Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2010 XK engine oil

Post Thanks / Like

2010 XK engine oil

The current Jaguar recommendation for engine oil in a 2011 XK is that it conforms to specification JLR 51.5122 and is 0W-20. As far as I can see there are only two mainstream-brand oils that comply with this -- Castrol Edge Professional E and Mobil 1 ESP -- although some resellers state that others such as Motul and Fuchs are also compliant. Jaguar's literature strongly implies that only the Castrol is fully compliant. Whether this is for genuine engineering reasons or merely the consequence of a marketing tie-up is unclear. However, it is difficult to obtain and remarkably expensive. Mobil 1 ESP 0W-20 is easier to find.

Curiously, neither the Castrol nor the Mobil web sites come up with recommendations when I enter the registration number of the XK. Both recognise the vehicle but refer you to a Jaguar dealer or their technical department!

All this strikes me as a good example of a marketing technique which used to be known in the computer world as FUD (Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt). To try and cut through it a little, is anyone using the Mobil product in a 2011 XK and does anyone know of a reliable UK source of the Castrol? Neither Broughton nor Opie currently stock it and it's currently unavailable on Amazon.
    John

01 XJ8 4.0
    09 X-type Sovereign 2.2d
    11 XK Portfolio 5.0

Post Thanks / Like
    Europarts sell Castrol edge 5/20 the original weight for the 5ltr. I get my oil from Broughton do you know when they are getting more of the 0/20 in

John

Post Thanks / Like
    You need Castrol professional edge 0/20 EC5 Broughtons have a 12ltr pack they will split if you phone them they always have for me.

John

Post Thanks / Like
    That's interesting -- when I spoke to them yesterday they said they had no stock and weren't sure when they were getting any. However, I see their web site is now showing a 12 x 1ltr pack as being available.
    John

01 XJ8 4.0
    09 X-type Sovereign 2.2d
    11 XK Portfolio 5.0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by M100 TWO View Post
    Europarts sell Castrol edge 5/20 the original weight for the 5ltr. I get my oil from Broughton do you know when they are getting more of the 0/20 in

John
    5W should be fine as the 0w and 5w are out side temp related if you live in a county that sees temps below -20 then 0w is needed but if you live in a country that only sees temps above -20 the 5w is ok to use
    S TYPE R 2003
    BMW M3 EVOLUTION 1998
    You can not beat me in a argument
    I am too stupid to know when I am beaten

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd call a dealer (if the service manager hasn't been replaced by 20-year-olds offering you exotic coffees and patisseries) or a good indy. Someone like Chiltern must use drumfulls of oil without any problems.

7. Likes MarkyM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The current applicable oil standard from JLR for the AJ133 5.0 V8 is STJLR.03.5006. According to JLR, the only oil which carries that Castrol Edge Professional E C5 0W-20. Opie Oils have this in stock now. STJLR.51.5122 is superceded by the above.
    Current: 2009 XKR 5.0
    Previous: 2008 XKR 4.2

I take photos of cars! Find me on Facebook, Instagram and Flickr.

Post Thanks / Like
    Inchcape Jaguar Southampton serviced my 5.0 last week and used Shell Helix 0W 20. I asked them specifically if this was OK as the manual is explicit and they said yes. Let’s see what happens!

Post Thanks / Like
    If you're paying a Jaguar main dealer for a service then I think it's a bit poor that they're not using an oil specifically stated as approved for that engine by the original manufacturer. I'd talk to the service manager, have them check the Service Compliance Notifications (specifically JLRP00119 dated February 201 relating to oil where it gives the correct spec of oil and lists the approved brand and product. If you still have any warranty of any sort and ended up having to make a claim for an engine fault and it transpired the dealer had not used the correct oil then that may impact your chances of getting car sorted under warranty.

The SCN document is available here - https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...cification.pdf
    Current: 2009 XKR 5.0
    Previous: 2008 XKR 4.2

I take photos of cars! Find me on Facebook, Instagram and Flickr.

11. Likes MarkyM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 8bit View Post
    The current applicable oil standard from JLR for the AJ133 5.0 V8 is STJLR.03.5006. According to JLR, the only oil which carries that Castrol Edge Professional E C5 0W-20. Opie Oils have this in stock now. STJLR.51.5122 is superceded by the above.
    Thank you; that clears it up nicely. Both Broughton and Opie have it in stock and Broughton tell me they'll happily split a pack of 12 to supply eight.

Strange that the Castrol web-site oil selector doesn't directly reference Edge Professional E C5 0W-20 for the XK.
    John

01 XJ8 4.0
    09 X-type Sovereign 2.2d
    11 XK Portfolio 5.0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast