Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2.7 Diesel - poo! Hard to start, lumpy idle....

Post Thanks / Like

2.7 Diesel - poo! Hard to start, lumpy idle....

Hi all, have recently purchased a '55 plate 2.7 diesel Sport, auto, with 75k on the clock.
    Been many years since i had a vehicle which runs on the devils fuel, as I have just had to part with my beloved 4.2 V8.
    Last couple of days, it has been a sod to start and when it does, it idles very lumpy until warm (feels like a very bad misfire) - put the code reader on this morning and got P0670 Glow plug module control circuit 1/2 (no DTC status indicated). Screen 2 gives U0164 Lost communication with heating ventilation and air conditioning control module.
    Once restarted after a couple of minutes, runs fine - can anyone point me in the right direction please?
    Is the glow-plug module gettable from fleabay or will it be a new one, and is the U0164 anything to worry about?
    As stated, car runs ok and the heater works - eventually.......!

all help gratefully received

Cheers
    Grumpy

Time flies like an arrow,
    Fruit flies like a banana....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kjohnr2001 View Post
    Hi all, have recently purchased a '55 plate 2.7 diesel Sport, auto, with 75k on the clock.
    Been many years since i had a vehicle which runs on the devils fuel, as I have just had to part with my beloved 4.2 V8.
    Last couple of days, it has been a sod to start and when it does, it idles very lumpy until warm (feels like a very bad misfire) - put the code reader on this morning and got P0670 Glow plug module control circuit 1/2 (no DTC status indicated). Screen 2 gives U0164 Lost communication with heating ventilation and air conditioning control module.
    Once restarted after a couple of minutes, runs fine - can anyone point me in the right direction please?
    Is the glow-plug module gettable from fleabay or will it be a new one, and is the U0164 anything to worry about?

Cheers
    Even without glowing at all it shouldnt run that bad when cold. Unless you're in one of the colder countries, that is.

Personally i think you have a different issue. Injector related, for example.

What kind of code reader did you use? If its not a Jaguar-specific reader you wont get the proper codes out and issues like that will stay hidden from you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Alex - Essex isn't that cold even now!
    I use the iCarSoft reader which has been (so far) invaluable in reading issues on the V8's....
    The other problem is that I took the car to my local Indie on Saturday for a quick diagnostic, but got there and the car started and ran fine, as usually happens with technology, so he couldn't read anything.
    Will keep looking, cheers for the quick reply though
    Grumpy

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers
    Join the club.
    Mine has done exactly as you've described for years now, It's been on the Jaguar diagnostic machine many many times................NO FAULTS. It's had 2 (count em.........TWO sets of glow plugs, and a module) and still, every winter it's the same. Jaguar won't/can't respond so now, after all these years, I just forget about it. It always starts, it runs perfectly AND I know I'm not alone with the problem, It's VERY common amongst 2.7D owners. Give the glow plugs at least 10 seconds before cranking the engine, it helps.
    Stop worrying and enjoy the car
    Keep the battery healthy.
    A very cynical grumpy old man
    Late 2004 2.7D auto
    Connoisseur of Fine Ales
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - What a ride, where are the wimmin?"

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Victor - how do you deal with the initial lumpy running?
    Do you warm it up then restart?
    Grumpy

Post Thanks / Like
    No, just drive off, it'll run sweet as a nut when on the accelerator.
    A very cynical grumpy old man
    Late 2004 2.7D auto
    Connoisseur of Fine Ales
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - What a ride, where are the wimmin?"

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, will give it a go - thanks for the advice....
    Grumpy

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd still recommend checking the live data on the Injector Offsets - if you have the i930 iCarSoft anyways its a small job.

They need to ideally be between 800 and 1200 when running idle with a warm engine.

9. Likes Andy K liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    OK - will check which reader I have and have another look, cheers
    Grumpy

Post Thanks / Like
    OK - will check which reader I have and have another look, cheers
    If its not the i930, it will not show you the Jag specific codes. In case of Injector problems, at least on mine, it gave the codes with the i930, but not on any universal device.

Injector Imbalance or something like that was the error, with a code.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast