Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Autos in stop / start traffic?

Post Thanks / Like

Autos in stop / start traffic?

When in a long slow moving, stop start queue, with a manual you would go in and out of gear BUT

With an auto, is it kinder to keep going in / out of D/N or just hold it on the foot brake (I never use the hand brake)???????

Post Thanks / Like
    Just hold it on the footbrake if it is only for a minute or two.
    2006 XK Indigo Blue with Caramel seats and Sable carpets

3. Likes MarkFY liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Percentage View Post
    When in a long slow moving, stop start queue, with a manual you would go in and out of gear BUT

With an auto, is it kinder to keep going in / out of D/N or just hold it on the foot brake (I never use the hand brake)???????
    Personally I prefer to leave it in Drive and use the footbrake, if I'm at a junction/traffic lights/stop-start traffic.

I did look this up myself when I first got my X in Feb 2017, as I'd never driven an automatic before. From the articles I read, holding the car on the footbrake in Drive was potentially the best thing for the transmission.

One thing though, I'd suggest never consider going into Park when at a junction etc. If you were to be shunted from behind, then you'd do some serious damage to your gearbox... probably snap the parking pawl.
    Last edited by MarkFY; 18-03-19 at 12:43.
    X-Type Sport 2.5 V6 AWD Auto 2002MY 79K miles Platinum Cranberry leather sports seats.

www.xtype.uk

Retrofits: Climate Control (from manual ac), touch screen, LED interior, facelift multi-function steering wheel, bluetooth, voice, message centre, facelift center console/sliding arm rest, ACM, facelift door cards, powerfold mirrors, powerfold on lock, clear side repeaters, puddle lights, rear electric windows, 'JagDroid' Android, parking sensors, front/rear cameras, Nextbase Duo Dashcam

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, it is the long ...move few yards, stop....move a few yards........... stop etc queues that we get so many of these days.

My first auto hence the question.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Percentage View Post
    Thanks, it is the long ...move few yards, stop....move a few yards........... stop etc queues that we get so many of these days.

My first auto hence the question.
    There are and will be a multitude of views and opinions on this one.

I prefer not to unnecessarily switch the transmission from D to N. It's very happy to idle away in D.

I am more conscious of holding the car on the footbrake at traffic lights at night. If there isn't a car behind then I will always hold on footbrake, much prefer those brake lights to shine brightly! If a car comes up and stops behind me and the lights show no signs of changing then I will usually let the hand brake take the strain, and either leave in D or switch to N.

In stop/start queues, for short stops then the footbrake is my preferred choice. Longer stops then it'll have to be N and handbrake.
    X-Type Sport 2.5 V6 AWD Auto 2002MY 79K miles Platinum Cranberry leather sports seats.

www.xtype.uk

Retrofits: Climate Control (from manual ac), touch screen, LED interior, facelift multi-function steering wheel, bluetooth, voice, message centre, facelift center console/sliding arm rest, ACM, facelift door cards, powerfold mirrors, powerfold on lock, clear side repeaters, puddle lights, rear electric windows, 'JagDroid' Android, parking sensors, front/rear cameras, Nextbase Duo Dashcam

7. Likes RWD3M, iwvc, DrFutura liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I only put the stick in N at night when I'm dazzling the car behind, so I can take my foot off the brake.

Some cars disengage the drive clutch by themselves, while still in D, it's called "Stop-Neutral" in my old Volvo V70.

When you let up the brake pedal and press the throttle the clutch re-engaged smoothly and immediately.

9. Thanks RWD3M thanked for this post
    Likes RWD3M liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jim, Mark,

Wish there were more people like you!

Most annoying habit, poelple not using their handbrake that is.
    2017 XE Portfolio 180PS AWD in Santorini Black with climate pack (I don't scrape!) panoramic roof, privacy glass and 19" style 1015 wheels (that I'd happily swap for a nice set of 18" 5 spokes. Anyone?)

11. Thanks Jim_S-V6_2004 thanked for this post
    Likes piman, S-Type Owner liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RWD3M View Post
    Jim, Mark,

Most annoying habit, people not using their handbrake that is.
    Oh dear, I hardly ever use my handbrake ......The one on the XK8 is fiddly and easy to drive off with it still on - I only use it if parking on very steep slopes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Later cars auto-release the parking brake when you drive off, expecting you to leave the transmission in D, so why not leave in D and put on the handbrake? There doesn't seem to be any need to go to neutral as well.
    S-Type 3.0 Manual MY2001 in Pacific Blue with Cashmere Leather Sport Seats, Sunroof, Melbourne Alloys, Premium Sound plus some other stuff ... 55k miles.
    XKR 5.0 Speed Pack MY2011 in Polaris White with Ivory/Charcoal Leather, Nevis Alloys and R-Performance Interior plus some other stuff ... 17k miles.
    Hyundai Tucson 1.6T AWD MY2016 in White Sand. Basic, comfortable and surprisingly fast and competent ... 12k miles.
    FIAT Coupe MY1997 in Steel Grey with Tan Leather ... 55k miles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Of course if the traffic is slowly creeping along, just using a softer brake pedal pressure will prevent it stopping or turn the eco button off.
    64 Plate RSport 3.0D All Black, Ceramic coated, self healing front car wrap, 19" alloys

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast