Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S Type Rear Subframe

Post Thanks / Like

S Type Rear Subframe

Hi guys

Looking at getting an STR sometime soon, just a case of finding the right one. I have found a nice example however rear subframe and mountings on the vehicle have been advised on the last 2 MOTs as corroded. I have trawled the internet trying to find this answer:

Are all S Type rear subframes from 2002-2007 the same, or are there differences between diesels/petrols, or the R?

Cheers in advance

Post Thanks / Like
    I cant say for sure but I have just removed a 2004 3.0 model S type subframe so you could look and compare?

https://postimg.cc/gallery/1ncvyyca0/

Post Thanks / Like
    Cheers Jimbo, compared a couple on Ebay and all look the same. Got a part # from a 2.7d and its 4R83-5D042-AB, that the same as your 3.0? Cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    I couldn't tell you at the mo..if there is a part number on the subframe it's unlikely I will be able to read it.

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=MrCiff;1173676]Hi guys

Looking at getting an STR sometime soon, just a case of finding the right one. I have found a nice example however rear subframe and mountings on the vehicle have been advised on the last 2 MOTs as corroded.Cheers in advance[/QUOTE)

It's ok thinking of replacing corroded subframe! WHAT ABOUT THE MOUNTINGS. Bad news methinks?
    SE05 JAG stype, 2. 7 DIESEL,zircon/barley,sat nav2012,xenons,winter pack,rear park assist,
    Retrofitted > cdc,bluetooth phone module, pairs 5phones, jaguar voice, Led cabin lites.chrome grille &light surrounds, power points +leds in boot, ,DRLs, boot spoiler, Dash cam front/rear, Folding mirrors on double lock, Intergrated Reversing camera on sat nav screen, Webasto heater manually selectable, Half wood st/wheel,burr walnut interior, dash clock, 90,000 mlies umbrella.

Post Thanks / Like
    It depends if they mean chassis mountings or rubber mountings. If the chassis has rotted away that's bad but if it is the rubber mounts then just press some new ones in..

Post Thanks / Like
    Cheers for the reply guys.
    Thinking of leaving it, it's an Ebay jobby and I really cant be bothered to go and have a look at it. Previous 2 MOTs look like this:

Expiry date
    21 March 2020
    Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):
    Rear Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement both sides (5.3.4 (a) (i))
    Rear Subframe mounting prescribed area is corroded but not considered excessive both sides (5.3.6 (a) (i))
    Rear Sub-frame pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement both sides (5.3.4 (a) (i))

Expiry date
    20 July 2019
    Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):
    Nearside and Offside rear subframe brackets corroding
    Nearside and Offside rear subframe mounting points corroding
    Offside front brake pipe corroding
    Rear subframe corroding
    Covers fitted to Nearside and Offside outer sills
    Covers fitted to Nearside and Offside floorpans
    Offside steering rack gaiter deteriorated

Think I'll leave it as I'm thinking that sounds more like chassis mountings!

Post Thanks / Like
    Well the auction finished for £3357, other than the corrosion I think it would have made a very decent motor!

Post Thanks / Like
    You can repair the mounting points easily, any good welding shop can do it properly.

Same with the subframes.

And as you've seen, it puts lots of people off so the price is low.

Next one!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes was slightly gutted, 2 owners, full jag main dealer service history (from being in the trade I know this doesn't actually mean squat, it's just been serviced at the correct intervals using OEM parts) and with a semi decent mileage.

My part of the trade however never extended to corrosion of high stress components, so was sceptical on that part. On to the next, I spy one that has had a mountain of work done to it but is in restricted performance mode, knock sensors. I dont mind faffing around with the awkward removal of components and would do the valley pipe whilst there

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast