Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Green shower early warning.

Post Thanks / Like

Green shower early warning.

I just noticed a stain on the wire mesh on the "dome light" today, of course my first thought was "green shower".

You can barely see the stain on the right side of the mesh.

So I pulled off the unit to have a look inside, looks like some dried up hydraulic fluid but no drips.

My guess is that it will only be a matter of time before I get the full shower so will order up new hoses immediately.

Any suggestions on the best place to buy in the UK.

P.S. Thanks to Frank on his great hose replacement write up that I have just read through.
    1979 450SL - 2002 4.2 XK8

2. Thanks frankc thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I used the hoses from Chris Porter at Cabriolet Roof Hoses, speak to Chris, a very helpful guy.

i had fair warning of the green shower, a slight teardrop hanging off the intruder detecter on the overhead console and put it down to it had just been in the extract booth at the paint shop. 2 weeks after when I dropped the top. All hell broke loose.

The latch hoses blew off the fitting. I found Franks write up invaluable.

bear in mind the latch mechanism can also be at fault.
    good luck.
    99 XKR Convertible, Sapphire Blue

4. Thanks frankc thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank's, I bought a set yesterday from them, looks like I will be doing the job this weekend just as its warm enough to have the top down.

6. Likes frankc liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    its a monster of a job - you need to gut pretty-much the entire interior apart from the dash casing.

I got mine from a company in Devon - not too badly prices at about £55 each from memory

Post Thanks / Like
    I followed Franks thread and managed it over a long weekend, outside and between rain showers.

I didn't take out the whole interior, I left the centre console and drivers seat in. It is a bit difficult fishing the hoses under the carpet from the centre to the left in front of where the passenger seat normally sits, but is doable. I don't know how much time I saved, because I have never taken the CC out.

One thing I would recommend is to cap the old hoses and colour code them as Frank did, before pulling the hoses out.
    No matter how much you blow through the fluid, some will dribble out as you are pulling them through.
    99 XKR Convertible, Sapphire Blue

Post Thanks / Like
    The hoses arrived this morning, great service from "Cabriolet Roof Hoses". It was a long job, started at 10 this morning and just finished at 7 this evening.

One additional bit that Frank could add to his "how to" is;

When pulling the cables through the bulkhead into the boot, first raise the roof, I steadily pulled on it till it raised (take care as fluid will be pushed out of the hoses when doing this), this gives access to two more cable ties that finally free off the hoses.

10. Likes Gaaz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks RD. Can you clarify something. When you say "raise the roof" do you mean close? I had no problems with the roof open, except it kept raining on me. Perhaps your hose wiring routing is different than mine? Must admit you have me puzzled slightly. I accessed all the hose cable ties no problem, except for the single one behind the speaker. That was a real pain in the subwoofer.

Well done for doing it though. Not bad time either.
    2003 Zircon Blue XKR Convertible.
    It's in the detail.
    [SIZE=4]

For a list of most topics written in this 'Story' Please click here.

Cannot see any photos? PHOTOBUCKET FIX please CLICK HERE FOR SOLUTION

Post Thanks / Like
    Can anyone who has done this explain why it is necessary to follow the path the original hoses took? It seems like a huge amount of work to achieve something quite straightforward.

Could the hoses not be routed under the car or inside the car along the transmission tunnel and across?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerja View Post
    Can anyone who has done this explain why it is necessary to follow the path the original hoses took? It seems like a huge amount of work to achieve something quite straightforward.

Could the hoses not be routed under the car or inside the car along the transmission tunnel and across?
    You could be a nightmare if you did. They say a picture is worth a thousand words......... hang on whilst I dig one out for you. The wiring gets worse further down too.

Basically there is a whole mess of wires in the centre console. I spent 15 mins just tying up loose bundles of wires with cable ties. Then if you make it all the way to the front you would have to contend with the problem of routing it from the front centre to the side. Not only that if you did manage to squeeze it in there no doubt something would break loose and you would probably only find out when you have put it all back in. Also the hoses themselves are sized to go that route. Imagine fitting it down the centre only to find is 1/2" too short at the other end.

Any other questions dont hesitate to ask.
    2003 Zircon Blue XKR Convertible.
    It's in the detail.
    [SIZE=4]

For a list of most topics written in this 'Story' Please click here.

Cannot see any photos? PHOTOBUCKET FIX please CLICK HERE FOR SOLUTION

14. Likes Stagnite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frankc View Post
    You could be a nightmare if you did. They say a picture is worth a thousand words......... hang on whilst I dig one out for you. The wiring gets worse further down too.

Basically there is a whole mess of wires in the centre console. I spent 15 mins just tying up loose bundles of wires with cable ties. Then if you make it all the way to the front you would have to contend with the problem of routing it from the front centre to the side. Not only that if you did manage to squeeze it in there no doubt something would break loose and you would probably only find out when you have put it all back in. Also the hoses themselves are sized to go that route. Imagine fitting it down the centre only to find is 1/2" too short at the other end.

Any other questions dont hesitate to ask.
    From what I have seen there is plenty of room to run the hoses down the side of the transmission tunnel (down the side of the centre console) then around behind the glove box to the A-pillar. Obviously you would have to measure the length of hose needed and get longer ones made up if necessary, but all that seems very minor compared to removing what seems like half of the interior to do it.

There must be lots of other people like me, whose hoses aren't leaking, so don't feel the need to go to a huge amount of work as a precaution, but would change the hoses if it was relatively straightforward.

16. Thanks frankc thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast