Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A penny saved is a penny earned - Benjamin Franklin

Post Thanks / Like

A penny saved is a penny earned - Benjamin Franklin

Well it's that time of year again, checking finances and restructuring any monthly agreements, something I probably do on a yearly basis

As Benjamin Franklin said, a penny saved is a penny earned....

Well today, I earned £1253.28, not bad for an hours work

The starting point was renewing my mobile phone contracts, I got 2 new phones and added a new tablet for Mrs C and SAVED £51.13 per month, so £613.56 over the year, nice start

Then followed various calls to British Gas, BT, EE broadband and Sky

These gave up modest savings for exactly the same cover as follows £17.40, £8.00, £11.41 and £16.50 respectively, a total for the month of £53.31 and over the year £639.72

All in for an hour on the phone a total saving over the year of £1253.28
    Not to be sniffed at.....

I sold my old phones for £200.00 so they're gone, all good!

Car insurance next month, so that'll be the next thing to shop around on, as always

Anyone else always try to negotiate the best deal and or re negotiate the next year or so to keep on top of things?

Jim
    Last edited by JimC64; 18-04-19 at 14:08.
    My_XJ_X351_ownership_thread

My_XJ_X358_ownership_thread

MY2016 ( 65 ) XJ X351 3.0d Portfolio LWB, Black, London Tan leather interior, 20" Orona alloys, picnic tables and rear multimedia
    MY2009 ( 58 ) X type 2.2d Sport Premium, Heated seats, Front & Rear park assist, Sat Nav, 18" Proteus alloys, tinted rear windows, Heko wind deflectors

2. Likes C16RKC, coling, Mike S liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I do try,Jimmie,but I fear that my negotiating skills are somewhat lacking compared to yours!

I did try to reduce my landline/broadband costs 15 months back,and ended up with an outfit called Metcom Telecom or similar,a right bunch of gunslingers who tied me into a two year contract,then completely ignored their side of the deal and tried to overcharge me from day one....
    After cancelling my DD,I offered them a cheque payment for the contracted price,ATM,after 15 months,I'm now being billed according to their quoted rates and paying via bank transfer on the due day,even if this falls on a Bank Holiday!
    Over the 15 months,they have supplied just 3 correct bills......
    2000 S Type manual(now sold and replaced with a Transit Connect!) BMW E30 cabbie in the very rare neon green colour and a Nissan Micra for 'er indoors!

4. Thanks JimC64 thanked for this post
    Likes JimC64, Super350 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by E30MW View Post
    I do try,Jimmie,but I fear that my negotiating skills are somewhat lacking compared to yours!

I did try to reduce my landline/broadband costs 15 months back,and ended up with an outfit called Metcom Telecom or similar,a right bunch of gunslingers who tied me into a two year contract,then completely ignored their side of the deal and tried to overcharge me from day one....
    After cancelling my DD,I offered them a cheque payment for the contracted price,ATM,after 15 months,I'm now being billed according to their quoted rates and paying via bank transfer on the due day,even if this falls on a Bank Holiday!
    Over the 15 months,they have supplied just 3 correct bills......
    Sorry to hear E30MW, changing can be a real PITA

I'm lucky, I've had a go and threatened to go elsewhere and gave examples of where is available and what could potentially be saved, sometimes just a pot shot guess to be honest, sometimes not

They've either matched or reduced without much hassle rather than lose a long time customer.

The added benefit I suppose is I retain the good service and get a lower price

This Metcom outfit sound like a right lot

Jim

MY2016 ( 65 ) XJ X351 3.0d Portfolio LWB, Black, London Tan leather interior, 20" Orona alloys, picnic tables and rear multimedia
    MY2009 ( 58 ) X type 2.2d Sport Premium, Heated seats, Front & Rear park assist, Sat Nav, 18" Proteus alloys, tinted rear windows, Heko wind deflectors

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JimC64 View Post

This Metcom outfit sound like a right lot

Jim
    It has been a royal pain.....

Their call centre,allegedly in Maidenhead,appears to be staffed by those folk that have English as a second or even third language....so every call has been 'difficult'!

However,the contract ends in December and i have learnt yet another lesson..the hard way...but I've learnt!
    2000 S Type manual(now sold and replaced with a Transit Connect!) BMW E30 cabbie in the very rare neon green colour and a Nissan Micra for 'er indoors!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JimC64 View Post
    Well it's that time of year again, checking finances and restructuring any monthly agreements, something I probably do on a yearly basis

As Benjamin Franklin said, a penny saved is a penny earned....

Well today, I earned £1253.28, not bad for an hours work

The starting point was renewing my mobile phone contracts, I got 2 new phones and added a new tablet for Mrs C and SAVED £51.13 per month, so £613.56 over the year, nice start

Then followed various calls to British Gas, BT, EE broadband and Sky

These gave up modest savings for exactly the same cover as follows £17.40, £8.00, £11.41 and £16.50 respectively, a total for the month of £53.31 and over the year £639.72

All in for an hour on the phone a total saving over the year of £1253.28
    Not to be sniffed at.....

I sold my old phones for £200.00 so they're gone, all good!

Car insurance next month, so that'll be the next thing to shop around on, as always

Anyone else always try to negotiate the best deal and or re negotiate the next year or so to keep on top of things?

Jim
    A man after my own heart. Cannot say I do everything every year but I do like to keep an eye on things.

A month ago I phoned around to find the cheapest oil I could for our central heating. Turns out I was better, counter intuitive, buying two lots of 500 litres of fuel oil from separate companies. Sure enough the guy turns up. Sticks in 500. Next day my next 500 turns up.............. same guy, same lorry, same logo on the side but they operate on behalf of two different companies. Did save over £96 though.

Switched my broadband over to John Lewis. £52 a month saving. Plus a £50 John Lewis voucher and no setup fees.
    Went to cancel sky. Long story short £28 a month saving.
    Electricity. £40+ a month saving.
    And the list goes on..........

As for insurance even though I have been using the same company, Classic Line, for the last 3 years each year I have managed to get a small reduction in the insurance cost. The secret is NEVER automatically renew and be prepared to move companies if they do not give you a better deal. I really like Classic Line but if they penalize you for loyalty I have not qualms about seeking a better deal for myself.

True Story.

I worked in a charity shop not too long ago. Woman at counter was a penny short. I waited for it. She said to me.. "your not going to quibble about a penny are you? You can't be that mean." I told her every penny counts and that all the staff in the shop work for free. She begrudgingly handed over a note. I gave her the change. She counted it. Yep I had given her a penny short. Now it was her penny missing she did not like it. It was in my hand still. I handed it over to her with a smile. I wonder if she learned her lesson?
    2003 Zircon Blue XKR Convertible.
    It's in the detail.
    [SIZE=4]

For a list of most topics written in this 'Story' Please click here.

Cannot see any photos? PHOTOBUCKET FIX please CLICK HERE FOR SOLUTION

8. Thanks JimC64 thanked for this post
    Likes JimC64 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lol can't fault you Frank, liked the true story and have one similar myself

I was at McDonalds drive through with my wife some years ago ( her car - not mine lol ) and we ordered, came to £9.98 and so I handed over a £10 note

Now before I go any further I should add, I'm a bit of a joker, but on occasion say something *jokingly" BUT with a straight face and wait to see what reaction I'll get. The guy behind the counter nonchalantly states that they have no change, it's only £0.2p after all and goes about his work.
    I call him back and say whoah there.....It might only be 2p but it's mine, you have it and I want it.
    He looks confused, unsure what to do next

To make matters worse my wife is in the background behind me ( waving her arms and laughing ) mouthing it's ok, he's only kidding
    The guy proceeds to smile and then laugh....
    I say, ( with a straight face ) Is this a joke, do you find it funny, get my money!

At this point he becomes embarrassed and even more confused, I then smile and laugh and say, it's ok I am only messing with you
    >>>>Relief
    lol

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    As I said before I worked in a charity shop. Sometimes you get a bit bored and its not good when I get bored. I got a pound coin and glued it beneath the glass top counter. Also glued 20p just by the till on top, well away from where we put down stuff or put change.

It amused me all morning when people put their money on the counter and said the £1 was thier's or people tried to sneakily pick it up, I watched them in the reflection in the shop window. A few tried in vein to pick up the 20p or again they put their money with the 20p hoping I would count it in. Small things amuse small minds.........
    2003 Zircon Blue XKR Convertible.
    It's in the detail.
    [SIZE=4]

For a list of most topics written in this 'Story' Please click here.

Cannot see any photos? PHOTOBUCKET FIX please CLICK HERE FOR SOLUTION

11. Thanks JimC64 thanked for this post
    Likes JimC64, rtcosic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Again Frank, can't fault you lol

Jim

13. Thanks frankc thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah I did all the switching when I moved house last year.

British Gas to bulb - saving £26 a month, I have a £50 voucher if you switch to bulb too if anyone is interested.
    Virgin Media renewal - £19 a month saved and £40 off first month too.
    Admiral to Direct Line - £530 saved on car insurance renewal
    mobile phone contract renewal - £7 a month saved

All adds up!
    Current Car:
    2017 XE R-Sport 25t 250Ps 18MY.

Previous Cars:
    2000 S-Type 3.0L SE Auto
    2004 X-Type 3.0L AWD SE Auto estate.
    2007 XK x150 4.2L Coupe

Resident Super Moderator.
    V6 X-Type Oil Sump Replacement Guide

15. Thanks JimC64 thanked for this post
    Likes JimC64, frankc liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My daughter works in McDonald's earning some money whilst she is studying so that we don't have to contribute to her cost of living. We pay for her private university fees.
    The other night she was working behind the counter when a large group of people came in. She took their order and when she turned her back to them. At that moment she felt something hit her back and a warm liquid running down

Her first reaction was that she had been stabbed and it was blood, whilst her supervisor thought that it was acid. Once everything had calmed down it was found to be beer. However my daughter was very badly shocked and sent home.

All of the staff were communicating the event on the social media to different restaurants and one them received a message from a group of his friends with a picture showing them commuting offence.

This information has been passed to the police and they most likely going to prosecute the perpetrator for assault.

McDonald's is not the nicest of places to work and some of the staff are not the world's brightest but at least they are doing something to earn money and not relying on their parents or the state.

17. Likes frankc liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast