Thread: S-Type expert needed

Post Thanks / Like

S-Type expert needed

Hi all,
    I've been cruising my S-Type with no troubles and loving it !
    But she has developed some problems and I'm looking for guidance.
    My pin-straight 2.7L Auto Deisel has just started playing up.

P0670 only code read by standard readers
    ABS fault
    DSC fault
    and out of the blue gearbox fault (jolts when put in reverse)

I am sure the gearbox fault is not a serious mechanical issue and related to a sensor or maybe a gbox solenoid. Has anyone else been here?

P0670 in my case meant the after-glow phase was inoperative. This was solved by drying out the moisture I found in the main ECU/Engine connector block (PI41) where two of the glow plug module wires pass.

Realizing that standard OBD2 readers would give me no clues to these other faults and that I need to read on J2534 level.
    I've acquired a clone mongoose pro and an old laptop now, had trouble with getting supplied new version of sdd to even install.

AT THIS POINT I MUST PAY HOMAGE TO TheMindBuddah WHOSE THREADS & LINKS HAVE ASSISTED ME TO INSTALL & RUN SDD.v130 IN VITUAL BOX ON UBUNTU OS.

SDD is not exactly user friendly and live in fear of the damage that can be done. I understand that a battery must be used when running SDD, Is this true ? Can a battery charger be attached instead ?
    I need clues to help me fix these issues but dont want to cause irrepairable damage.

Can anyone help me identify the problems and where I need to focus my attention ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Post moved to the correct section... mmm S-Type section
    Rory - Jaguar Forum Administrator - Help Support the Forum

Post Thanks / Like
    Multiple simultaneous faults often boils down to a weak battery. I would check that out first. Look for over 12.4v first thing in the morning before starting.
    S-Type 3.0 Manual MY2001 in Pacific Blue with Cashmere Leather Sport Seats, Sunroof, Melbourne Alloys, Premium Sound plus some other stuff ... 55k miles.
    XKR 5.0 Speed Pack MY2011 in Polaris White with Ivory/Charcoal Leather, Nevis Alloys and R-Performance Interior plus some other stuff ... 17k miles.
    Hyundai Tucson 1.6T AWD MY2016 in White Sand. Basic, comfortable and surprisingly fast and competent ... 12k miles.
    FIAT Coupe MY1997 in Steel Grey with Tan Leather ... 55k miles.

4. Likes S-Type Owner liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Have you been able to find out if there is a code from the ABS sensors. When you have a fault there it can affect the gearbox.

6. Likes S-Type Owner liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Check the battery, it needs to be in 5* condition.
    A very cynical grumpy old man
    Late 2004 2.7D auto
    Connoisseur of Fine Ales
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - What a ride, where are the wimmin?"

8. Likes S-Type Owner liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd definitely check ABS sensors and reluctor rings. A weak battery will often give a parkbrake fault too (not always). But a failing ABS sensor will cause gearbox faults.
    2005 Jaguar S-Type R in Ebony Black

Post Thanks / Like
    First step in troubleshooting these cars is check the condition of the battery and charging system. 12.2 volts and below, after the surface charge is dissipated, will cause the ECU to throw error codes with ABS and DSC being among the more common ones encountered. ABS errors will absolutely impact automatic transmission performance as the transmission controlled relies upon wheel speed input as a part of its programming.
    2003 S-Type 3.0, Zircon with the "Premium Package"...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by V6 twin jimbo View Post
    Can anyone help me identify the problems and where I need to focus my attention ?
    Welcome to the Jimbos' Forums, Jimbo#6+.

There are probably more Jimbos here than other forums I've been on!

So first check as our buddies said - what's your battery voltage at the battery terminals before you first start the car?

We expect snappy answers here, y'know!

Then second check is the rear ABS sensors and their toothed (reluctor) rings on the drive shafts.

The rings often corrode and lift, damaging the sensors and then giving oscillating amplitude pulses.