Like
    Aw crap! Is the third party playing nicely?

If you do have to go down the insurance route this time, I believe you can refuse to accept a write off on it as it was someone else's fault - as the 'victim' you are entitled to have your property restored to the condition it was immediately before the incident.
    ex - 2002 X-Type 2.5 V6; 1995 XJ Sport 3.2; 1998 Mercedes C180 Elegance; VW Passat 2.0TDI (140); Audi A4 Avant 2.0TDI; Nissan Qashqai 1.5dCi; Current - 2007 XJ 4.2 V8 Sovereign, and occasionally an Electric Wheelchair!

It wasn't me! A big boy done it and ran away.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fat controller View Post
    Aw crap! Is the third party playing nicely?

If you do have to go down the insurance route this time, I believe you can refuse to accept a write off on it as it was someone else's fault - as the 'victim' you are entitled to have your property restored to the condition it was immediately before the incident.
    Ultimately it's the insurers decision, read the T&Cs of your policy. The bottom line is they have to put you back to the position you were in before the incident, cash or repair whichever is most economic for them. You can try negotiating and some insurers will accept a pragmatic solution . others won't (Computer says ....) You could also agree to write off but keep the car and have it repaired with cheaper parts. An insurance repair has to be guaranteed so will replace parts rather than repair where possible.

e.g.

My brother had a coach reverse in to his parked car, not major just a broken rear light cluster and scratched bumper no panels bent. Cost of new bumper and light was > 50% of value of £1200. The problem was brother had agreed to part ex in the scrappage deal that went on a few years ago so he would lose £800. He rang the coach insurers and proposed that they ignore the bumper as it was cosmetic, he would get £2000 whatever the condition, and just replace the light for around £200 to make it legal. A human agreed and everyone was happy all round.
    XF MY15.5 3.0d S Portfolio Stratus Grey with Ivory interior.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, a good ending to this one.

Did some research and the chap who did my door repair last year is going to spray and fit a replacement wing for me. Found a wing at an on-line breakers (which is frustratingly the wrong paint code), but the whole job, parts, spray and fit, is £254.

I contacted the 3rd party and advised on all and I am now £250 better off from him so the repair is costing me £4.

No insurance, no write-off, and they're also going to sort out the faded patch at the back for an extra nominal fee so it's actually working out well.

Just need to wait for the wing to arrive and then book it in.

Regards

TMW

6. Likes fat controller, Lost it, santer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi all,

Just to advise, he's gone in today for the new wing to be fitted. They are also sorting out the flat, faded lacquer at the back at the same time for me.

Get him back tomorrow afternoon, all sorted and good.

Regards

TMW

8. Likes fat controller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's a very good price bud, hope it's a good job.

You may need to do a bit of polishing after, but not immediately, when I had a paint job done (many years ago) the chap told me to let the paint and clear coat harden for a couple of weeks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_S-V6_2004 View Post
    That's a very good price bud, hope it's a good job.
    Hi all,

Got him back today - all good and very happy.

Going back there tomorrow to get the Mustang MoT done so here's hoping for another success there too...

Regards

TMW

11. Likes fat controller liked this post