Thread: Is this xj40 a good buy?

Post Thanks / Like

Is this xj40 a good buy?

Hi!
    I might have the opportunity to buy a Jaguar Xj40 that has been stored for about 15 years..
    Its an early Sovereign, with the digital dashboard, and had 270 000 km on the counter..

As mentioned, it has not been used for 15 years, but have occasionally been started, and always stored inside.

Is this something to use time and money on, or is it a dead buy?
    I heard a few things about the digital dash, and also rust problems on these models. Are there more to look out for?

I guess all the fluids, brakes, tires, spark plugs, filters etc need to be changed, so there will be some investment done with it.

And do you know what price this is worth in this condition?

2. Likes C16RKC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not a fan of the digital dash models myself, I avoided them when I was younger and buying these cars first time around. I did not take to the 2.9 engine at all, and I even found the 3.6 a little underpowered. I was actually pretty disappointed with the performance of the 4.0 too, but I always thought it best of the bunch. They also come with the special indicator stalks that do not stay in place. I found them very difficult to get used to - but you do after a while. I suppose since the cars are now becoming modern classics, this is less important, because all models are pretty underpowered by todays standards, and you'll not be using them as daily drivers.

Whether the car is worth buying is down to the individual, and the car. Value wise, it depends on what it might be worth fully restored (I am guessing the value in Norway will be different to here in the UK?). I tend to take the "fully restored value", then estimate the cost of all the work that needs down. Subtract one from the other and you have what you might pay for the car (although I tend to then factor in 20% for "the unknown". If you end up with a negative figure then the car is probably past saving....

On the other hand, if the car is cheap enough, you might want to take a risk, and work on it slowly. I always love the idea of any XJ40's being saved, as they are one of my favourite Jaguar models. To me the Series 3 XJ is the absolute peak of what a Jaguar is to me, but the XJ40 comes a close second!

Best of luck whatever you decide!
    Regards
    Chris Clark
    2001 XJ Daimler Super V8 (Car for 'best')
    2009 Mercedes CL500 V8 (Daily workhorse)
    2004 BMW 730d (Being lined up for sale)
    2007 Land Rover Range Rover Sport 2.7TDi (The Wife's baby hauler)

Previous cars: '91 Peugeot 405 1.9GRi, '93 BMW 520i, '92 XJ 4.0 Sov, '94 XJ 4.0 Sov, '00 XJ 4.0 Sov, '00 Daimler V8, '03 XJ Super V8, '94 Renault Clio(!), '99 Merc S430L V8, '08 XJ Sov Diesel LWB, '03 Merc S320CDi, '07 XJ Sov Diesel LWB

www.autosanity.com

4. Thanks chrissern thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh you might get a good idea on value in Norway from this site?

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/
    Regards
    Chris Clark

Previous cars: '91 Peugeot 405 1.9GRi, '93 BMW 520i, '92 XJ 4.0 Sov, '94 XJ 4.0 Sov, '00 XJ 4.0 Sov, '00 Daimler V8, '03 XJ Super V8, '94 Renault Clio(!), '99 Merc S430L V8, '08 XJ Sov Diesel LWB, '03 Merc S320CDi, '07 XJ Sov Diesel LWB

www.autosanity.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the reply!
    I forgot to say, it is the 3.6 liter, with automatic gearbox, and it is a Sovereign.
    My guess is that i need to use at least 5000 kroner (ca 500 pound) on the basics. Then 2-3000 more in tires. So 8000 kroner at least (800 pounds in total+car cost).
    Then i guess that i will be able to get ca 3000 pounds for it.

But then, my guess is that there will be more expensive costs on it to get it registrered and get the plates on it.
    Are there any typical expensive/advanced things to look out for? Is 20% unknown-factor enough?
    I am able to fix most of the small issues by myself, but for instance change of motor/transmission/differential etc is a bit out of my league.

If I buy it, it will not be a rush, it will sit in my garage and i will fix it when I have the time.

7. Likes C16RKC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like a nice project then!

Hmmm... known issues on an XJ40... that's going to take some remembering!

I seem to remember the differential bearings were prone to wearing out on cars with 150K+ miles, although they could be replaced. Shocks/bushes will be worn on an old/tired car. The engine and gearbox was pretty reliable in my experience. This is a heavy car and they eat brakes.

I do remember the body on these cars being a pain to keep rust free! The bumpers are easily damaged, and rust away from the inside. The rear wings rust at the arches, and under body where the exhausts exit. I also had rust around the windscreen, and front arches too. The panel behind the arch where it met the sill rusted pretty badly and causes the bottom of the arches to bow out badly. In short these cars are better than the S2 and S3 cars, but they still rust pretty badly.

The Dip-dim headlights on Sovereign models cloud up, but can be cleaned up if you have time and patience.

This is a good resource:

http://www.jag-lovers.org/modern/xj40prob.htm
    Regards
    Chris Clark

www.autosanity.com