Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: XK conundrum - 4.2 or 5.0

Post Thanks / Like

XK conundrum - 4.2 or 5.0

Morning All
    First post so please treat me gently....
    A little history of how I come to be here - I have always been a car enthusiast and over the last 15 years have been in a position to indulge in some “toy” cars since my daily driver has always needed to be sensible. The last toy (Lotus Elise) went a couple of years back when my son started driving and 4 cars on the drive was full enough!
    However a change in circumstances means that I no longer need a “business” car, just something to commute in and enjoy at weekends. Given that both offspring now have their own cars, and lives (!) I reckon it’s time to have something interesting as my everyday car.
    Budget was set at c£10k - I could spend more, but less on the car means more for other things!
    Having toyed with the idea of a Boxster - I’ve never been a Porsche person - an X150 coupe is my ideal choice.
    Cue extensive research of buying guides/forums/etc
    Search started last month, and I narrowed it down to an 07 4.2. Good history, enthusiast owned for last 5 years, 65k miles, £11k. Made contact with garage who look after it and all good. Only downside is that it’s silver which I don’t find that inspiring...
    Then what happened? I discovered that early facelift 5.0 cars are available for c.£14k.....I’m not that bothered either way about the exterior but I do feel that the interior looks a lot more current and the extra equipment would be handy....and my research suggests they are a better car all round..?
    Found one I like (grey) - one owner from new and complete history - but I’m probably going to miss it as someone viewing it this weekend...so I’m now going full circle back to the 07 car.....which I reckon I can get for near to £10k.....but..should I hold out and wait for another 5.0 to appear.....

As you will have gathered I have entered the frustrating stage of the sourcing process....I guess I’m just looking for any views/suggestions etc that might help me re-focus!

Previous performance purchases were Westfield, Chimera, Elise, MX5, Elise and I know I experienced this same situation with those!

I apologise as I know lots of this has probably been covered before but hopefully some kind soul will be prepared to share their wisdom!!

TIA

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum Chrisbin, enjoy. The difference between the 4.2L and 5.0L is night and day, if you can find a good one in your price bracket then that would be my choice.

Which ever you go for, check that all the electrics work as they should and don’t be fobbed off with, “they all do that”.

Good luck with your search.
    Jim.
    2012 XKR Black pack, Speed Pack, Aero pack, Rat pack. Past:-87'XJS 3.6L, 93'XJ40 3.2L gold, 95'XJ6 4.0L sport, 00'XJ8 3.2L sport, 2005 XK8 4.2L coupe, 2009 XK 5.0L Portfolio in that order and enjoyed all of 'em.

I do not offer advice, I only say what I would do with the set of circumstances presented. Your choice always.

3. Thanks Chrisbin thanked for this post
    Likes Chrisbin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    For my two pence worth and not having driven a 5 litre I find the 4.2 XKR more than enough car for me.
    Realistically I'm now in the "retired" bracket so most of my trips are done with the roof down and cruising but I do enjoy a run up on to the moors now and then without the limiter sat next to me.
    Good luck in what ever you decide
    2007 Slate Grey 4.2 XK-R Convertible
    Jagwrangler one touch roof and rear windows mod. Rear spoiler antenna and boot lid amplifier upgrade. Fuse 19 switch installed discretely below dash/steering wheel. Red stuff brake pads. Replacement white "R" caliper decals.

5. Likes Jimbov8 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhyl46 View Post
    For my two pence worth and not having driven a 5 litre I find the 4.2 XKR more than enough car for me.
    Realistically I'm now in the "retired" bracket so most of my trips are done with the roof down and cruising but I do enjoy a run up on to the moors now and then without the limiter sat next to me.
    Good luck in what ever you decide
    Thanks for the input.
    From what I understand a 5.0 Na has similar performance to the 4.2R.... but to be fair I’m really not worried about the performance (must be getting old), it’s the interior look and reports of improved quality that interest me....but I’m still not convinced those are worth the extra outlay...

Post Thanks / Like
    For me 4.2 in terms of performance and economy is fine; I don't feel the need for a bigger engine or a fraction off 0-60.

So it comes down to looks. The later interiors do look a bit nicer with the chrome bits but there's not much else in it as far as I can see. Externally I like the 4.2 but I appreciate that's a personal thing. If I liked the look of the 5.0 better I'd buy that and bear the slight extra running cost.

