Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MOT Nightmare - you have to laugh sometimes !!! ( or cry )

Post Thanks / Like

MOT Nightmare - you have to laugh sometimes !!! ( or cry )

Took my 2.0d for its MOT this morning. I took it to the local Kwik Fit, which is about 7 miles drive from my house. Have used them for the past few years, and they have always been pretty good.

Was expecting a couple of things as some of the front bushes were advisories last time, and the front was feeling a bit sloppy, so suspected the control arm bushes at the very least. It passed fine last year, so wasn't too worried about a few things needing doing now. What I didn't expect was...

Tester comes up to me and says 'sorry mate, the front brake pipe has just split while we were doing the brake test'

Its the actual metal fixed pipe. So I ask if they can fix it for me so we can get on with the test and I can at least take it home and sort out the other things. They said they only had a tiny bit of copper left, and nobody there was very good at doing pipes :/ So the bloke phones a local garage around the corner, he says he can do it, in about 5 hours and will cost 'around £100'

This would mean me having to also get a taxi home, and then one back once it was done, at around £15 a time.

Luckily I have Green Flag rescue cover, so I phone them to collect me and drop me and the car back home so at least I can try and sort it out myself. It takes him an hour and a half to arrive ( he was a nice bloke though, and very knowledgeable, and did say if it was him he would have hit the roof with them ! As an aside, the van mounted trolley thing they have for towing cars is very cool ! ). So a quick hour MOT ended up taking me four hours in total, and I still have a broken car on the driveway.

Have got the old pipe out ( which seems to be routed the most bizarre roundabout way they could! ) in the peeing rain and howling gale, only took about 20 minutes though. So now have the joy of trying to get either the local village garage to make up a new one, or faffing about back in town trying to find somewhere that does them.

On the plus side, the only other fails were on a couple of bushes, a small bit of sill welding and a new drop link, all things I can do myself and pretty cheap.

Sometimes I hate cars
    2004 X Type 2.0d SE

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mikextype View Post
    Took my 2.0d for its MOT this morning. I took it to the local Kwik Fit, which is about 7 miles drive from my house. Have used them for the past few years, and they have always been pretty good.

Was expecting a couple of things as some of the front bushes were advisories last time, and the front was feeling a bit sloppy, so suspected the control arm bushes at the very least. It passed fine last year, so wasn't too worried about a few things needing doing now. What I didn't expect was...

Tester comes up to me and says 'sorry mate, the front brake pipe has just split while we were doing the brake test'

Its the actual metal fixed pipe. So I ask if they can fix it for me so we can get on with the test and I can at least take it home and sort out the other things. They said they only had a tiny bit of copper left, and nobody there was very good at doing pipes :/ So the bloke phones a local garage around the corner, he says he can do it, in about 5 hours and will cost 'around £100'

This would mean me having to also get a taxi home, and then one back once it was done, at around £15 a time.

Luckily I have Green Flag rescue cover, so I phone them to collect me and drop me and the car back home so at least I can try and sort it out myself. It takes him an hour and a half to arrive ( he was a nice bloke though, and very knowledgeable, and did say if it was him he would have hit the roof with them ! As an aside, the van mounted trolley thing they have for towing cars is very cool ! ). So a quick hour MOT ended up taking me four hours in total, and I still have a broken car on the driveway.

Have got the old pipe out ( which seems to be routed the most bizarre roundabout way they could! ) in the peeing rain and howling gale, only took about 20 minutes though. So now have the joy of trying to get either the local village garage to make up a new one, or faffing about back in town trying to find somewhere that does them.

On the plus side, the only other fails were on a couple of bushes, a small bit of sill welding and a new drop link, all things I can do myself and pretty cheap.

Sometimes I hate cars
    a mate of mine took his car into the local halfords for the mot. When doing fast rev test the cambelt broke and totalled the engine. It's in the small print of any mot that if it breaks they are not to blame..

3. Thanks mikextype thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I feel your pain!

But keep your chin up, at least you got your car back home and can now sort it on your own terms.

Good luck with the re-test!
    2017 XE Portfolio 180PS AWD in Santorini Black with climate pack (I don't scrape!) panoramic roof, privacy glass and 19" style 1015 wheels (that I'd happily swap for a nice set of 18" 5 spokes. Anyone?)

5. Thanks mikextype thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I suppose really I am glad it split there rather than when I was driving there ! Local village garage is going to make up a new pipe today, so hopefully will be back on the road tomorrow at least !
    2004 X Type 2.0d SE

Post Thanks / Like
    What really happened will be some NVQ monkey ripped it off whilst checking the bushes, most of them check by swing on it with a crowbar.
    I just saw an Audi driver using his indicators correctly on the motorway. Twice. Should I report the vehicle as stolen?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    '56 plate X-Type 2.2D Sovereign Winter Gold -- 131k Miles --
    '06 plate X-Type 2.0D Sport Ultraviolet -120k Miles --

8. Likes mikextype liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know whereabouts you are MikeXtype, but Midnight Motors in St Albans Road north Watford will make up brake pipes while you wait.

10. Likes mikextype liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    a bad day can turn out to be a horrible day but now its over you can look forward , you can buy the kit for future use and make your own brake pipes
    2005 x type 2.0D estate sport in black

12. Likes mikextype liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bugsb View Post
    you can buy the kit for future use and make your own brake pipes
    This. Kunifer (copper-nickel mix) is better than both pure copper or steel, and can be bought online by the metre. You can easily bend it by hand or roll it around a bit of old pipe (like copper radiator pipe) to make your bends, which is especially useful if you need to bend-as-you-go while laying on your back under the car. A cheap flare kit will make the double bubble you need at each end in no time. My kit cost about a fiver and has done multiple cars over the years - you just need to remember to fit the nuts on before you flare both ends!
    2004 X-Type 3.0 Executive Estate, Pacific Blue with Champagne Leather and CarPC install.

14. Thanks mikextype thanked for this post
    Likes mikextype liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RageMonkey1989 View Post
    What really happened will be some NVQ monkey ripped it off whilst checking the bushes, most of them check by swing on it with a crowbar.
    not necessarily.
    mine split open when we were doing some work on it in the workshop whihc required a firm application of the brakes.
    Regards
    Bloders

06 X Type 2.2 Sovereign

16. Likes mikextype liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think it was their fault, removing the pipe I can see the end was pretty corroded, so was probably just a matter of time before it went. Was only afterwards I realised how scary it could have been, so am going to check the condition of all the other pipes as well now just to be safe. Was a pain that a garage full of mechanics couldn't actually fit a new one though!
    2004 X Type 2.0d SE

18. Likes bloders liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast