Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wanted TDVI

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidEdney123 View Post
    That leaper really is tragic isn't it, a metre up the bonnet. I will be very surprised if it's just stuck on, and even if it is the paint underneath will be damaged.

Considering how toppy the pricing is on all these cars are you quite sure you need the low running costs of the diesel? The petrols are far nicer, and also far less prone to expensive faults and massive catastrophic failures than the diesel too. The difference in running costs will be trivial compared to the depreciation that a £10k X358 is going to suffer, and may well be offset by a few diesel related repair bills. My S-Type D with that engine cost more per mile to run than my previous 4 litre petrol XJ6 over 60,000 miles or so.

Looking back we have a 25/30k a year habit of 90% motorway on a sunday. The soot chucker makes sense as we do the right miles and the fuel can be tax allowable. I also like the way the diesel does its thing at low revs. The last 5 cars have been oilers, 4 BMW and a honda so perhaps i am a bit diesel blind.
    I dont see the price disparity between petrol and diesel at purchase, late cars are dead similar in price from my search.

Here is a nice petrol 137k miles 7.5k
    https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...=JAGUAR&page=1

And a similar oiler 142k miles and 6.5k
    https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...=JAGUAR&page=1

Post Thanks / Like
    Just want to chuck this one out here

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...01901234215472

Not sure if the 3.0 has the same fondness for wrecking it's crank as the 2.7.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just want to chuck this one out here

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...01901234215472

Not sure if the 3.0 has the same fondness for wrecking it's crank as the 2.7.
    Not enough jag in them newer jags for me, probably a better buy.

Post Thanks / Like
    The leapers on the headrests are probably vinyl stick on’s, I am waiting for the warmer weather to apply a set I got from eBay, I had a set on my previous XJ8 and they looked great, I will leave Alec to tell you the origin of his. My current XJ8 has a leaper on the bonnet being a Japanese re-import, I can live with it for now but one day I will probably remove it. I am thinking that a pre face lift s-type bonnet badge will go in its place.
    Current Jags

2009 XJ8 4.2 Executive Onyx White
    2009 XF 3.0D PL in Cashmere

Previous Jags

2006 S-Type SE 2.7D in Prism Blue
    2008 XF 2.7d premium luxury in Pearl Grey
    2007 XK Convertible Midnight Black currently MIA presumed incinerated at Echo Arena New Years Eve 2017
    2004 XJ8 3.5 SE Zircon Blue
    2008 X Type Sovereign Auto 2.2D Glacier Blue
    2005 S Type SE 2.7D Auto Zircon Blue
    2003 X Type SE 3.O Topaz
    2001 XK8 4.0 Pacific Blue
    1978 XJ12L 5.3 V12 Tobacco Brown with Black Vinyl roof

5. Likes FlatCap liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Do them Jap imports come all set up for the uk when you buy them, MPH, radio nav etc?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine came via a local garage so not sure if they sorted the speedo but it is mph. Radio and nav needed intervention via ids/sdd software that I bought from British diagnostics fairly straightforward to set up and use. Last weekend I finally got round to re-setting the seatbelt chime that was annoying me as it started as soon as the key went in, now 10 sec or so delay as UK spec, and got it to lock on drive away. Only other issue is no Bluetooth and no wiring in boot for it, and no aux in, neither a major issue for me and an fm modulator covers my limited needs.

The radio was working but all stations were 20 less than normal, ie 96.5 was 76.5 etc and no RDS which I like, labelling on Nav was in Japanese but maps were correct.
    Last edited by 1955davidr; 16-03-19 at 09:25.
    Current Jags

2009 XJ8 4.2 Executive Onyx White
    2009 XF 3.0D PL in Cashmere

Previous Jags

2006 S-Type SE 2.7D in Prism Blue
    2008 XF 2.7d premium luxury in Pearl Grey
    2007 XK Convertible Midnight Black currently MIA presumed incinerated at Echo Arena New Years Eve 2017
    2004 XJ8 3.5 SE Zircon Blue
    2008 X Type Sovereign Auto 2.2D Glacier Blue
    2005 S Type SE 2.7D Auto Zircon Blue
    2003 X Type SE 3.O Topaz
    2001 XK8 4.0 Pacific Blue
    1978 XJ12L 5.3 V12 Tobacco Brown with Black Vinyl roof

8. Thanks FlatCap thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    By way of a bump, todays browsing brought this up. https://www.pistonheads.com/classifi...uk-car/9525376
    Not a diesel but looks lovely but not sold on the color scheme. great value too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello FlatCap

I have sent you a PM.

Pezza
    2007 XJ Sovereign Twin Turbo Diesel LWB, Liquid silver, ivory leather and a whole host of other goodies!

Post Thanks / Like
    That is a much, much better buy. Top of the market for an early car and a private sale. I'd expect it to be immaculate with all the big expensive things (valley hose particularly) done for that price.

Drive one and you will not want an underpowered, laggy diesel.

Post Thanks / Like
    That is a much, much better buy. Top of the market for an early car and a private sale. I'd expect it to be immaculate with all the big expensive things (valley hose particularly) done for that price.

Drive one and you will not want an underpowered, laggy diesel.
    Just couldnt live with the high 20's mpg for the miles we do, i have grown used to the sipping machines.

That XJR does look smashing, just not sold on the Kensington racing beige, Maybe a nice SC and a merc W211 estate would work.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast