Thread: Bumper damage -grrr!

Post Thanks / Like

Bumper damage -grrr!

Went to visit our grandaughter today at her flat, when we left found some A*** had reversed into the bumper of my XF which had been parked outside. A guy told me he thought it was a black Range Rover that had done it but no reg no and no note on the windscreen so no chance of finding out who !! Damage could have been worse a few surface scratches which I think I can get out, but several chips in the paint where the bumper flexed and a couple of blisters in the plastic which look unsightly. Not intending to use the insurance due to my excess and it will be a claim for a very small amount of damage. Thinking of contacting one of the smart repairers who do bumpers as the damage is fairly minimal - I'm not keen to have the whole bumper resprayed if poss as they never seem to get a complete match particularly as it's metalic red. Anyone had any experience of these types of repairs?
    Jaguar XF Luxury 3.0 V6 petrol, in Claret Red with barley leather, Venus alloys

previously Jaguar X Type 2.1 V6. Gone but not forgotton

Post Thanks / Like
    Friend of mine in Huntingdon (No good to you I know) does smart repairs, and he gets excellent results, even on brand new cars that have covered less than the first service. Do some research on who you use tho, but should get a perfect result if they're any good at it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to read of your damage - I feel your pain.

I used Chips Away to repair my bumper on my X-Type a lot of years ago (12-14 ish years ago!), and was very happy with the result. My car had the quartz metallic paint, so not the easiest to match, but they did so perfectly. More recently, my neighbours daughter used them to repair some damage to her front bumper on her dark grey metallic VW Golf, and again the results were first rate.
    ex - 2002 X-Type 2.5 V6; 1995 XJ Sport 3.2; 1998 Mercedes C180 Elegance; VW Passat 2.0TDI (140); Audi A4 Avant 2.0TDI; Nissan Qashqai 1.5dCi; Current - 2007 XJ 4.2 V8 Sovereign, and occasionally an Electric Wheelchair!

It wasn't me! A big boy done it and ran away.

4. Thanks J.J.X.T thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by J.J.X.T View Post
    Anyone had any experience of these types of repairs?
    There's a bumper repair guy in Letchworth, Hertfordshire where I live I used once when the back of mine got rear-ended.

Really good job - was mightily impressed.

Regards

TMW
    Black 2001 3.0 V6 SE Auto
    Lots of miles covered - many more still to do...

Post Thanks / Like
    Well spent some time this week contacting Smart repairers to sort out the damage to my bumper. The damage is relatively minor and confined to the nearside corner of the rear bumper - a few places where the paint has come off a reverse dent - plastic sticks out, a small crease and a crack about an inch long.

This has been my first experience of dealing with Smart repairers and their differing responses have been interesting. Some just do everything via websites and emails - you fill in a form send them some photos of the damage and they send you a quote - it seems a lot of these people repair the car at your home but would mean they are painting the car in the open air - can't say I am very keen on that idea - and not sure how they fully assess the damage. Chips Away seem to operate like this although the guy I spoke to eventually said he couldn't do it as he was bothered about the crack in the bumper and thought there was a bracket behind it - I checked myself and there wasn't but he said he couldn't weld it and said he thought he would never get it right - not very encouraging!

There's a smart repair company called Xpress Centres who operate on the car parks of Tesco Extra stores in what look like a mobile repair booth. The quote is online and if you go ahead you have to take the car to a Tesco Extra store carpark for the repair which they reckon can be done in a few hours. Their quote was fairly expensive and the nearest repairer would have been a 60 mile round trip. I went to a couple of local smart repairers with premises - one seemed to be making quite a lot of it - reckoned the bumper would need to come off and he would need the car for 2/3 days and was the most expensive. The other one was more measured in his response - told me he would weld the crack and reshape the dent crease and then need to repaint about half the bumper. he assured me he could match it ok and would need the car for a day or possibly overnight quote was reasonable although not the cheapest. He claims he does quite a lot of work for the trade including the local JLR dealer Listers and his google reviews were good - gurantees his work for a year. So this where I will be going after Easter and hoping he does a good job particularly matching the paint -fingers crossed!
    Jaguar XF Luxury 3.0 V6 petrol, in Claret Red with barley leather, Venus alloys

previously Jaguar X Type 2.1 V6. Gone but not forgotton