The only thing I don't like about the performance, or rather driveability, of the 4.2 is that driving normally in 'D' it doesn't kick down to overtake as I want - you put your foot down and nothing happens. So to overtake safely you need to flip the paddles down one or even two gears. 'S' is just silly; it will make you go faster but it stays permanently one gear lower even when coasting; god knows what it does to the mpg. It's such a shock going from 'D' to 'DS' that I never use it to overtake as it feels it will put me in a hedge. And that's after owning 3 TVRs! Is 'S' in the 5.0 equally nuts?
    Last edited by simpo3; 30-03-19 at 13:02.

8. Thanks Chrisbin thanked for this post
    Likes MarkyM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by simpo3 View Post
    For me 4.2 in terms of performance and economy is fine; I don't feel the need for a bigger engine or a fraction off 0-60.

So it comes down to looks. The later interiors do look a bit nicer with the chrome bits but there's not much else in it as far as I can see. Externally I like the 4.2 but I appreciate that's a personal thing.

!
    That’s pretty much the point for me - I know that I don’t need a 5.0 for its performance, but their interiors just feel more modern. If it was a second car then I don’t think this would mean so much to me, but as I’m planning to use everyday it seems more important (rightly or wrongly...).
    But whether that’s enough to justify the premium is another thing!

Post Thanks / Like
    Look for one with the portfolio spec interior if you want the comfort. Even a 5.0L driven daily and sensibly can deliver decent economy.
    Jim.
    2012 XKR Black pack, Speed Pack, Aero pack, Rat pack. Past:-87'XJS 3.6L, 93'XJ40 3.2L gold, 95'XJ6 4.0L sport, 00'XJ8 3.2L sport, 2005 XK8 4.2L coupe, 2009 XK 5.0L Portfolio in that order and enjoyed all of 'em.

I do not offer advice, I only say what I would do with the set of circumstances presented. Your choice always.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbov8 View Post
    Look for one with the portfolio spec interior if you want the comfort. Even a 5.0L driven daily and sensibly can deliver decent economy.
    the one I’ve identified is a portfolio, “with all extras” too.....

12. Likes Jimbov8 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The later cars have some problem areas ironed out like the A/C duckbill, etc. However, these have probably also been fixed on the older cars by now.

If you are looking at the non-supercharged cars, the 5.0 will give you near 4.2 supercharged performance with 4.2 N/A fuel economy (if economy is an appropriate word for a heavy V8 ).

With it comes a stiffer suspension though. You might really want to compare if comfort comes before sportiness. Also, 20" wheels are not essential and even the standard 18" size looks OK while those tyres are significantly better priced. The 5.0 cars got bigger brakes, better active damping, etc, but for daily use, I don't expect that matters much.

The X150 in all forms was a well made car and are comparatively trouble-free.
    Last edited by Neilr; 30-03-19 at 14:48.
    S-Type 3.0 Manual MY2001 in Pacific Blue with Cashmere Leather Sport Seats, Sunroof, Melbourne Alloys, Premium Sound plus some other stuff ... 55k miles.
    XKR 5.0 Speed Pack MY2011 in Polaris White with Ivory/Charcoal Leather, Nevis Alloys and R-Performance Interior plus some other stuff ... 17k miles.
    Hyundai Tucson 1.6T AWD MY2016 in White Sand. Basic, comfortable and surprisingly fast and competent ... 12k miles.
    FIAT Coupe MY1997 in Steel Grey with Tan Leather ... 55k miles.

14. Thanks Chrisbin thanked for this post
    Likes Jimbov8 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    When I was buying I looked at both the 4.2 and the 5.0. I saw several, but none were exactly right for me, for differing reasons.
    When I saw the right one I simply knew I had to have it. It just happened to be a 4.2, but it was simply spot on in colour inside and out, utterly perfect condition, and very low (23,000) miles. I was never going to walk away without buying that car!
    Five years later it is still only 38,000 miles, still perfect condition, and nothing has gone wrong save for 2 brake lightbulbs and one indicator bulb, costing about 15 pounds between them!
    2006 XK Indigo Blue with Caramel seats and Sable carpets

16. Thanks MarkyM thanked for this post
    Likes Chrisbin, Jimbov8 liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast