Thread: 20" Alloy needs a new home

Post Thanks / Like

20" Alloy needs a new home

Dear all

Having damaged one of my Kasuga wheels by running over a pothole to which I had it inspected at the first instance... To which no damage was visible..

As my tyre pressure monitoring system detected a loss of pressure the following 24hrs I rushed into my local tyre center to my horror they found a very slight crack on the inner rim..

Cutting a long story I had the wheel repaired at my own engineering outlet to our normal high standard but unfortunately really didn't want to keep it having already ordered and fitted a replacement from Jaguar.. and parting with a wonderful sum of money.. ��

I placed the wheel on eBay fully stating what had happened to it but unfortunately I should have realized that my once damaged alloy will probably be resold to a unexpected buyer as after checking the number of watchers most of them deal in used alloy wheels..

As I will only recommend that my offering is only used as a temporary spare only... I would rather give it away free to someone who wants a spare.... As I couldn't forgive myself if this was passed on to a unexpected buyer who wasn't told of it's history

Failing this I will bin it...

Anyone who wants it is welcome to collect it I'm in the Broadstairs area (Kent)

Postage will unfortunately cost but can be shipped if needed...

Regards

Frank
    Last edited by jag999; 14-04-19 at 17:45.
    Founder Of The Sea Safe System Campaign In 1992 - Safety at sea UK.

Proudly promoting maritime safety awareness within our amazing RNLI and Coastguard services.

http://maritime-association.co.uk/

Honored With An MBE (For Service To Maritime Safety)

Post Thanks / Like
    One of my wheels was losing air quite slowly just 2 weeks ago.
    I thought it was a nail in the tyre or a leaky valve.

I took it to the tyre centre and, yes, for me too, a cracked wheel on the inner rim.
    It cost £64 to have it sent away, welded, and the tyre put back on.
    2016 X351 XJ 3.0D

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sclayman View Post
    One of my wheels was losing air quite slowly just 2 weeks ago.
    I thought it was a nail in the tyre or a leaky valve.

I took it to the tyre centre and, yes, for me too, a cracked wheel on the inner rim.
    It cost £64 to have it sent away, welded, and the tyre put back on.
    There is a school of thought that although the weld is strong (if done well), the heat will have compromised the strength and brittleness of the metal surrounding the welded area.
    2010 XJ Portfolio running on lorry fuel. I know, Jag Diesel is just wrong!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBoy View Post
    There is a school of thought that although the weld is strong (if done well), the heat will have compromised the strength and brittleness of the metal surrounding the welded area.
    I quite agree the whole Alloy has to be heated to try and prevent a weakened area around the weld..

But having been sent a video of three separate experimental test results of damaged repaired alloys one distorted and two welded I have had it destroyed... As two of the wheels which had been welded just gave way.. !!!! The test which simulated road conditions with a few potholes added into the surface.

Both of the welded wheels just came apart leaving only the hub left - Very shocking to see. Both seemingly where weakened when sustained further pothole impacts...

Plus one of the failed alloys was also completely heated to aid the weld with the other just weld on a cold surface..

Well after seeing this I couldn't even give it away free for fear of handing over an lethal item...

So if you are unfortunate to crack one of your rims please please buy a new replacement... Ok it's going to run you approximately £655 (20" one)

How much would you price your own life or even worse a family member... Sorry to add this shocking tactic but it frightened me.

I wouldn't even trust a refurbished one as you would have no idea of it's history...
    Founder Of The Sea Safe System Campaign In 1992 - Safety at sea UK.

Proudly promoting maritime safety awareness within our amazing RNLI and Coastguard services.

http://maritime-association.co.uk/

Honored With An MBE (For Service To Maritime Safety)

5. Thanks mac_doctor, Villanova27 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It is a little bothersome that there are some chaps that will "repair" the unrepairable with no real thought for safety. I too got a new 20" Kasuga after I bent the old one as I was fortunate in that both the repairer I consulted was scrupulous, and the guys on here warned me against trying too hard.
    Chris. T.
    2000 XK8 4.0 Coupe
    2010 XJ SWB 3.0D Portfolio. With TVs. Lots of TVs.

7. Likes jag999 liked this post