Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Garages and their blasted windy guns...

Post Thanks / Like

Garages and their blasted windy guns...

I helped my mate with MS on Saturday to sort his brakes out, I did one side to show him how, then he tackled the front nearside wheel. Lets leave it at that because when he came to put the wheel back on he noticed a lot of play, so I had a quick look, the disc had been catching the outside of the carrier, he told me his ABS light would occasionally flash so we decided to park it up, get the bits together and tackle it today, a nice steady hub off/wheel bearing change being worst case.

Well, he has to take his meds at 09:00, then he's sometimes a bit wobbly until his body deals with the injector pump bit, so I thought I'd get it ready to go. Popped the centre cap off, put my 32mm socket and very huge 3/4 drive tommy bar on to loosen the but and it when I let go of the tommy bar it fell to the floor...

So I took a closer look and found the actual nut was loose. Finger tight even, and about 4 turns down the thread of the drive shaft.

So. Obviously we didn't get a hub, thinking it would be the bearing, and if I'm honest the bearing wasn't noisy, and I was a bit surprised that it had worn so quickly but I do recall that when I owned the car 4 years ago I had a local garage change both front wheel bearings as I was trying to find a drumming noise (turned out to be the tyres) and was much too busy with work to do it myself. It's also had a clutch.

It's the reason I have trust issues with garages.. I just know that they ran this nut up with the Windy gun because I've seen them using them all the time, and I ask specifically what they torqued the bolts up to usually. In fact if I'm honest I usually check anything that is done anyway. For whatever reason I didn't check this one...

I torqued the centre nut up to the "factory spec" using my 3/4 drive torque wrench, and there's no play whatsoever. Fastest wheel bearing "change" I've ever done, but I've told him we really need to get another hub because it's probably been running on that and wearing it away...

I've seen tyre fitters wind wheels on with windy guns and then "check" with a torque wrench, and I've told them to loosen the wheels and do it the right way... This has just confirmed to me that garages simply cannot be trusted and unless you ask them very pointed questions regarding how they have done the job, and get the right answers, it pays to check everything.
    2001 3.0 SE Auto, Satnav, winter pack. Dark Blue, all the toys.
    2004 3.0 Sovereign Estate. Winter pack. Fixed. For Sale.
    2005 Estate X type 2.2 Sport.
    2000 V8 3.2 XJ8 LWB. "Prom" car. Lovely. Should sell this one too really...
    2005 "AllyCat", 3.0 XJ6 SE.
    2000 S type 4.0 V8. Latest toy.
    VFR800A and a VFR 800F

Still beating cancer. Trevor 2, Cancer 0.

Sure I took the Red pill....

2. Likes rchiv liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes I know what you mean. I only use the windy gun to remove the wheel nuts etc but only use it to spin the nuts back leaving them loose to finish with the torque wrench. My local tyre fitters do the same but like you I check them after a few miles for my own peace of mind.

Roger
    HEY I THOUGHT I HAD RETIRED, Ex Auto Electrician
    2006 X Type 2.2d SE Manual Estate. Zircon Blue Champagne/Mocca, F/R Parking sensors, ,Auto Lights, Auto Wipers, Headlight Washers, Sat Nav 2012 update, 17 in Wheels, 120K Mods:- Electric Autofold Mirrors on Locking
    Simple Autofold Mirrors on Locking,http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthrea...irrors+locking
    UPDATE YOUR SIGNATURE http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=91945

Post Thanks / Like
    Im so paranoid now about wheels being over tightened with air guns that I take one wheel in at a time , get the tyre changed and refit the wheel myself. Have had some horror stories due to over tightening and jacking cars up on the wrong jacking points.

Dev

2.0D X TYPE

Post Thanks / Like
    I was helping a friend to change the tyres on an Astra that he had bought for his wife. I thought it would be an easy job. Put the air gun on to remove the bolts and there was a lot of noise but no movement. So started to use an T bar with a two foot extension bar. Still no movement.

It took a six foot long piece of scaffolding and a 110 kgs (me hanging in the air) to shift the bolts.

After 3 hours of swearing and sweating we managed to get the wheels off.

I then went and bought a new set of wheel bolts before we replaced the wheels.

Turned out that the last owner worked in a lorry workshop and must have used the air gun for the lorry wheels.

6. Likes rchiv liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I take it your friend sorted out the problem that he had with insurance Trevor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ducmon View Post
    I was helping a friend to change the tyres on an Astra that he had bought for his wife. I thought it would be an easy job. Put the air gun on to remove the bolts and there was a lot of noise but no movement. So started to use an T bar with a two foot extension bar. Still no movement.

It took a six foot long piece of scaffolding and a 110 kgs (me hanging in the air) to shift the bolts.

After 3 hours of swearing and sweating we managed to get the wheels off.

I then went and bought a new set of wheel bolts before we replaced the wheels.

Turned out that the last owner worked in a lorry workshop and must have used the air gun for the lorry wheels.
    At that pressure you were lucky it had not damaged the wheels. I assume they were steel.

Roger
    HEY I THOUGHT I HAD RETIRED, Ex Auto Electrician
    2006 X Type 2.2d SE Manual Estate. Zircon Blue Champagne/Mocca, F/R Parking sensors, ,Auto Lights, Auto Wipers, Headlight Washers, Sat Nav 2012 update, 17 in Wheels, 120K Mods:- Electric Autofold Mirrors on Locking
    Simple Autofold Mirrors on Locking,http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthrea...irrors+locking
    UPDATE YOUR SIGNATURE http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=91945

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes they were steel. We wanted to change to alloy wheels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Ducmon,

metalurgically speaking you already have alloy wheels, they are an alloy of iron.

Alec
    2004 2.5 X Type Estate, MK 2 3.8 (Long term restoration), 2.5 P.I. Triumph saloon, 564 Hymer motorhome.

Post Thanks / Like
    Server's me right having been a smartass in the past that my mistake has been clarified. I bow myself to you Alec. 😂

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Ducmon,

it's a term universally used (even by insurance companies whose adherence to the letter in descriptions, actions etc is well known) but is an irritant to my nature. I am not getting at you, but the phrasing of your post was such I couldn't help myself

Alec
    2004 2.5 X Type Estate, MK 2 3.8 (Long term restoration), 2.5 P.I. Triumph saloon, 564 Hymer motorhome.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast