Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dificulty reading information display in daytime

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Dificulty reading information display in daytime

Hi,
    I find that I have difficulty at times trying to determine the information shown on the small info display on the speedo especially during daytime when so much reflection makes visibility of the info a problem and, very often, an impossibility.
    The black on green does little to help the details stand out (the direct opposite of a friend’s Merc C200 which displays crisp white characters on a black background)

I have ensured that the rheostat is fully up. It really is a pain to try and see what is being advised a lot of the time during the day and a danger taking your eyes off the road to try and focus on this hard to read screen.
    It is somewhat better at night it must be said but headlights on during a dull sort of day does not make any difference so it seems to require the cabin being dark before it displays with any effect.

Is there a possibility that there is a lumination fault ?

OR....... is it just me ???

The Devil finds work for idle hands!!

2008 x-type 2.2d SE Auto Estate in Glacier Blue with SEL leather trim and Barbados alloys. Oh...and all the toys ! love it !

Post Thanks / Like
    A picture would be handy.

Just to clarify, is it the green back-light that is not bright enough?
    Or are the black letters/digits faded?

I'm wondering if the LCD has been sun/heat damaged.
    My old VW had a dodgy LCD that started to pixelate in the summer, but returned to normal in the winter.
    Sometimes the damage can be permanent.
    X-Type 2.0d Classic 04MY
    Well... 🎵 It's got a CD player! (Player player player player)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaktoaster View Post
    A picture would be handy.

Just to clarify, is it the green back-light that is not bright enough?
    Or are the black letters/digits faded?

I'm wondering if the LCD has been sun/heat damaged.
    My old VW had a dodgy LCD that started to pixelate in the summer, but returned to normal in the winter.
    Sometimes the damage can be permanent.
    Thanks for the reply Flaktoaster.

The display is not faded and there is no pixelation and the digits are not faded. I did have pixelation on the info screen on my MG ZT-T in a previous existence so I am aware of that effect.

In the evening and at night, the display is no problem.

It just seems as though the backlighting behind the display is just totally inadequate during daylight hours, especially if it is bright sun. The choice of black on green was a poor option I believe. I understand that the problem is also found on the Mk2 XF, or so I read somewhere.

John in Oxfordshire

2008 x-type 2.2d SE Auto Estate in Glacier Blue with SEL leather trim and Barbados alloys. Oh...and all the toys ! love it !

Post Thanks / Like
    it could be the viewing angle, all lcd displays have to adjust the viewing angle of the lcd cell to get the best contrast. the green backlight can be adjusted by the instrument line adjuster but there is no adjustment of viewing angle. the display on the touchscreen is a good example its unreadable during the day when viewed from the drivers seat but if you bend over so you are looking at it directly its fine

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi x_type_lpg,
    Yes, I know what you mean.
    however, the info screen is immediately in front of me as it is within the speedo so it is a direct view.

All said and done, with a lot of reflections around on a bright day, black letters on green background are never likely to be as easily legible at a glance compared to black on a white background.

Just have to put up with it, I reckon.
    It’s obviously working the way that Jaguar was happy with when it was designed.

John in Oxfordshire

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JEK View Post
    Just have to put up with it, I reckon.
    It’s obviously working the way that Jaguar was happy with when it was designed.
    I could only imagine how it looks on your dash, but i can say that mine is legible in nearly all lighting conditions, including when wearing sunglasses.
    There may very well be something wrong with yours.

I'll try and post some pictures of mine soon.

Edit: Oh and don't go thinking my eyes must be perfect. I need glasses to read anything beyond arms length
    Last edited by Flaktoaster; 15-03-19 at 15:22.
    X-Type 2.0d Classic 04MY
    Well... 🎵 It's got a CD player! (Player player player player)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaktoaster View Post
    ...but i can say that mine is legible in nearly all lighting conditions, including when wearing sunglasses.
    There may very well be something wrong with yours.
    Ditto. Mine's easily readable in pretty much all light conditions too. The LCD on the radio seems to be generically poo but I don't think I've ever seen a difficult to read message centre display. I have heard of some (non jag) car owners replacing just the LCD with a soldering iron, but no idea how difficult that is, though it's got to be easier (certainly cheaper) than getting another instrument binnacle fitted and reprogrammed along with the mileage clocked to the correct value.
    2005 2.0D SE, stage 1 remap, EGR blank, remote fold mod, tailgate auto lift mod.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner69 View Post
    Ditto. Mine's easily readable in pretty much all light conditions too. The LCD on the radio seems to be generically poo but I don't think I've ever seen a difficult to read message centre display. I have heard of some (non jag) car owners replacing just the LCD with a soldering iron, but no idea how difficult that is, though it's got to be easier (certainly cheaper) than getting another instrument binnacle fitted and reprogrammed along with the mileage clocked to the correct value.
    Thanks, Flaktoaster and Roadrunner69 for your comments.

I must see if I can get some photos also to better describe/justify my disappointment with the display.
    I can only assume that there must be something amiss with mine.
    There are other forum members who have mentioned the same difficulty in the past on the forum so I feel it’s not just my imagination.
    because it is quite dull here today, the screen is able to be read so I will wait for the sun to arrive...... hopefully soon.

Thanks
    John in Oxfordshire

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, I'm on my second X, the first owned since nearly new. On that, and my current car, I found the displays difficult to read in bright conditions. Good clarity when not direct sunlight and at night. I put it down to 'one of dem Jag t'ings' and possibly older eyes not being so sharp with specs!
    2.2D X Type Sovereign. 57 reg, Indigo blue metallic. 118k when bought mid August, now at 125k. Everything works! (So far....) Niggly jobs and servicing sorted, but always something to do for a tinkerer!

10. Likes Lost it liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Hi, I'm on my second X, the first owned since nearly new. On that, and my current car, I found the displays difficult to read in bright conditions. Good clarity when not direct sunlight and at night. I put it down to 'one of dem Jag t'ings' and possibly older eyes not being so sharp with specs!
    Thanks for your comment, JohnW.

Thank goodness I am not alone on this. I was about to get an urgent appointment at Specsavers !!

John in Oxfordshire

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast