Thread: LOOKING FOR Diesel S type

Post Thanks / Like

Talking LOOKING FOR Diesel S type

Hello chaps, I finally had to part with my 1999 3.0 s type. I'm really keen to replace it with a diesel. Any colour but black! No rust. Full service history. Reasonable mileage, auto, cruise control and a tow bar. (I'm easily pleased....) Anything out there - I live on the West coast of Scotland but I'm prepared to travel for the right jag.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi and welcome to the forum
    I hope you find the right one.

Roger
    HEY I THOUGHT I HAD RETIRED, Ex Auto Electrician
    2006 X Type 2.2d SE Manual Estate. Zircon Blue Champagne/Mocca, F/R Parking sensors, ,Auto Lights, Auto Wipers, Headlight Washers, Sat Nav 2012 update, 17 in Wheels, 120K Mods:- Electric Autofold Mirrors on Locking
    Simple Autofold Mirrors on Locking,http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthrea...irrors+locking
    UPDATE YOUR SIGNATURE http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=91945

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=rchiv;1179109]Hi and welcome to the forum
    I hope you find the right one.

Thanks Roger - I hope so too.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd very seriously consider if you want the diesel. My 2004 that I owned in about 2007-2009 averaged 32 to the gallon and had plenty of expensive diesel related faults as the miles racked up. Given this engines reputation for grenading without warning, and petrol-esque fuel economy, you're far better off with a 3.0. It also feels like it really could do with another 50bhp or so.

For context I always hit book figures for fuel economy in my cars and I'm currently getting 28mpg from a 4.2 V8 XJ8 while making progress that you'd have to work the diesel with 2/3rds the power very hard to match.

Mine cost so much to run I'd have been better off with an S-Type R or NASP 4.2.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's not that balanced, is it ? I should say that my '04 recently passed 180K miles, is still going strong, hardly gave me any trouble in 80+k mls & I averaged in mid 40's mpg. The engines don't just grenade without warning either but keeping them running is usually down to servicing- higher mileage ones can suffer from a bit of play in the crank though.
    I would say that you really want to buy a pre-DPF one & that's going to be a 14-15 year old car now, so rust is almost inevitable. There IS something to be said about getting another 3.0 litre maybe ? There're plenty around & much cheaper than the diesel, unless that's what you really want. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    How about a diesel 358 xj?