Thread: Engine Rebuild

Post Thanks / Like

Engine Rebuild

HI

I have a 96 4.0L K8.

After a one off starting problem the engine will now only turn about 340 degrees of a turn and back again. It moves freely between this, but then there is something hitting something and stopping. It was turning fine, and this happened when cold on the starter motor. So, what ever has gone wrong, the engine hasnt been cooked. I've taken off one of the cam covers and the chains look fine and in place, at least on one side.

I've spoken to a couple of local garages and no one wants to touch it in case its a worst case. I dont have the cash for worst case, so considering a few different things.

I've seen a few engines for sale that look like they have come straight out of a breaking car, and wondering if anyone has anything thoughts? Is it worth persisting to find a garage or enthusiast that can pop the engine out and take a proper look? Anything else I should look at?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like a stuck valve to me or the chain has jumped a sprocket.

Roger
    HEY I THOUGHT I HAD RETIRED, Ex Auto Electrician
    2006 X Type 2.2d SE Manual Estate. Zircon Blue Champagne/Mocca, F/R Parking sensors, ,Auto Lights, Auto Wipers, Headlight Washers, Sat Nav 2012 update, 17 in Wheels, 120K Mods:- Electric Autofold Mirrors on Locking
    Simple Autofold Mirrors on Locking,http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthrea...irrors+locking
    UPDATE YOUR SIGNATURE http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=91945

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rchiv View Post
    Sounds like a stuck valve to me or the chain has jumped a sprocket.

Roger
    I removed the cam cover on the drivers side and the chain appeared to be in place and turning. Or at least it is going through an almost full turn on the crank.

If it is a stuck piston, any idea on how to free it without stripping the whole engine?

Post Thanks / Like
    I did not say a piston. If one of the valves has stuck open then the piston would hit the valve but to be honest if you can get the engine to turn 340% then I would assume that a stuck valve would show before that as the pistons travel twice on rotation.
    However if you have a broken valve spring that could cause it. Remove the other cam cover and check that side.

Roger
    HEY I THOUGHT I HAD RETIRED, Ex Auto Electrician
    2006 X Type 2.2d SE Manual Estate. Zircon Blue Champagne/Mocca, F/R Parking sensors, ,Auto Lights, Auto Wipers, Headlight Washers, Sat Nav 2012 update, 17 in Wheels, 120K Mods:- Electric Autofold Mirrors on Locking
    Simple Autofold Mirrors on Locking,http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthrea...irrors+locking
    UPDATE YOUR SIGNATURE http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=91945

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry Roger, I read valve but had pistons on my mind from another conversation.
    I looked at the passenger side, but the bolt nearest the cabin looks like a nightmare to remove. My socket wouldnt fit in the space. I'll need to figure something out and get in there.
    Thanks, I will figure out.

6. Likes rchiv liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello named Bat,

I also think it's a valve, you have a fifty fifty chance its on the bank on which you have removed the cover. Rotate the engine looking for a valve that is not moving when you turn the engine. alternatively look for a slack cam follower.

Alec
    2004 2.5 X Type Estate, MK 2 3.8 (Long term restoration), 2.5 P.I. Triumph saloon, 564 Hymer motorhome.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you ever stripped an engine down? I'm wondering how much can be stripped while it is still in the car or if the engine needs to come out?