Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I keep looking at Jags!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I keep looking at Jags!!!!!

Hello Folks

Not posted on here since I said goodbye https://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=109962

Now as much as my S-Type was not all roses I seem to be drawn to the Marque again. I went budget the last time and paid dearly with repairs exceeding the purchase price of the car.

Well I am now thinking of an XE and a diesel one at that. Given the woes of the 2.7 manual I had before why some may ask, well I did enjoy my last one when it was working. Given the S was a 2005 car with over 100 k miles I will remember the good times. So what should I test and what should I expect. I like the idea of the AWD 237 Hp model but I like my manuals which all tend to be down in the power numbers. This car whatever would be my daily and I would be covering between 30-40 k a year so mpg does matter so compromise may be the result.

I know I can pick up a good delivery mileage car for less than £25k but do I want to spend that on a car that may cover 100 k in less than three years? These are some of the questions I hope you all can help answer before I find my self on a test drive.

Just for fun a look at my weekend car, and a link to a Piston-heads thread of mine. i do like my British cars!

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...0&f=&t=1796766

& the video for which some Jaguar drivers may have some comment! He said it not me, for his penance see his video on a 3.2 V8 XJ

Regards Steve

2. Likes Jodel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Steve and welcome back.

So I gather your annual mileage could be more than 20k?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Jim

The "new" car will cover over 30k each year and may near 40k dependant on a number of factors. My base miles per week are 770 and have been for 7 years now and prior to these 7 years were slightly more, contractor you see! I did have a wee van for a while for tax reasons but the savings made did not make up for the lack of comfort.

Regards

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome back Steve...........potentially, who knows you might go all German on us, as one other has

30 to 40k miles a year is a heap of travelling, so diesel is the way to go, or you'd think so.

Not sure about where you are, but diesel is now a clear 10p a litre more than petrol here in God's County, so I'd be doing some serious math using the mpg of one of each.

Also with that mileage, is it safe to assume your job will be paying the fuel costs or part there of?

As for the video, very enjoyable and if I hadn't known the car before I heard the exhaust and s/c whine, I'd have thought he was driving my Super V8.

Well presented, reminds me so much of the TG of old.

Good luck in the hunt, let's hope it does indeed end in a Jaaag

Rich
    Silentum Sicarius

2006MY Super V8 LWB
    Midnight Black with Ivory & Black Suedecloth Headlining
    All options except Sunroof. Lambswool Overmats are MIA
    Longlife Exhaust & a Caldoofy - Waft 'N' Loud
    Nextbase Duo Dashcam

My Showroom Thread

2008MY LR Discovery 3 HSE V6 2.7TD
    Buckingham Blue with Alpacca
    Nextbase Duo Dashcam

You're a long time dead, Enjoy life whilst you have it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Rich

It's hard not to go German even when it's not German, they are everywhere. I have owned a BMW 335i which while fast, frugal etc was not reliable, engaging or that cheap to keep on the road. So if you see the PH thread you may note my bias towards British made if not really British cars. I would like the 380 bhp XE but that would not be prudent would it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Prudence!

Should be banned from the English Language
    Silentum Sicarius

2006MY Super V8 LWB
    Midnight Black with Ivory & Black Suedecloth Headlining
    All options except Sunroof. Lambswool Overmats are MIA
    Longlife Exhaust & a Caldoofy - Waft 'N' Loud
    Nextbase Duo Dashcam

My Showroom Thread

2008MY LR Discovery 3 HSE V6 2.7TD
    Buckingham Blue with Alpacca
    Nextbase Duo Dashcam

You're a long time dead, Enjoy life whilst you have it!

8. Thanks Jimbov8 thanked for this post
    Likes Jimbov8 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Steve from what little I've seen of the Jags, my preference would be between the XF and XJ saloons for comfort for such mileage.

I once did about 30k company miles in one year and it felt like my car was my office for 5 hours every day. I didn't want to go anywhere at weekends.

The XE looked less comfortable but I've not driven any of them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the replies.

There are a number of reasons why the XE appeals more so than the other suggestions. In no particular order.
    1. It will fit in my garage the others are just to long, not the end of the world but counts.
    2. MPG my current daily a 2001 Rover 75 cdti returns almost 50mpg so equal or better appeals.
    3. Driver appeal, from all I have read they deliver the dynamics I seek. Also being smaller the back roads I have to drive will feel that little bit wider.

The thing that may discount it, only one being boot size and shape It looks pretty small for the size of car.

Regards

Post Thanks / Like
    One way of looking at your purchase,OP,is to seek out a three year old with around 10k miles showing....then after a year and 30k more going on,wiegh up your depriciation hit and see if it viable to run the thing a further year or replace at the four year point.

Another option would be to buy at twelve months,so the first big hit is taken on value,and keep it for 10+ years,when the huge mileage hit will be less important than a full service history.

Difficult choice,what ever you do will see value crucified at your annual usage rate!

2000 S Type manual(now sold and replaced with a Transit Connect!) BMW E30 cabbie in the very rare neon green colour and a Nissan Micra for 'er indoors!

Post Thanks / Like
    Sound advice E30.

... As it happens he's looking for advice on that too!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast