Thread: "Stan & Ollie"

Post Thanks / Like

"Stan & Ollie"

I found this an odd film to watch!

Starting off at the height of their fame in 1937, the film implied that the pair were perpetually skint as a result of the contracts they'd entered into.

Fast forwarding to 1953, the pair are in England living in grotty hotels performing in provincial theatres, all the time still earning no money!

I believe the film would have carried more weight if this had been the lynchpin of the story line but instead, it left me wondering what the film was trying to tell us??

Of course it covered their great friendship and the fall outs but for me, I left the screening somewhat unfulfilled.

One thing I hadn't realised was that Stan was the dominant partner, with Ollie playing a subservient role.
    03 XJR X350, Silver with White Leather & 2017 Mondeo Vignale Est, Adaptive Cruise, Parking Assist, Lane Keeping, Blind Spot Monitoring, Collision Mitigation, Speed Sign Recognition, City Stop. Newly "refurbed" TD5 Series 2 Millennium Ltd Edition Derv. 1999 Larson 290 Cabrio, 2 x 4.3ltr V6 190hp Mercruisers. Triumph Trophy 1200cc

2. Likes C16RKC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by StokieChris View Post
    I found this an odd film to watch!

Starting off at the height of their fame in 1937, the film implied that the pair were perpetually skint as a result of the contracts they'd entered into.

Fast forwarding to 1953, the pair are in England living in grotty hotels performing in provincial theatres, all the time still earning no money!

I believe the film would have carried more weight if this had been the lynchpin of the story line but instead, it left me wondering what the film was trying to tell us??

Of course it covered their great friendship and the fall outs but for me, I left the screening somewhat unfulfilled.

One thing I hadn't realised was that Stan was the dominant partner, with Ollie playing a subservient role.
    Strange I actually loved this, thought it was fantastic and surprinsgly so. At first didn't' like how it fast forwarded but thought it worked really well with both giving sublime performances.
    Cheers Pug
    2006 S-Type 2.7D Sport, Stage 1 Remap 258bhp/403lbs, K&N Filter, HGZ Green, Barley Leather Interior with Aluminium Dashboard, 15mm Spacers, Clear Indicators, Colour Coded Reflectors, Jaguar "Logo" Door Floor Lights, Green LED Footwell Lighting.

4. Thanks StokieChris thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pugheaven1 View Post
    Strange I actually loved this, thought it was fantastic and surprinsgly so. At first didn't' like how it fast forwarded but thought it worked really well with both giving sublime performances.
    Agreed. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Especially the two wives.
    2000 Jaguar X308 4.0
    1973 Jensen Interceptor Mk III 7.2
    1969 Jensen Interceptor Mk I 6.3

6. Thanks StokieChris thanked for this post