Thread: Propshaft Vibration

Post Thanks / Like

Propshaft Vibration

Hi, I had a slight vibration from propshaft at 50 mph, I sent propshaft off to Driveline in Morecambe uk, to be balanced, the have added a weight to the front half of prop near centre bearing, but now it has a very bad vibration from 45mph, has anyone else had a prop balanced & if so, did it solve the problem. Going to try a second hand prop & see how that goes.

I have heard of jaguar doing something with balancing nuts, maybe main stealer only for that though.

Many thanks,

Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    There is a feature on the SDD for the drive shaft balancing in the diagnostics tools. You may have this done by a stealer or a good independent.

3. Thanks Chris45uk thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chris I've been misled before long ago by an unbalanced rear tyre which had a bubble on it on the inside, due to a daft tyre fitter who hadn't checked it properly but assured me they were all ok.

So... Get your wheels balanced.

A soft shock absorber will transfer the oscillation into vibrations similar to prop shaft.

If it's not a tyre then mark the shaft so you don't lose track of where it was, and try turning the shaft to the next bolt hole at the diff, and again if you need to.

Hopefully it will reduce or eliminate the vibration, but they normally only vibrate when the universal joints are worn.

What was the cost of balancing?

5. Likes Chris45uk liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    £60 to balance, I have checked wheel balance, it is definitely the propshaft, it only had a very slight vibration, after balance it was really bad, i have a donor car & swapped prop today & all seems ok now.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a very slight vibration at the mo, brand new tyres fitted, and it was there before i had the tyres done, I have however, spotted that the nearside driveshaft isn't fixed into the diff properly, as in I can move the whole universal joint up and down by a good half inch, still can't figure out why it hasn't exploded yet, so it's getting the gearbox replaced this weekend. Can't risk the aftermath while towing my caravan or worse still, 2 race bikes.

8. Likes Chris45uk liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's possibly the universal joint.

But I forgot to.mention that they also have rubber "doughnut" flexible couplers which perish. Those are the most likely.cause.

That's a good price Chris.

10. Likes Chris45uk liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    If the propshaft has been off the car it MUST be put back on in the same position, same bolts, same holes. A dab of Tipex on the mating flanges ensure it goes back in the same place.
    That's what I was always told when I did a bit of spannering for a living.
    A very cynical grumpy old man
    Late 2004 2.7D auto
    Connoisseur of Fine Ales
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - What a ride, where are the wimmin?"

12. Likes Chris45uk liked this post