Thread: Where is aspirator fan motor on RHD XF? Noisy - planning to DIY fix.

Post Thanks / Like

Where is aspirator fan motor on RHD XF? Noisy - planning to DIY fix.

I have a very loud buzz from behind the dash with the ignition on. In the years I've owned the car it's gone from noticeable only with audio off, to now audible with engine running and audio on low.
    From reading up / internet search I'm 95% certain it's the aspirator fan motor that needs cleaning / reseating / replacing.

But, I can't find it. Almost every forum or internet search I perform comes up with instructions on this fault for a different model, but they don't translate to my XF.

Does anyone know where it is please? Also my steering wheel is on the right, not sure if that would make a difference. The aircon filter is on the left in my car so presumably the motor is too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, I don't know if this allowed, but it might be of some help. Phil
    https://www.jaginfo.org/showthread.p...or-Disassembly
    Mods please remove if this link contravenes any forum rules.
    2008 XF Luxury 2.7D, Azure Blue/Dove Grey, Jaguar Voice, Mirror Pack, Winter Pack, DAB Radio, Keyless Entry, Owned from new.

3. Thanks BFG_ thanked for this post
    Likes BFG_ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks philayl1. That's a very useful write-up though it seems that is the main blower motor rather than the aspirator. The poster's noise was only with the CC on, and mine is noisy all the time.

Perhaps this is the one?
    https://www.jaginfo.org/showthread.p...ight=aspirator

Post Thanks / Like
    Behind the steering wheel on the dash is a small grill with 3 horizontal lines, the aspiratior fan is behind the grill.
    Jim.
    2012 XKR Black pack, Speed Pack, Aero pack, Rat pack. Past:-87'XJS 3.6L, 93'XJ40 3.2L gold, 95'XJ6 4.0L sport, 00'XJ8 3.2L sport, 2005 XK8 4.2L coupe, 2009 XK 5.0L Portfolio in that order and enjoyed all of 'em.

I do not offer advice, I only say what I would do with the set of circumstances presented. Your choice always.

Post Thanks / Like
    I previously did a write-up on this but it was lost in the server crash.

Attempt at repeat:
    I was able to make mine silent by removing the fan rotor, so although the temp and humidity sensors are still active, the fan is not pulling air over them.

On the facelift XF RHD model (UK, Australia, Japan, etc), the aspirator is behind the dash above the glovebox on the left of the car. It's not actually behind a grill near the steering column, that is only for LHD cars (USA, mainland Europe etc).
    Dismantle pics for RHD on another forum: https://www.jaginfo.org/showthread.p...umidity-sensor

The aspirator's job is separate from the main climate control thermostat. Although it contains a temp and humidity sensor, this is only to tell the cc to blast hot or cold when the inside of the car is at extremes. I.e. if the car's been sitting in the sun for hours, when you get in and press "Auto" on the CC, the CC will blast really hard based on the aspirator reading.
    There is only one aspirator per car. I don't know where the normal comfort thermostats are but they are separate (the aspirator actually powers down after you've been driving for a while)

The aspirator motor is well cushioned with silicone mounts, but can still become noisy. If you've ever had an aquarium you might notice so-called silent pump motors getting noisy over time. Apparently this is due to invisible cracks in the rotor throwing it out of balance. The aspirator motor is very similar to a fish pump in that the fan and rotor are made as a single piece.

I'm fussy about buzzing noises and want it completely inaudible at rest. I know it doesn't bother some people but for me I can't see the point of having a B&W sound option if the car isn't studio quiet at rest, and I'd rather do a little manual fettling of the heat + / - controls than put up with buzz.

My original intention was to see if I could improve the mounts or add soundproofing, so I stripped it out. I went further and stripped the aspirator itself, which just pries apart. It was clearly out of balance as I could feel vibration when it was running, so I knew it was toast and had to be replaced. Needing the car, I put it all back together again, planning to buy a replacement and repeat the process later.

I was wary, as many people post that a brand new one is also buzzy, so as an experiment I removed the fan / rotor from the aspirator unit and put it back in. Of course all the circuits will work, it's just there's nothing drawing air in from the cabin, and crucially, nothing spinning and nothing buzzing.

I revisited this thread to give an update on my findings (then finding it gone, rewrote the above. We've had 8degC days and 28Deg days in the month since I removed the rotor, and it has made absolutely no difference whatsoever to how the car CC operates. None. I surmise that the aspirator is only necessary if you use the Auto setting, which I never do, and then only during the first few minutes anyway, because it powers down.
    I've also tried it on auto and again I can't really see any difference at all.

One thing I can notice, is my dash is now utterly silent.