Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Game changer

Post Thanks / Like

Game changer

Six hundred miles on a charge would appeal to most people.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-ne...miles-of-range
    2003 Jaguar XJ8 (X350) 4.2 Silver
    2006 Jaguar XK (X150) 4.2 Indigo Metallic

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Hayward View Post
    Six hundred miles on a charge would appeal to most people.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-ne...miles-of-range
    As long as they don't expect people to pay as much as £60,000 like the Tesla or I-Pace.
    "I know I'm a pessimist because my glass is always half empty...even when it's full".

2009 X-Type 2.2D Sovereign - Indigo Blue with Ivory Leather

3. Likes bertieboy9 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    No idea, whatever it is, it'll be too rich for me. Second hand, however...

Quote Originally Posted by Zero123 View Post
    As long as they don't expect people to pay as much as £60,000 like the Tesla or I-Pace.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello all,

maybe I'm in the minority but an electric vehicle has no appeal to me whatsoever. What is the attraction?

Alec
    2004 2.5 X Type Estate, MK 2 3.8 (Long term restoration), 2.5 P.I. Triumph saloon, 564 Hymer motorhome.

6. Likes Percentage liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gosh Alec, where does one start?

First off, let me say that for years I was with you 100%. Primarily because early generation EV's (and hybrids, which are a con) were ugly, had mediocre performance and extremely limited range. The performance and range were limited by the technology of the day but manufacturers had no excuses for making them ugly!

However, in recent years, the boffins are starting to overcome all of these drawbacks, you only have to look at the Tesla for performance and range and that gorgeous BMW i8 (and it really hurts to say that BTW!) for looks.

Aside from the environmental benefits (the magnitude of which I remain to be convinced of mind you) they will quieten the world down a bit and hopefully make our cities a little less whiffy!

I feel that very soon, possibly in my lifetime (I'm 5 we will see a wholesale move from traditional ICE powered vehicles to EV's. I've always advocated that when an EV can be charged to give a real world range of a round 450 - 500 miles in the time that it takes to pull in to a service station, have a bite of lunch, take a pee and read the newspaper, people will move over to them. Even as a lifelong petrol (diesel) head I think I would. Cost permitting of course.

Disclaimer: Before any of you get on you're high horse about anything I've written, it's just my opinion and has no foundation in fact whatsoever .

Happy Friday everyone!

Richard.
    2017 XE Portfolio 180PS AWD in Santorini Black with climate pack (I don't scrape!) panoramic roof, privacy glass and 19" style 1015 wheels (that I'd happily swap for a nice set of 18" 5 spokes. Anyone?)

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Richard,

thanks for the response. To put my feelings in perspective, let me say I would never buy a car with an automatic gearbox.
    I just like the driving experience of petrol, manual transmission cars. (I would never buy a diesel car either).

Environmentally, I appreciate that they seem to offer an improvement to air quality. I say seem as it is not as simple as that. There are many contributors to the quality of air and modern i.c. cars are very clean anyway.
    There is a myth that electric cars emit less or no CO2, nothing is further from the truth. I have not, obviously, done detailed calculations as I don't have the data nor the skill. But a power plant running at about 40 to 50% efficiency depending on type, transmission, distribution and conversion losses add up to a lot of CO2. I.c. cars are not great on efficiency either but there is no long and complicated chain from energy source to power output. Note that wind, solar and nuclear contribute nothing to the charging of these vehicles, they can't as they are already at maximum output, so the extra load must come from fossil fuelled generation (Plus a tiny bit of hydro, but it is negligible)

Alec
    2004 2.5 X Type Estate, MK 2 3.8 (Long term restoration), 2.5 P.I. Triumph saloon, 564 Hymer motorhome.

Post Thanks / Like
    The other trouble with hybrids or pure EV's is that the modern battery technology is still in its infancy, and you should be cautious buying used.
    I really like the Honda CR-Z, but i could never bring myself to buy a used one, for the fear of the battery failing.
    X-Type 2.0d Classic 04MY
    Well... 🎵 It's got a CD player! (Player player player player)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by piman View Post
    Hello Richard,

thanks for the response. To put my feelings in perspective, let me say I would never buy a car with an automatic gearbox.
    I just like the driving experience of petrol, manual transmission cars. (I would never buy a diesel car either).

Environmentally, I appreciate that they seem to offer an improvement to air quality. I say seem as it is not as simple as that. There are many contributors to the quality of air and modern i.c. cars are very clean anyway.
    There is a myth that electric cars emit less or no CO2, nothing is further from the truth. I have not, obviously, done detailed calculations as I don't have the data nor the skill. But a power plant running at about 40 to 50% efficiency depending on type, transmission, distribution and conversion losses add up to a lot of CO2. I.c. cars are not great on efficiency either but there is no long and complicated chain from energy source to power output. Note that wind, solar and nuclear contribute nothing to the charging of these vehicles, they can't as they are already at maximum output, so the extra load must come from fossil fuelled generation (Plus a tiny bit of hydro, but it is negligible)

Alec

Very much my view Alec, I certainly would not buy one, other that maybe as a city runabout / maids car, let alone pay a premium price for one.

The environmental benefits are minimal when you look at trucks, ships and vehicles in the rest of the world............To say nothing of the real problem Over population!

One worry that you did not mention and that I would have would be maintenance and reliability........The grease monkeys can barely cope with the electronic clutter on existing modern cars so I would have serious doubts about their ability with fully electric vehicles.
    Last edited by Percentage; 05-04-19 at 15:11.

11. Likes RWD3M liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Richard,

Alec
    Hi Alec,

I too enjoy the driving experience. The main reason that I also have such things as a GT6 and a Mini Cooper (a proper one, not a BMW) in the garage! I think you and I are a dying breed, youngsters these days just don't seem to get a kick from simply going out for a blast in something with a decent exhaust note A car to them is simply a means for getting from A to B, those who are even interested in even that!

As I mentioned, I too remain unconvinced on the environmental benefits EV's can bring but they can also bring some excitement (performance) to the equation. I don't think we're too different

Best Regards,

Richard.
    Last edited by RWD3M; 05-04-19 at 11:23.
    2017 XE Portfolio 180PS AWD in Santorini Black with climate pack (I don't scrape!) panoramic roof, privacy glass and 19" style 1015 wheels (that I'd happily swap for a nice set of 18" 5 spokes. Anyone?)

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Alec,

What, apart from being easy to maintain very quick and cheap to "fill up"? 😁

I think they're pretty cool. I appreciate they aren't everyone's cup of tea though. I still love the roar of a V8, but hybrid or electric is the way it is headed.

As use of them increases air quality in big cities (especially) should improve too.

Cheers
    Thomas

Hello all,

maybe I'm in the minority but an electric vehicle has no appeal to me whatsoever. What is the attraction?

Alec

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast