Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: First Jaguar

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Smetwick UK
    Posts
    5
    Post Thanks / Like

    First Jaguar

    Hi All

    New to Jaguar, purchased my first Jaguar 4 weeks ago a XF 3.0D Luxury, never owned a diesal before and it's 30 years since i've had an auto and how things have moved on with auto's since my last experience.

    Come to Jaguar after my Volvo S80 got rear ended 6 weeks ago and expecting the insurance to right it off due to it's age and a new bumper being req'd so I thought I'd treat myself with the Jag and guess what they repaired the Volvo and now the wifes got a very nice S80 and her Honda Jazz is up for sale.

    Sorry for the rambling intro but a few questions for my plans for the coming bank holiday weekend on jobs to do to the XF

    1 - The Chrome window trim and chrome trim in general is a bit tarnished and needs polishing, is it actually chrome or a plastic coated chrome type and will a metal polish be suitable?

    2 - The black door pillars are swirled up as they are prone to do on most cars as very soft, planning to attack the with sonax perfect finish and my rotary polisher or has anybody got any other combinations that they have had success with?

    3 - Then a question for the future and the winter and my last experience with a rear wheel drive BMW 7 series, has anybody tried Michelin crossclimate tyres on the XF and are they any good in the snow etc as I don't really want the hassle of winter tyres and changing them twice a year?

    Thanks all, all advice/responses will be appreciated.

    Cheers

    Bruce

  2. Likes C16RKC liked this post
  3. #2
    Senior Member C16RKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Wisbech, Cambridgeshire
    Posts
    2,714
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to Jaguar ownership!

    1) The window surrounds are polished aluminium. They seem to be lacquered, but moisture seems to get in and ruin the finish. The only cure is replacement... or live with it. I have also heard of some people painting them. Bright silver or Black would be the obvious choices I guess. I think news sets are a good few hundred pounds!

    2) I like Sonax mylself - Meguiars Ultimate Compound has also always been a good all rounder for me.

    3) I'm not one to know much about tyres, so I'll leave this to others.
    Regards
    Chris Clark
    2001 XJ Daimler Super V8 (Car for 'best')
    2009 Mercedes CL500 V8 (Daily workhorse)
    2004 BMW 730d (Being lined up for sale)
    2007 Land Rover Range Rover Sport 2.7TDi (The Wife's baby hauler)

    Previous cars: '91 Peugeot 405 1.9GRi, '93 BMW 520i, '92 XJ 4.0 Sov, '94 XJ 4.0 Sov, '00 XJ 4.0 Sov, '00 Daimler V8, '03 XJ Super V8, '94 Renault Clio(!), '99 Merc S430L V8, '08 XJ Sov Diesel LWB, '03 Merc S320CDi, '07 XJ Sov Diesel LWB

    www.autosanity.com

  4. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Smetwick UK
    Posts
    5
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Chris

    1) So my Meguiars NXT metal polish on the window surrounds may actually make things worse by cutting through the laquer on the trim and leaving a patchy finish, i'll have to rethink that one.

    2) I'll see how the sonax goes with a finishing pad and try Megs 205 finishing polish if that's no good.

    Thanks again, keep the replies coming please as no experience with Jags at all.

  5. #4
    Senior Member OzJagXFS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Adelaide South Australia
    Posts
    971
    Post Thanks / Like
    The window trims are anodised aluminium and yes they tarnish, I tried all sorts of things on my old XFS with no success.
    The black window pillars on the XFR came up nicely with Meg's Ultimate Compound but you need to use lots of elbow grease!
    2014 F-Type S coupe, Lunar Grey, red seats and nearly all the options.
    The dearly departed - 2010 XFS and 2010 XFR.

  6. Likes C16RKC liked this post
  7. #5
    Senior Member C16RKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Wisbech, Cambridgeshire
    Posts
    2,714
    Post Thanks / Like
    I used Autoglym on mine years ago (all be it on an XJ, not an XF) which is much more aggressive. I seemed to work through the thin lacquer coating but it was incredibly hard work. I gave up after restoring just a small section.

    I'd always planned to replace the surrounds with brand new ones, but sold the car before I got around to it. Funny enough the next owner did replace them; and he's on this forum so I get to see my car being cared for.
    Regards
    Chris Clark
    2001 XJ Daimler Super V8 (Car for 'best')
    2009 Mercedes CL500 V8 (Daily workhorse)
    2004 BMW 730d (Being lined up for sale)
    2007 Land Rover Range Rover Sport 2.7TDi (The Wife's baby hauler)

    Previous cars: '91 Peugeot 405 1.9GRi, '93 BMW 520i, '92 XJ 4.0 Sov, '94 XJ 4.0 Sov, '00 XJ 4.0 Sov, '00 Daimler V8, '03 XJ Super V8, '94 Renault Clio(!), '99 Merc S430L V8, '08 XJ Sov Diesel LWB, '03 Merc S320CDi, '07 XJ Sov Diesel LWB

    www.autosanity.com

  8. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Smetwick UK
    Posts
    5
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OzJagXFS View Post
    The window trims are anodised aluminium and yes they tarnish, I tried all sorts of things on my old XFS with no success.
    The black window pillars on the XFR came up nicely with Meg's Ultimate Compound but you need to use lots of elbow grease!
    Thanks Oz

    Did anything you tried on the window trims make things worse or just no improvement as I'd like to try my my Megs NXT metal polish just to see unless it's likely to make it worse of coarse.

    Never been one for elbow grease and hence my rotary polisher's coming out.

    Cheers Bruce
    Last edited by BruceXF; 15-04-19 at 10:22.

  9. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Smetwick UK
    Posts
    5
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C16RKC View Post
    I used Autoglym on mine years ago (all be it on an XJ, not an XF) which is much more aggressive. I seemed to work through the thin lacquer coating but it was incredibly hard work. I gave up after restoring just a small section.

    I'd always planned to replace the surrounds with brand new ones, but sold the car before I got around to it. Funny enough the next owner did replace them; and he's on this forum so I get to see my car being cared for.
    I'll give it a go over the weekend and post some before and after pics if I can work out how to do it

  10. Likes C16RKC liked this post
  11. #8
    Senior Member jberks's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    2,173
    Post Thanks / Like
    I use finishing compound with my orbital on the black B pillar surrounds - comes up a treat and be aware that the chrome isn't supposed to be traditional shiny but more of a matt finish.

    Tyres - I hear a lot about winter tyres and snow etc. Ok, 2 years ago we had the beast from the east and it did stop me crossing the pennines to get home, but that wasn't my 255 Dunlop summer tyres but rather that they'd closed the roads and it was gridlock. Whether I could move or not (I didn't have a problem) was irrelevant and I left my car in Manchester over the weekend and took the train home. That was one weekend. Aside from that, I crossed over the pennines weekly without issue.
    This year we've had 0 days of snow and ice.
    I've never been stuck in the Jag nor any of my Mercs. Sure I've not been daft and attempted a cross country (I turned down Google Map's offer of a route around the M62 that day) but who really needs to?
    Yes, technically, winter tyres will give better braking etc in the cold, but we should all be driving more carefully in the cold anyway and the difference isn't that vast if you're being sensible.
    I once went to a Christmas fair. For some reason they chose to park everyone on a muddy inclined field. I saw lots of cars with their wheels spinning and even 4x4s struggling to get up, so 4 up in my RWD merc I knew I had no chance. Still, popped it into winter mode, gave it just enough throttle to keep the wheels vaguely turning but no more and off I went, consciously keeping the revs as low as I could. Figured I'd stop when I couldn't get any higher. Traction light kept flickering as we burbled past the wheel spinners, past the 4x4's and eventually parked by the door right at the top. Point is, I hear a lot about RWD autos being crap in slipper conditions and I reply, sure, they're not as good as some, (our panda is a mountain goat) but so much depends on how you drive them. Be sensible and they'll still get you there.

    So, I'd say if you're a city dweller like most of us, there really is no need. Of course if you live in a mountainous rural area, the answer is different.
    2012 XF 3.0D S Premium Luxury

  12. #9
    Senior Member OzJagXFS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Adelaide South Australia
    Posts
    971
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceXF View Post
    Thanks Oz

    Did anything you tried on the window trims make things worse or just no improvement as I'd like to try my my Megs NXT metal polish just to see unless it's likely to make it worse of coarse.

    Never been one for elbow grease and hence my rotary polisher's coming out.

    Cheers Bruce

    Yep one of the many things I tried was Megs NXT Metal Polish but it made no difference. No better but no worse either.
    2014 F-Type S coupe, Lunar Grey, red seats and nearly all the options.
    The dearly departed - 2010 XFS and 2010 XFR.

  13. Likes C16RKC liked this post
  14. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Smetwick UK
    Posts
    5
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jberks View Post
    I use finishing compound with my orbital on the black B pillar surrounds - comes up a treat and be aware that the chrome isn't supposed to be traditional shiny but more of a matt finish.

    Tyres - I hear a lot about winter tyres and snow etc. Ok, 2 years ago we had the beast from the east and it did stop me crossing the pennines to get home, but that wasn't my 255 Dunlop summer tyres but rather that they'd closed the roads and it was gridlock. Whether I could move or not (I didn't have a problem) was irrelevant and I left my car in Manchester over the weekend and took the train home. That was one weekend. Aside from that, I crossed over the pennines weekly without issue.
    This year we've had 0 days of snow and ice.
    I've never been stuck in the Jag nor any of my Mercs. Sure I've not been daft and attempted a cross country (I turned down Google Map's offer of a route around the M62 that day) but who really needs to?
    Yes, technically, winter tyres will give better braking etc in the cold, but we should all be driving more carefully in the cold anyway and the difference isn't that vast if you're being sensible.
    I once went to a Christmas fair. For some reason they chose to park everyone on a muddy inclined field. I saw lots of cars with their wheels spinning and even 4x4s struggling to get up, so 4 up in my RWD merc I knew I had no chance. Still, popped it into winter mode, gave it just enough throttle to keep the wheels vaguely turning but no more and off I went, consciously keeping the revs as low as I could. Figured I'd stop when I couldn't get any higher. Traction light kept flickering as we burbled past the wheel spinners, past the 4x4's and eventually parked by the door right at the top. Point is, I hear a lot about RWD autos being crap in slipper conditions and I reply, sure, they're not as good as some, (our panda is a mountain goat) but so much depends on how you drive them. Be sensible and they'll still get you there.

    So, I'd say if you're a city dweller like most of us, there really is no need. Of course if you live in a mountainous rural area, the answer is different.
    Hi and thanks for the in depth reply re the tyres and point taken I'm a city dweller, my 40 mile round trip to work 5 days a week is good A roads and motorway against the traffic flow so no jams as such and roads gritted etc, my problem is the last 500 yards into work is on an estate and the office car park where there not gritted together with a very dodgy back and walking more than 50 yards is a problem so if I do get stuck I'm in trouble/it's a problem.

    I was wondering if anybody has an XF with Michelin crossclimates on and how do they perform in snow as opposed to true winter tyres?

    Cheers Bruce

  15. Likes C16RKC liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •