Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: BLOG : Jaguar STR - Dr C K Smith - CK51REF

Post Thanks / Like

BLOG : Jaguar STR - Dr C K Smith - CK51REF

I thought it'd be an idea (& hopefully informative) to start a blog on my new entry into the s-type world.

The start - for about 18 months I have been looking at finding a fast 4-seater (I own a number of 2-seater cars but want the flexibility of carrying more than one passenger) … so I have been gradually whittling down my list to a Top Six. Last week I came across a 2002 Black STR with average-low mileage, 1-lady owner, full Jaguar FSH. Some minor haggling and it was mine, my transport collection company was despatched and the car was delivered yesterday to be assessed.

First Impressions
    :
    Overall very, very good
    Bodywork : Very minor lacquer lift above one headlamp, small non-original area of paintwork on NSR - these will be addressed next month)
    Mechanical : Excellent, possibly a sports exhaust fitted
    Interior : As new

The plan is to give it a more detailed inspection over the coming month (as I am away refereeing) and make up a list of wants / needs / to do

Any pointers more than welcomed as I am on a steep learning curve with this model …

Company Review : http://northwestcartransport.co.uk/ Jaguar S-Type STR collected from Bristol and delivered to Lancashire on-time and as agreed - Highly Recommended
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jaguar STR 2002.jpg  
    Last edited by Dr C K Smith; 05-05-19 at 05:13.

2. Likes S-Type Owner, Panthro, C16RKC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome back!

😎

4. Likes Dr C K Smith, S-Type Owner liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Correct Rear Number Plate

First job for me to arrange was the removal of the oblong rear number plate and replace it with, in my opinion, the far better correctly formed one. I needed a plate anyway as this was a number I had on retention and obviously not the one that the car came with. I looked around and found https://www.showplatesdirect.com/ who can supply both the pre and facelift rear versions. I used this company as I also wanted to have a 'slogan' below the plate (in the future I will get a rear plate with the original supplying dealer below the number) … so first job done, cost £25

Company Review : www.showplatesdirect.com S-Type Rear number plate supplied as requested in 24 hours - highly recommended
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails plate.JPG  
    Last edited by Dr C K Smith; 04-05-19 at 18:38.

Post Thanks / Like

STR Alloys - Zeus, Vulcan and Barcelona

The car came with the correct STR Zeus 18-inch alloy wheels for a 2002 STR - the front rims are 8J whereas the rears are 9.5J (XR8 43331 & XR8 43332) … but I looked around and found that from 2004 the car came with Vulcan 18-inch alloys (XR8 31514 & XR8 31515) - I believe that also from 2004 there was an option to fit Barcelona 19-inch alloys (XR8 53029 & XR8 51963).

My intention is to acquire all 3 sets of wheels to give me options (& also a dedicated set for winter use).

With that in mind I bought a set of Barcelona (or so I was led to believe) … whereas in fact I had 4 x 8J … so I will now be looking for 2 x 9.5J and selling on the extra 8J's I have.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Alloy wheels.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Oil Change - Castrol Edge - Jaguar STR

Although there was a FSH with this car, I do like to start with a clean (& known) base line - so I thought it'd get an oil change … reading around there seems to be a variety of opinions as to what to use - I'm thinking of Castrol Edge 0w-30 … thoughts? Anything else to change at the same time

Vehicle Component Volumes : Capacity 6.3 litre, Filter 0.3 litre
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jaguar STR Engine Oil.jpg  
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2002 Jaguar STR (S-Type R)
    1965 Jaguar E-Type 4.2 FHC
    Variety of Triumph TR7's & TR8's

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks really sweet, liking it. Will look superb with the 19s, I think they'll balance the car out better. I've got the 18" sports on mine and I'm contemplating do I want an extra inch?

Yeah, I'm doing the same with my S-Type 2.7D 2006 (101k miles). I remapped it straight away which basically knackered the Torque Converter which was on way out anyway. So, like yourself I like to know my baseline; replaced engine oil, oil filter, slapped K&N air filter and now it's having it's gearbox put back in after a full flush and drain.

If I was you, I'd check/change the gearbox oil and put the new sump and correct fluid's in. Check for tiny gold particles (mine was clear) in the oil (you can jack up and drain a little off just to check although you'll see better when you drain it all).

Also, check the sills and catch any rust before it eats awat, mine have had replacement sills, however on closer inspection they've not been done to the highest quality when I bought car (they were replaced in January 2019 for an MOT), and I think I'll get them done and properly protected. Check all the arms, bushs etc as well and if I was you any bushes just replace with Polly Bushes as rubber is a waste of time, it's what I'm doing. Also, get under the arch and make sure the front arches are rust free... if you can feel anything from behind, I'd sand them down and just prime and prime them with rust inhibiter as all arches just seem to go.

Always fancied the R but I'll be honest with the mileage I do each day would cost a fortune. Yours is lovely, like that interior be interesting to see how you go.

9. Likes Dr C K Smith liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Engine oil should be 5w30.

Wouldn't change it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr C K Smith View Post
    Although there was a FSH with this car, I do like to start with a clean (& known) base line - so I thought it'd get an oil change … reading around there seems to be a variety of opinions as to what to use - I'm thinking of Castrol Edge 0w-30 … thoughts? Anything else to change at the same time

Vehicle Component Volumes : Capacity 6.3 litre, Filter 0.3 litre
    If you change the oil viscosity it will effect the variable valve timing because on the later engines like yours it varies with the oil pressure. On the earlier 4.0 it was an on - off affair but not on yours it is constantly changing to achieve the best valve timing and performance.

It is not recommended to do this. We had a long debate about this and came to the conclusion that It is detrimental to the engines. Stay with the oils that are recommended by Jaguar for the climatic conditions for the region where you live.

In Britain this should be 5-30

12. Thanks Dr C K Smith thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Makes sense (I am here to take advice & listen) - so, suggested viscosity is 5W-30 (although the car may drift occasionally to Italy it will mainly be in UK) … next the thorny subject of type... Castrol Magnatec, Castrol Edge, Mobil 1, Shell Helix Ultra … ignoring price, any particular brand that will benefit the car more?
    Last edited by Dr C K Smith; 08-05-19 at 14:50.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2002 Jaguar STR (S-Type R)
    1965 Jaguar E-Type 4.2 FHC
    Variety of Triumph TR7's & TR8's

14. Likes Pugheaven1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you look in your handbook there is a specification number. I would not use a full synthetic oil but that is my preverence I prefer a good quality oil. Which I change every year even though I don't do the milage.

In my opinion oil is cheap.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast